“Horrible sums it up!”

Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
hemel hempstead
“Horrible sums it up!”
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This hotel is a must to avoid in my book. After reading the reviews I felt safe in the knowledge that I had done my research, however I was proved wrong! We were due to stay in the hotel for four nights in a garden view room. When we checked in all the desk staff were very nice and helpful but it was down hill from there on. We were offered a room in the villa which we thought would be great. All looked nice but was a little out of the way for two of us on our own so we asked for a room in the hotel. The staff organised this in due course and showed us the room which was like a 1970's youth hostel room with horrible green bedroom furniture but we decided to give it a go. On further inspection we discovered nasties in the bed and all over the bathroom and shower. We complained to the front office who said they would upgrade us to a seaview room for a slight discount but that was it. At this point we were none too happy and decided we would not stay. The manager hid behind reception whilst watching one of the desk staff try to charge us for the room which we were not prepared to do. Eventually a member of staff went and saw the horrible evidence and agreed that we should not pay the charge. I was disgusted by the managers attitude and cowardice not to deal with the situation himself. He seems to have no pride in the business or give a damn about his customers. The main hotel is run down and in need of a make over not to mention a serious thorough clean! I was glad to be out of this hotel, be careful when making your choice. Other reviews are very good yes but just be weary.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vickster1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Leguevin, France
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Very pleasant stay in a nice hotel with very good service and support from the hotel team. Major point is the hotel team.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

We only stayed for 4 days, just wish it could of been more. Everybody was so kind and helpful especially the wonderful Simona and Mena.
I will be taking Italian lessons and returning to the hotel next year for longer !!!!!!

Michael

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The staff and their attentive service made all the difference. The manager made some really good suggestions as to where to eat, where to buy certain things and how to get around. We had no problems getting around by bus, it stopped right next to the hotel.
We were very pleased with the vast choices and the freshness of the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 3 July 2010

I have just returned from a 7 night stay at this hotel with a friend. I think it is a fantastic hotel really good value. We had a room on the top floor and the views were to die for.
The staff were friendly and nothing was to much trouble for them. The breakfast was good with lots of choice. The hotel is very clean. Location is good just a fifteen min walk into town and the Sita bus stops just outside(you can go anywhere along the whole coast on one of those!) If I have any moans at all it would be the beds are a bit hard but it is a 3*. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 30 June 2010

When I arrived at the Hotel Dei Cavallieri it was mid afternoon. I was asked for my name and I was given a key to my room. Room 407. A guy took me up in the lift and showed me to my room. He was really nice but didn't speak a word of English. The room was basic but I expected that. I had a beautiful view from my window over the coast. But underneath me there were lines and lines of washing (towels & Sheets from the hotel). You couldn't sleep in as they were in and out chatting all morning. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights as I was there for my Best Friends Wedding. The room was cleaned OK and towels were changed every day. The towels were not the best they were off whitish and very hard.

When I was checking out the receptionist informed me that they had already charged by visa card which i thought was very unprofessional and I wasn't impressed as I wanted to pay cash. She informed me that she couldn't reverse the transaction and i needed to sign the receipt. I refused, She also went on to tell me that i owed her €30 for a towel that i had got mascara on .. I mean a corner of the towel and the other towel was dirty so i was to pay or else they were taking it from my Credit Card. I requested to see the towels and the maid whom didnt have a word of english either brought them up to me and was saying that it was hair dye. I have blonde hair and the mascara on the towel was black ... I couldn't see the logic in what she was saying. I refused to pay the money ... After all thats what you pay for when you book a room in a hotel ., If your not sopposed to use the towels then the hotel shouldn't supply them. I have to say i would never stay at this hotel again and i would not recommend it. They chanced there arm too with some of the other guests in my party looking up to 80 euro for towels as they said they couldnt get the dirt out of them, .. I wouldn't mind but the towels here were as old as the hills and would nearly take a layer of skin off your body. My advise to them would be to buy a new washing machine.My Advise to anyone thinking of staying at this hotel would be not to bother. There is nothing there, Its costs €20 each way up and down to the town and around a 20 min walk. Taxis stop at 1230 each evening so if your not in bed by 12 you'll be walking heart attack hill.. If you want to be treated like Cinderella then by all means stay here. My Advise would be not to. There are cheaper and better hotels in the town......Would never ever stay here again and I can safely say that no one in my party would either.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Amalfi hotels

BUCAREST
Reviewed 7 June 2010

The staff is very friendly and helpfull, the decoration is fantastic, the breakfast is fresh and rich. Amalfi city centre is 10 minutes walk distance. The parking is free. Very good price for the room with sea view. Ideal for romantic couples! We wil come back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple