“Unreasonable hotel owner breaks promises and was astoundingly rude”
Review of Hotel La Ninfa

Hotel La Ninfa
Ranked #22 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
London, United Kingdom
“Unreasonable hotel owner breaks promises and was astoundingly rude”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was the most horrid and frustrating customer service I have ever experienced in my life.

We booked Hotel La Ninfa for my birthday trip to the Amalfi Coast. ONLY A WHOLE MONTH after the booking, the hotel owner called me saying that he's unable to fulfill my special request for the room (I requested a particular room of the Double Room, Sea View class of rooms) because that room has already been booked. I understand, of course, that special requests are not guaranteed and at the hotel's discretion, but then the hotel owner said, and I quote, that "he would be happy to CANCEL MY BOOKING because he prides himself on CUSTOMER SATISFACTION." I asked him to repeat himself - if he's willing to cancel. He said yes.

I then took him up on his promise. I booked another hotel (of course, after a month the prices have risen, but regardless that's what I did), and called back asking him to cancel. He said I have to call the booking website (Expedia). But when I called Expedia and they tried to confirm with him, he denied any of the above happening, and that he is UNWILLING to refund me. I then requested a three-way telephone conversation. After much heated discussion, he FINALLY admitted he said the word "cancel," but meant not what one would usually understand the word to mean IN ITS ORDINARY MEANING IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, but "cancel" as in modifying the date. Which is frankly a ridiculous excuse, and the Expedia Customer Service agent agreed with me on this.

Even if he meant the latter, I think all reasonable people would agree that this misunderstanding is largely due to his own fault in misusing the word, and even if it is due to the fault of both parties (which would be quite a thing to say because he did say the word "cancel"), if he truly values customer satisfaction as he said he did, he would refund me because he can easily have the room rebooked, the hotel being as popular as it is. Alas, he refuses to do so.

EVEN MORE UNREASONABLY, when I tried to concede to modifying the date to sometime in the future, he said I could only modify the date to one day earlier, which is RIDICULOUS because I have told him on MULTIPLE occasions that my flight is on the 30th. Why would modifying the date to the 29th help me in any regard? He clearly was being exceedingly unhelpful.

What's more, he was also EXCEEDINGLY RUDE. When I asked to speak to a manager, not knowing he was the owner of the hotel, he snappishly said, "I am a little better than that, I am the hotel owner." And when I explained that I am a student and could hardly afford to double book, he said, "So you are. How nice. Nice to meet you."

In the end, I got refunded for half of what I paid. One may say 100-something pounds is not much of a loss considering I could get no refund at all, but it was unacceptable because I should not have to pay even a single pound.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
38 Thank AngeleLL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Korean first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff were very well informed and extremely helpful. It was a little bit out of town, but we enjoyed the beautiful walk back and forth. The view from the hotel was truly magnificent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carroll D
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed at La Ninfa for 2 nights, and service was excellent. We arrived at the hotel late in the evening, and in telling them we were interested in a tour to Pompeii the next morning, they immediately called & helped us book a tour even though most of the tour agencies were already closed.

We were give a room right by the roadside, slightly away from the main building where other rooms were & where breakfast was served. It made it a little scary coming out of our hotel room onto the roadside of Amalfi's narrow roads. Water pressure was also almost non-existent and bed was a little hard. However, La Ninfa offered amazing views from our room, as well as from the breakfast area. Breakfast of pastries, coffee & juices is home made by the owner/manager who also stays in the establishment, and always served with a smile.

Pleasant stay overall at this small establishment, with comparable views to the renowned Santa Caterina hotel (as it's on the same side & within walking distance), at a much more reasonable price point.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheNotTakenName
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

We had never been to Amalfi before and it totally exceeded our expectations. Hotel La Ninfa was a perfect location for our stay- within a reasonable walking distance of the main town centre and an abundance of beautiful views of the stunning Amalfi coast. Beautifully quiet with nothing but the waves from the sea to lull you to sleep- wonderful! The food for breakfast was nice and was served on a large balcony overlooking the sea-amazing view! We were delighted to be upgraded for the first two nights of our stay to a superior room which was just off the main hotel with a stunning view and a gorgeous balcony. We had a wonderful honeymoon and would have no hesitation in recommending Hotel La Ninfa :-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Esther D
London
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The positive stuff is: The views are amazing! The breakfast room was nice. We stayed in the junior suite which was a nice room with private balcony over the sea and a lovely bathroom. The place is clean enough and in reasonably good order. I think the reviewer below has been a bit harsh there. Some of the staff were friendly and helpful some not – see below.

The negative stuff is: The bedroom was not properly made up every day. The bed wasn’t made, dirty wine glasses not removed from the room, and it didn’t look vacuumed. In fact I think the only thing they actually did is replace the towels.

