“Lovely B&B, great location, excellent service.”
Review of Villa Lara

Villa Lara
Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We recently visited Amalfi which was a great base to visit the Amalfil Coast.
We discovered Villa Lara on the internet and were not disappointed. Nello and his staff offered personal elegant service in a lovely location, perfect for exploring the town and area.
Breakfast was excellent( served on the beautiful terrace when weather permitted) and the room quiet and clean. Front desk always attentive. The pictures are an accurate representation of what we found, unlike some other places.
Nello is an excellent host and we would not hesitate to reccommend this hotel.

Reviewed 30 September 2010

We've not even arrived home yet (still in Rome) and I'm already writing a review of Villa Lara because I think I can save a lot of people a lot of unnecessary researching. My husband and I are world travelling surfers (not just for fun but also for business) so we've been to A LOT of countries and stayed in A LOT of places. For the first time in our lives, we decided to take a non-surfing vacation for our honeymoon. The Amalfi Coast always sounded like a beautifully romantic place that honeymooners go, so we gave it a shot. For such a quaint little place, I didn't realize it would take SO MUCH research to figure out what town to sta in, how to get there, how to get around, etc. And on top of that, the towns are small which means they book up fast so that added to a lot of frustration, reading review after review just to find out that the place was all booked.

Anyway, when I was on my third night of reading hotel reviews for the Amalfi Coast, I finally just went with one of the first responses I got back and it was Villa Lara. They not only responded the quickest, we totally lucked out. The B&B is located on the main street of Amalfi Town just past all the tourist chaos and up on a high hill overlooking the entire town with a spectacular view of the hills. There are 188 steps (we counted) to get up to the place BUT there's a killer ELEVATR so you never really have to take the stairs unless you ate to much pasta that night.

We stayed in the junior suite and it was really spacious, always clean and comfortable. Every morning we had a delicious breakfast served by the nicest fella (Alessandro) with fresh baked croissants and sliced ham/cheese and all the cappucinos or espressos you desire. One of th owners, Nello was usually there too and always ready to make sure you had everything you needed and were happy with your stay. He was a super smart guy too and had some classic takes on philosophy and the global economy. He runs a tight ship and it shows.

Here's the clincher for Villa Lara...I accidentally left 2 dresses in the closet after leaving for Rome and Nello wrote to tell me. I asked him if he could post them to me in Rome. He told me that the Italian post is not too reliable and that he would arrange to have the dresses delivered to me somehow. He wrote me everyday giving me an update on what plans he was trying to make to get me my 2 dresses, and finally he wrote to say that a guest was headed for Rome and would bring the dresses with him and leave them at his hotel reception. All I had to do was go to his hotel near Termini train station and pick them up. It didn't cost me a cent! That's the kind of customer service that sets Villa Lara aside from any other hotel, resort, B&B, hostel, surf palapa I've ever stayed at. It's completely refreshing and that's why I HIGHLY recommend anyone planning to go to Amalfi to stay at Villa Lara.

p.s. Amalfi is also centrally located between Sorrento and Salerno and has the quickest access to Ravello so I thought it was an ideal town to stay in. Also, if the weather is nice and the sea calm, DEFINITELY take the ferries from town to town...SO much easier, faster and less nauseating than the buses and almost the same cost!

2  Thank surfer_girl_79
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Amalfi is one of the most beautiful place we have ever been.
We arrived right on wednesday, market day, so we wondered around shopping and bargaining as Nello from villa lara told us. We stayed there 4 days and had nice time, our room was an attic room , spacious and lighty , but we were most of the time in the lobby and on the terraces. The villa is clean and comfortable, just far from the noices of the main square, too many tourists there. We could read, relax and enjoy the view. Certainly to reccomend.

Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed 3 nights at Villa Lara. Fist 2 nights in a double room then they upgraded us for free to a junior suite for the last night. The double room was fine but the junior suites are lovely and recommend you try for one of those with the in room jacuzzi.
We had a little trouble finding the Villa as we were self driving and it is tucked away up what at first appeared to be a pedestrian street but we got there eventually. Staff were nice and helpful and the view over the town and ocean, set in amongst the cliffs was great to wake up to each morning. Great access to nearby Amalfi Coast towns and Island of Capri

Reviewed 20 September 2010

Just returned from a weeks break in stunning Amalfi. Chose the Villa Lara for its location just a short distance from the bustling square and 8 minutes walk to the beach. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and could not do enough to help. Villa Lara has 2 stunning terraces and after a day of sightseeing or taking a boat over to Capri it was lovely to unwind back at Villa Lara. There are so many places to eat in Amalfi that we opted for Villa Lara as it only serves breakfast. Make sure you take a trip by boat to Santa Cruz beach - very special and only costs a few Euros, also has an amazing beach.
So much to do and see, - Capri, Positana and Ravello all come highly recommended.
You certainly will not be dissapointed with the Villa Lara and the friendliness of the staff.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

My husband and I were so excited about staying at Villa Lara because of its excellent location in Amalfi. Unfortunately, the trip quickly turned into a disaster. We made our reservationt through Travelocity in January for our trip in August. I confirmed the reservation then two weeks before our trip. I wrote to Villa Lara twice requesting directions and parking information. They never responded.

