“A cozy room on a rainy day!”

Residenza del Duca Hotel
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We were able to book this last-minute on Easter weekend. We, luckily, got the last room and it was great! We were in room 2, where there is one mini-balcony and one large balcony that both face the ocean. Although much of the view of the ocean was blocked by other buildings, its center-ville setting allowed for a community feel. We could see the bustle of business below as well as visitors enjoying outside dining in the small square in front of the building. We slept with both balcony doors open, and were greeted with the early-morning smells of cinnamon bread at 5 am. We are also very close to the church, so the bells were another bonus. Daniella and the others were very nice and so helpful with dinner ideas, early morning wake-ups, and breakfast service. The internet worked like and charm and there was a few channels in English on the TV. We actually spent a lot of time in our room because of the rain, but enjoyed the traditional decor and beautiful tiled floors and bathroom. There was also a really nice Jacuzzi shower with 11 jets and two heads. A word of warning though, I would not stay here if you have any trouble with stairs, as there are a few flights that you must conquer to get to the hotel, but I enjoyed the little exercise it added to our day. Make sure you also take note of the parking situation, as someone from the hotel will need to meet you at the town square and park your car, because of the tight streets.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Daniela M, Direttore at Residenza del Duca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for the friendly report. It will be very helpfull for other guests.
We are so sorry for the bad weather and we promise you'll find the sun the next time you're coming!
All the best
Daniela & family.

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was the first place my sister and I stayed in whilst travelling Italy together, and it was amazing! The rooms are just how you see them in the pictures, the breakfast was so yummy and the owners are so friendly :) It is very central and right in town. We had an amazing time here in Amalfi, deferentially one of our favourites!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank BreannaEwen
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Staying at this small & charming little inn/hotel really made my stay in the Amalfi coast that much more memorable. I liked how its tucked away at the side of stone steps, hiding it away from the hustle & bustle of the main square, yet not being completely out of the way of all the action.

The rooms were beautiful, comfortable & clean (with card key entrances) and my room had a mountain facing view with the Duomo in the foreground. Also, a delicious but simple breakfast was provided in the roof-top terrace every morning; making the breakfast eating experience a part of the trip experience.

The owners of the hotel were extremely polite and very kind, they made us feel very comfortable here.

I want to visit Amalfi Coast again in the near future and I'll be staying at this hotel for sure. I have recommended many other friends who want to visit Amalfi, of this same hotel as well.

Room Tip: Doesn't have any elevators, so luggages have to be carried to the top floor by a flight of many...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank I A
camillaagerola, Proprietario at Residenza del Duca Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear Sirs,
thanks for the positive report on our structure.
Your feedback is very important because it helps us to improve our work better.
We hope to see you soon in our house
Andrea

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My room was small because I was a solo traveller. It was just enough room. The tile detail was amazing! I didn't like the hours of the desk clerk, as I had difficulty when I was back at the hotel (only in the morning and at night after sightseeing) they weren't there and I wasn't able to pay them. Upon leaving I simply left a note stating to charge my credit card. Breakfast was wonderful and the outdoor terrace was nice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank may1787
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We said that we would return in October and we did! If anything it was even more enjoyable and relaxing. Guess what we have reserved our room for April 2012.

Room Tip: All 6 rooms have their own character, all are different.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

What a beautiful little hotel over looking the church and rooftops of gorgeous Amalfi!

We stayed in the Gisulfo II room which had a king bed, private terrace, small refrigerator and air conditioning. One set of french windows looking out to the ocean and a small piazza and another leading onto a private terrace complete with huge sunbeds, umbrella and small table and chairs, what more could u want?
The staff were lovely and always helpful and smiling. Breakfast was certainly simple by Aussie standards but that was the case everywhere in Italy, to the Italians croissants, cold meats, fruit and cheese IS breakfast, its different and that is why u travel to the other side of the world.
The stairs were no problem at all, yes about 70 or so but I am not fit at all and was not concerned with them, just took my time.
The town tour offered to tourists was very interesting and helps u appreciate the history of Amalfi, it was nice of the hotel owners to tell us about it and book us in.
From here:

-Positano was a great day trip!! Shopping here was great so take some extra $$$.
-Ravello is also DEFINITELY not to be missed. Catch the bus up, take a camera with a LOT of battery and space. You must eat at the Hotel Villa Maria for lunch, amazing food on outdoor terrace, 5 star service and the most spectacular veiw!!!!

We loved Amalfi, its surrounding towns and Hotel Residenza!!!

Oh!! if you want real italian food where the locals eat go to Trattoria Da Maria Pizzieria!! Woww was the food here amazing and it is right on the main cobblestone street so easy to find.

Thanks for an amazing stay!

Room Tip: Gisulfo is the one with the terrace and is worth the extra $$
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BeckFSiro
Reviewed 2 October 2011

All of the reviews here have covered the good points and I can only concur: friendly staff, spotless rooms, fridges, air con, simple but good breakfast and lovely outdoor terrace. We had two rooms during our stay; a simpler cheaper room at the back and then the most expensive room at the front with the private deck. I have to say that both are stunningly and tastefully decorated. However the cheaper room had a tiny shower and suffers from continual footfalls of neighbours above and beside. Our experience in this room was one of the noisiest in Italy. How pleasant then to move rooms and find no one above us, a lovely view of the square below but best of all, a huge shaded deck with divinely comfortable sun lounges to while away the afternoons on. Of course Amalfi is as noisy as any other Italian town (they would probably say its peaceful) so you need good noise canceling headphones on for peace but we didn't find the screaming kids mentioned in another review too bad. The church bells are endless though and seriously get a bit much. We stayed here on a Sunday and it's crazy with weddings, spontaneous roaming bands and miscellaneous fireworks displays. Thankfully each night the noise dissipates and sleep is good. The windows are double glazed and shuttered and the beds are terrifically comfortable with 5 star pillows - lofty and not too soft. In five weeks of travelling I have been yet to find such great pillows! Also tea and coffee facilities in each room is something we take for granted but rarely seen in Europe so this is another plus. Just bear in mind that you will have to climb the 76 steps from the street to your room each day and I saw every guest puffing from the climb. Also the wifi has patchy coverage but does make it into the expensive rooms most of the time. It's fine in the lounge and breakfast area though. All up, a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2011