There are no kettles or tea making facilities in the rooms which is a big negative for me. If I stay in a hotel I want to be able to make myself a drink and for the price I paid I would expect this.

The breakfast ‘buffet’ is poor – just sickly jam croissants and some dryish cake and a bit of fruit. Nothing savoury at all and no variation. Also some heavily watered down fruit juice and coffee to order. The coffee was ok but you had to ask the cleaner \ breakfast woman to make it. She was often disappearing which made getting more than one cup hard. Also breakfast is served from 8am…on the last day we had to go for our flight by 8 at the latest so at 7.50 I asked for a quick coffee and the woman refused to serve me until 8, indicating she was putting the breakfast out. I explained I had a flight and she just shrugged her shoulders at me in a very rude way and walked off. I find that pretty ridiculous as it was totally deserted with no one else around waiting at 7.50 on Sunday morning, and it would have delayed her breakfast preparations (i.e. putting the dry cake out on a table) by all of 1 minute to make us a coffee.

The location is about a 20-30 minute walk to Amalfi and parts of it are on a winding road with no pavement which felt a little dangerous, particularly at night.

Overall it was a nice enough place and not bad value but just let down by a few things they could easily correct. I hope they listen to comments on here because you would struggle to get better views for any price.

Room Tip: The junior suite is the decent room with the balcony and the amazing views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Richard E
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This place is not a hotel. It hardly meets the requirements for a bed and breakfast. The only good thing it has to offer is its view, but please don't fall for that.

Couple of facts about me before you read on:
-I've lived in Italy and have been to the amalfi coast three times and have also traveled all over the country at numerous other hotels and locations.
-In general, I am an avid traveler, particularly in Europe and have had the taste of everything from 2 star hotels to top-notch 5 star ones. Based on my experience, this is absolutely not a 3 star hotel.

I won't waste your time with a story, but here are the facts:

The purpose of the visit:
- a romantic getaway
- exploring the amalfi coast

Room type:
-Junior Suite: This was meant to be their best room and the only room with a balcony, which in fact, turned out to be simply a small hallway "converted" into a room. There is no bed, there is only a mattress on top of mosaics, so if you move, guess what, your entire "bed" moves. Also, it's the size of a "full bed", meaning even my bed at the age of 16 was larger than this. We were two fairly fit people, and we love cuddling, but this was simply uncomfortable. The bathroom was the nicest feature of this room. Actually the bathroom was the nicest room of this entire "hotel".

General facts:

- dirty, dirty, dirty beyond belief. There were finger nails next to my pillow. There were spots of blood all over the walls (probably from killing insects). They had two plastic chairs and a little table in the middle of the room that had food and stain underneath its glass. After asking the staff to clean it, they cleaned the top of the glass again instead of clearly noticing where the problem was. The dark blue bed cover you see in the nice "hotel" pictures had white spots on it (it wasn't by design)...The "balcony" wasn't much better either. It was completely invaded by ants, so if you decide to sit there on a nice afternoon and sip a glass of wine, you may make some new friends ...of a different specie...also, as a result, having any kind of food in the room is "forbidden" by the management.

Location:

- you HAVE to take the bus to town otherwise plan on walking for a good 30 minutes uphill.
- The views are nice

Breakfast:
-non-existent. They served cake and stale croissants (the ones you get in plastic bags from the supermarket). The cappuccino was good.

The other rooms:
We were terribly unhappy with the Junior suite, but at the sight of seeing the other rooms, we felt "lucky"! The other rooms are even smaller, they don't have balconies and most don't have any views. Also, you have absolutely no privacy here, everyone sees you come and go, everyone hears the fly next door because honestly, they don't have real doors, they have these sliding "doors" that have a little "hook" to close them.

Hotel staff:
Unfriendly and had an attitude. I am not sure if we were the guests or if they were doing us a favor by letting us pay them for this hardly tolerable place.

Overall:

-If you have any sense of minimum standards that you expect from a hotel, avoid this place by all means. This place ruined our holiday, and made everything much more stressful, as we had to wake up with back pain and worrying about what we touch and where we step the whole time.

- if you are used to bed and breakfasts and you are a budget traveler, this place is OK and has nice views.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Kimia M
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was our second stay at the hotel La Ninfa. The first time was in Easter 2011. We rented again the Junior Suite with small balcony. The room from this room is just breathtaking. My wife is in love with this view, and consider this hotel a special place. We always had our breakfast on the balcony to enjoy the view. In my opinion, this hotel has the right feeling for a romantic gateway with your loved one. The hotel is also at walking distance from town, so you can have a nice walk to reach one of the good restaurants in town. I suggest you visit Amalfi in low season. There were very few turist around in November, the weather was a bit rainy but who cared, and costs are very reasonable.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend the Junior Suite