This appeared to be an excellent reservation at a very low rate of $120 a night. It seemed a deal too good to be true - and it was.

After the twisting, terrifying drive out to Amalfi by car, we pulled over near the town to call Villa Lara and request directions, as the main road to the hotel is closed to auto traffic. The young man at reception told us that he did not have our reservation. He was reluctant to give us directions to the hotel. We finally persuaded him to allow us access.

When I arrive, another older gentleman arrived at reception to assist the younger man. When I asked why they did not have our reservation, they simply shrugged. They could no have cared less. They would never even look at our reservation papers which confirmed our reservation. It was very disheartening.

The older man told me he would put me up at Hotel Centrale, which is right in the center of main square opposite the church. No doubt, very, very noisy as well. I objected, as we had a confirmed reservation at Villa Lara, which we had selected due to its quiet, out-of-town location. When I told the guy I did not want the reservation at Centrale, he became furious with me, telling me that "Americans only care about money." He screamed that his Father has twelve children to support and he worked two jobs to support his two kids. I could not believe these people considered this behavior in any way hospitable. I thought the guy was going to toss me out of the hotel! We had traveled around Italy, but had never encountered this kind of poor behavior before.

I got on the phone with Travelocity (which is actually located in Bombay! Imagine trying to communicate with people speaking Indian as their first language with those speaking Italian and their first language with me speaking English. It was a nightmare.) Travelocity told me it wasn't really their responsibility because the reservation was not pre-paid!

Finally, the receptionist next door to Villa Lara (they have a sister hotel) volunteered to give us a room for the night, but not at the rate we had reserved our original room. We paid over $100 more. At that point, it was late in the day, and we felt we had no choice but to take the offer (the room in that hotel was very pleasant, by the way).

Thus, I cannot recommend staying this hotel, as this seemed something like a scam to me. I suspect they simply gave my room away to someone who paid a much higher price and did not think we would object to what occurred. They certainly had no interest in trying to figure out why they did not have our reservation, confirmed only two weeks before, which seemed very peculiar indeed.

And I can't recommend using Travelocity for your reservations here (or perhaps anywhere), no matter how cute their little gnome is. It was like David fighting Goliath. They said they would reimburse me for the price difference in the hotels (after fighting with them for over an hour), but they never did. They would not reimburse me for anything else, including the phone call from Italy to India, which cost over $100.

I recommend that when traveling abroad, using a pre-paid reservation facility, like Priceline. I also had excellent luck with Venere in Itay.

Amalfi is beautfiul and well worth the trip, despite it being full of tourists. Just be careful and confirm your reservation - call the hotel in Italy if you have to before you leave home. Also, take a boat to get there (they even have boats out of Pompeii) beause the drive is truly dangerous and will detract from you enjoyment. There is little to no parking in Amalfi and the few garages available are very costly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
villalara, Manager at Villa Lara, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2010

1. We did not have your reservationat all from Travelocity and even never received any requests of yours, usually we reply in the next days
2. We give informations to any guests also to the unconfirmed reservations.
3. We have been phoning 10 hotels in Amalfi and Praiano also, as you requested, and offering accomodations at different rates , all the time you have refused. (????? probably you wanted to cheat Travelocity or us )
4. Amalfi in August is overbooked as we kept saying.
5. You have spent one hour talking with India and Usa ( how much money did you spend ? )
6. We take care only of the reviews wrote by guests who have stayed with us and not those who have never booked or been here.
7. Good luck

Reviewed 8 September 2010

What a surprise to find this little gem in Amalfi. I have travelled a number of times to Amalfi and only this time did I find Villa Lara to stay. It was everything I could have hoped for and the best place i have stayed in my many years travelling to Italy. My true italian experience. It is beautiful and very romantic. The grounds are amazing and the view of an evening exceptional. The location is great, only a few minutes walk through the centre, the rooms are spacious, clean and beautifully decorated on top of very friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple