“The Urban Bush Woman Does Amalfi”
Review of Miramalfi Hotel

Miramalfi Hotel
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 27 November 2007

Although born and raised in Los Angeles' most violent community, South Central, my mother managed to steer us away from the lure of the streets and instill a sense of wanderlust in each of her children. As a result I love to travel.

Most recently, thanks to a very generous birthday gift from two of my best friends, I visited Italy for the very first time. An 11-day, whirlwind Trafalgar bus tour with two-nights in several cities. Absolutely exhilarating and exhausting! Loved every minute. Especially the two nights at the Miramalfi on the Amalfi Coast.

The immaculate property boasts amazing views of Amalfi's legendary coastline. My simple, but well-appointed room was not carpeted, but rather featured the beautiful green-blue hand painted tile for which the region is famous.

The chilly November weather made the floor a bit frosty, but I imagine that during Italy's summer months the tile is a welcomed respite from scorching temperatures.

Each room features a balcony overlooking the placid waters and coastline. A favorite memory is upon arrival standing on my balcony listening to my tour bus mates on every floor oohing and aahing over their first impression of the view.

Back downstairs the dining room proved to be typical of that I'd experienced in most of the hotel dining rooms I visited across the country. The food was functional a best. The service efficient, if not overly enthusiastic.

My internal clock all askew, I awakened at 4 a.m. and went in search of the hotel's computer (I was on vacation , so my laptop was left at home). I rode the elevator down from my 4th floor room to the lobby only be be greeted by total darkness-- not a soul in sight. My attention was immediately drawn to a sound coming from somewhere in the vicinity of a sofa in the corner of the lobby. I was only momentarily spooked until I realized it was only the soft snoring of an exhausted desk clerk.

Not to disturb him/her, I returned to my room and waited until a more Godly hour to inquire about the computer. Which, by the way, I was graciously offered free usage for my earlier inconvenience. An unsolicited, but welcomed gesture.

Should this Urban Bush Woman travel again to the Amalfi Coast, the Miramalfi Hotel has my business hands down.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank UrbanBushWoman

Reviewed 20 November 2007

This hotel is designed for ease of maintenance.......all the rooms were tiled and very simply furnished BUT with incredible views, lovely large terraces and an unbelievably low price. The terraces are furnished with a small table and 2 chairs, 2 lounges which were wonderful to for romantic nights under the moon and stars. There were flowering vines and potted geraniums adorning all the terraces. The breakfast consisted of fruit, yogurt, cereal, croissant, cakes and juices…enough to sustain you until dinner time. The wait staff was extremely attentive and the large dining room offered a wonderful view of Amalfi and the sea. Location! Location! Location. Miramalfi is an easy walk to the city. I recommend taking the stairs and avoid being on the roads. Miramalfi…a best value!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shoppetalk
Reviewed 20 October 2007

This is a good standard hotel in a fabulous position.

Other reviewers have justly raved about the view from the hotel. From the pool, the restaurant and the bedrooms you are treated to what must be one of the most wonderful prospects in Europe. Guests have commented about the view over Amalfi from rooms at the eastern end of the hotel but those from the west are hardly less inspiring and have the benefit of evening sun on the balcony.

Both public spaces and bedrooms are well maintained and decorated. The pool area is spectacular. Some have complained about the size of the bedrooms but I cannot agree. Our superior room, whilst not huge, was of a good size with ample space for storage and a good sized bathroom. All was kept spotlessly clean.

We found service to be good from all the staff. Reception was friendly and efficient and staff were helpful to us with advice during our stay. Bar and restaurant staff were also very good and levels of staffing were more than adequate. On the down side, they were very anxious to make sure that the tip was not forgotten but then this is Italy!

Reviewers have commented about the food. We felt that this was not the hotel's strongest feature; a 3 rather than a 4. It often promised more on the menu than it delivered on the plate. Although acceptable, it tended to be bland, felt prepared to a price and never rose above satisfactory.

The price you pay for the stunning view is that the Miramalfi is a good fifteen minute walk up a fairly steep hill from town. This is a deterrent to an evening stroll and is a bit of a disadvantage. There are, however, at least three different routes back and two of them (along the harbour and best of all through the upper part of the town) avoid most of the traffic. There is also a fairly frequent if unpredictable bus service.

All in all this is a good hotel offering good value for money in a stunning location. It is cheaper than many in what is quite an expensive region and doesn't require too many compromises. We would certainly use it again

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank Skwirral
Reviewed 18 October 2007

My husband and I recently spent a week at the Miramalfi. We had booked a superior room but were disappointed to find that it was rather small with little shelving or drawers. The bathroom was also rather cramped and lacked a shelf. However the balcony was large and the view spectacular.

We had booked half-board and found the standard of food somewhat patchy. Breakfast buffet was poor and dinner usually OK.

We found the staff helfpul and professional and of course the position of the hotel is wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DevonEnglandSheila
Reviewed 6 October 2007

I stayed at Miramalfi with my partner for six weeks in August. The hotel has a nice lobby with excellent desk staff who are always willing to help. Rooms are spacious, but rather dated, and pretty noisy in terms of being able to hear other guests. The bed we had in our room definitely needed replacing and was not comfortable.

The pool area is very pleasant, there are loads of small areas so you get a nice feeling of privacy, and can swim either in the pool or the sea. Views from the hotel of Amalfi are lovely.

The hotel is well situated, a bit away from Amalfi so you don't get the noise you would if you were in the middle of it, but close enough to make it easy to go out for a drink/meal in the village. The walk does involve a lot of steps, so this is not an ideal choice if you are elderly, have mobility issues, or are unfit. There are shuttle buses but these are not that frequent.

Amalfi is a really nice little town, with more to see than you would expect from its size because of its quite illustrious history. There are many nice restaurants, of varying prices, though to get good cheap food veer away from the main square and shopping street.

Do not eat at the hotel. While the restaurant has nice views of the city, the food (we ate there one night) is by far the worse we had in 10 days in Italy, being bland and using processes ingredients (e.g. tomato paste rather than fresh tomatoes). As there are so many good places in the town, this is to be avoided.

Overall, the hotel has a number of good points, especially the helpfulness of the staff, but some negatives such as datedness of accommodation and the quality of the restaurant. While it is sold as a four star in many places, I would class its as a three in terms of quality, which does make it quite expensive.

I would definitely recommend the Amalfi Coast as a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed 25 September 2007

What a beautiful town! Quaint and charming, traditional italian, just what you imagine it to be. The miramalfi was a great hotel to stay at, not in the heart of town, so peaceful, yet an easy walk either on the road or by the stairs to the centre of town. The room was amazing, that view, truly magical. The fact we had sun lounges on our patio overlooking the ocean, was unexpected but fantastic and we used it fully to enjoy the great weather. The staff were helpful with suggestions, and the rooms very neat and clean. Only fault, was we were not allowed to to ironing in our room, for this we had to organise housekeeping and the fact we sent away washing which took 3 days to be returned.
Overall though would highly recommend the hotel and will definately return again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kjc2100
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Everything was absolutely delightful ... view, pool, rooms. The front desk staff was a little aloof, we had to pull information out of them, but they always came through. Stay here, you'll love it. And be sure to visit Ravello; the views are amazing.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple