“Nothing negative from us!”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Just returned from a wonderful week here. Please don't listen to any negative reviews. You're in one of the most beautiful places in Italy so it's very easy to overlook any small imperfections. Rooms are charming, adequate and clean. We had a nice sized balcony overlooking the sea. Views are spectacular. Food is ample and tasty. The staff are so friendly and accommodating. Free shuttle offers great service to Amalfi all day long (approximately 15 minute drive). Pogerola is a quaint village about 15 minute walk (uphill) from the hotel where there is a small variety store, Gerry's Pub, La Campinina Restaurant and small grocery store ...great place to buy very cheap beers, water, etc. Sita bus very cheap and convenient....I believe it's 6 euro for a 24 hours pass to hop on and off as many times as you like. Timetables are extremely punctual including boat service. This is our first trip to Italy and definitely not our last. We have no hesitation whatsoever to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in 311. A/C was good. Views awesome. I believe every room has a great view so you can...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank smittee3
Write a ReviewReviews (1,079)

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We had 2 weeks at this hotel through tomsons package half board and breakfast never changes not good and evening meal is not good and your have to wait for hotel bus or pay a local bus to get into Amaifi centre . Pool is ok and rooms but nothing else to do . We paid a lot of money but not got value for money .

Room Tip: Need a car or waste of time and money staying here
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Excelsior Hotel is located in picturesque part of Amalfi overlooking stunning waters of Tyrrhenian Sea.
While some reviewers note that the hotel is rather dated, in my view, it has been simply kissed by time. It could perfectly be set for one of those retro Italian movies with divas like Sophia Loren and Gina Lollobrigida attending parties thrown there. In 60-70s the hotel was definitely epitome of glamour and grandeur. And even today, this grand dame still maintains its charm.
I stayed on the sixth floor of the main hotel building with room overlooking the sea. The room was located very close to elevator and despite my concerns about noise I was not disturbed by it. The room itself was clean with spacious bathroom compromising of shower cubicle, toilet and bide. The bed was comfortable, while the room was cleaned on daily basis. It also had nice size balcony, which offered stunning views of mountains and Amalfi marina, perfect for a relaxing evening topped up with glass of wine or champagne.
I stayed in the hotel for one week on half-board basis. Quality of service and catering was very good.
Buffet breakfast compromised of selection of cold meat (salami and ham), hot grilled bacon and grilled sausages. You could have your bacon with scrambled or hard boiled eggs, fresh tomatoes or cucumbers. Food was fresh and of very good quality. If you prefer cakes and croissants for breakfast, the hotel offers wide selection of those as well, including apricot and lemon cakes, banana bread and traditional ricotta cake. You should definitely try custard doughnuts – they were absolutely delicious.
Selection of meals for dinner was diverse and of very good quality and catered both to vegetarians, meat and fish eaters. I found dishes light and very tasty and portions of nice and healthy size. Do not expect massive sizes, but size of food served won’t make you feel hungry.
I had lunch in the hotel twice and pizza was absolutely delicious.
The hotel operates shuttle bus which takes you to the centre of Amalfi. The first bus departs for Amalfi at 7:45. While there are some sort of pavements for pedestrians, I would not walk to the town centre. The roads are too narrow and traffic at times can be quite hectic. Ask for timetable at the reception and keep it with you to plan your trips to and from Amalfi. The same shuttle bus will also take you to the beach. To go to the beach you will go through villa like building of the hotel and then by lift to the coast. The hotel charges 10 euro for beach entry. The pebble beach is not big but it is clean and has good capacity to accommodate hotel customers. Upon arrival you will be allocated a parasol and a deck chair. Water in the sea is clean and warm throughout summer months, but be aware of jelly fish.
The beach has outdoor shower where you can rinse off after swimming in the sea. The hotel runs small bar on the beach selling light snacks and drinks.
In overall, I had very good experience in the hotel and returned feeling rested and recuperated. I would definitely come back again and for longer period of time.

Room Tip: The higher ,the better! Make sure you ask for sea view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Livie709
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel as it only had one fault.that being the bed was too uncomfortable .one suggestion also would be that they have some piped music at the pool area .
The rest is all good news:staff Excellent,
Pool :deep enough for a swim.
Views are unsurpassed because of the height of the hotel.
Food was ok without being fantastic.there are no other places to eat that are real close.
Value for money:very good.
I would recommend this accommodation to others.
Decor was very Italian,nice tiles and bathroom on the 1st floor.our friends had the 3rd floor and it wasn't quite as good.
The free shuttle bus meant you were constantly going down to Amalfi town before you went anywhere.,but hey it is all about the view..
I would rather stay at Positano next time .

Room Tip: To get a balcony table during your stay.
1  Thank Hardiman_11
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, had a sea view balcony room which had probably the best view I've ever had from a hotel room.

Good sized pool and the bar and restaurant were excellent, the staff were very friendly and welcoming.

The only negative would be that the hotel probably hasn't been refurbished since the 70s, looking a bit dated and tired and I almost expected a young Michael Caine to appear round the corner. Our room definitely needed a redecoration but this didn't ruin our stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Having just returned from this hotel in Amalfi, I would like to add a bit to the previous reviews. We booked and travelled with Thompsons, had a room on the 1st floor and were dreading it as the trees blocking the view were mentioned a few times. Folks, the trees have been beheaded, the view wonderful! The airport transfer was marred by the mini bus running out of fuel on a lonely mountain road, and we waited over an hour to be rescued...but the rep got us a free bottle of wine as compo. I do agree with others the hotel is old fashioned but it was charming, comfortable and everything worked apart from the aircon. The half board plan would have been better had the evening meal been edible, most nights we picked our way through rubbish. There is an a la carte menu and I feel sure the set menu was so poor we would choose from the a la carte and so pay extra. The breakfast was OK with rolls, jam, cakes (?) hard boiled eggs...the usual mish mash to please everyone. Great coffee. The best thing we found was to eat a BIG lunch out and just show up for dinner to see if there would be a surprise that night....the hotel is situated about 4 miles from Amalfi in Pergerola up a tortuous windy road, a shuttle bus is complimentary into town every hour or so which is welcome, but up and down that road is a real pain in a shaky rattly mini bus. However I would rather be closer to town in future so wouldn't opt for this hotel again, although the views from the terraces were outstanding. The tours were good but heftily priced, but suited us as we had never been to this area before. Pompeii and Herculaneum were the outstanding highlights. Thompson reps OK and the people in the hotel friendly. Nice pool, but lots and lots of steps to get anywhere around the hotel so if mobility is an issue try somewhere more on the level.

Room Tip: The trees blocking some of the views from the first floor rooms have been lopped, so all have a vew...
1  Thank Shelley W
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had a very spacious and large room with a lovely balcony offering stunning views of the Amalfi coast and town. The hotel is not located in the heart of town, so a shuttle bus operates to a timetable, to take guests to and from the township. The breakfast was a typical European one, which was not the most suitable for me as I am coeliac, but luckily I travel with my own cereal. I also had eggs especially cooked for me each morning as the scrambled eggs contained gluten, however I missed toast with my egg, but for non coeliacs the breakfast was lovely with freshly cooked banana bread among the many offerings of pastries and breads. Breakfast could be eaten outside on the balcony or inside the restaurant, so the choice is yours. Front office staff were very friendly and the maître de was very aware of gluten free, and made sure that I was catered for at dinner too and remembered me each time, which made ordering so much easier. Overall I really enjoyed this hotel, but it is a little out of the way

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends