“Beautiful, but too much of a pain”
Review of Hotel Il Nido

Hotel Il Nido
Ranked #12 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Bay Area, CA
“Beautiful, but too much of a pain”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Hotel Il Nido
The hotel was absolutely beautiful. It was by far the prettiest hotel we stayed in during our 2 week trip. Unfortunately, I don’t recommend it.
First of all, I don’t recommend staying in the town of Amalfi. Although a cute town, you don’t need more than a day to see the town. It is a pain to get to/from so I would suggest staying at a more centralized location.
We were lucky enough to catch the ferry from Salerno to Amalfi town. It took about 25 minutes compared to the 55 minute bus ride. When we arrived in Amalfi, we found someone to point us in the right direction to the hotel. We walked to the hotel with our travel-backpacks on. The hotel is perched very high on a hill. It was a horrendous walk with the backpacks. If we had suitcases, the walk would have been even worse. Definitely consider a cab if you have lots of luggage.
When we got to the hotel, the power was out. The front desk couldn’t check our reservation since the power was out and so we were given a room that I thought seemed small compared to the pictures online. I thought I had booked a superior room, but wasn’t certain and also wasn’t certain if I was in the superior room so I didn’t say anything to the front desk. Also, the room was beautiful! The furniture was ornate, we had an AC and fridge, the views were amazing (even though the street lies between the hotel and the sea) and the bathroom was larger than most (but the shower was still Italy- tiny). The balcony was a decent size.
The breakfast was the best we had by far in Italy. They make cappuccino to order and the breakfasts are included in the room fee. We were close to the breakfast area and were woken up by the noise. The doors/walls seem a little too thin.
The women who work at the hotel are so hospital, but then men were not.
The biggest issue with this hotel is that it is about a 20 minute walk to the town center. The walk is very steep and for parts you are walking on the windy road with no sidewalk or shoulder. It is unsafe and even more dangerous at night. There is only 1 place to eat near the hotel, so you are forced to go DOWNtown for most of your meals. By the end of our stay, we were very exhausted from all the walking.
When we arrived home in the USA, I realized we did in fact get the wrong room; we got a standard room. Not only that, they charged us for the superior room. I emailed them and explained the problem. They acknowledged the problem but said all they could do was discount our next stay! I was very unhappy and after I wrote a lengthy email, I finally got them to agree to wire us the difference. When I got the money in my bank account, it was less than what was promised. The hotel claims that my bank must have taken money out of the transfer. My bank did take money out of my account for the transfer, but they didn’t take it out of the transfer itself. The bank sent me proof of the transaction and it appears my bank is the honest one. By that point, I gave up on getting any more money back. The good thing is, the hotel did respond quickly to all my questions.

Room Tip: Not sure you need a superior room, standard is beautiful too!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shmalyson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2011

My friend and I stayed at Il Nido for 5 nights in October. I have stayed there before. This hotel has it all: value for money, friendly helpful staff, all rooms have balconies with views over the ocean, great breakfast also overlooking the ocean. Oh, and free internet access. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the town centre up a steep hill but has great views over Amalfi. We are 60+ but the walk down to town is manageable and 10 euro for a taxi back we found affordable. I find Amalfi the perfect base for touring the Amalfi coast, less expensive than Positano and great ferry and bus service.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook the ocean
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dot G
Texas
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed at Il Nido for 6 days this May. The hotel is located above town, which required a walk down the street and down many stairs to the main area of town. Many of the other hotels in Amalfi are similarly located, including a few 5*, so we didn't consider this a liability. The staff at the hotel was extremely helpful, including Miguel, the Owner, and his daughter, Francesca, who helped us with advice on several matters. wifi is available in the breakfast area. The view from the breakfast room, and from our balcony, was fabulous. The balcony in our room, #12, was quite large.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Cork
Reviewed 14 February 2011

The location is excellent, just a 10 minute walk from the Amalfi centre. The bedroom and balcony was fabulous, very clean and bright. The staff are efficient but never ask how your stay is or barely greet you. Once you dont mind the lack of interpersonal communication, the hotel itself is lovely. There was no information provided on check-in regarding the services available at the hotel. There is no bar or tea/coffee service, but you can go to the hotel across the road for that, Hotel Miramalfi. They are very friendly there, which is very much appreciated. No internet computer available but wi-fi is available once you have your own device.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
MN
Reviewed 22 December 2010

Hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful with directions and recommending somewhere to eat close by. There are restaurants all around so you do not have to go down into town if you choose not too. My only minor complaint is we seemed to get the only room that had the tiniest balcony. Others had lounge chairs for laying in sun - very roomy where ours could barely fit and small plastic table and 2 chairs. We sat out there anyways and enjoyed the gorgeous view of the sea - can't be disappointed for long with a view like that. The room itself was a good size and the breakfast room was beautiful with windows all around looking onto the water and you had a good selection of food to choose from.

• Stayed June 2010
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 25 November 2010

Walking distance to Amalfi, breathtaking view from our private terrace, nice personal and breakfast buffet. Many stairs or elevator. Car parking included. The beds where not the most confortable, and we did here the neighbours walking on top of us but the rest was fantastic!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We stayed there for 2 nights in mid Nov 2010 and the family absolutely loved our stay! We are a family with 2 teens and a younger child and had 2 rooms with excellent seaview. The breakfast was good, especially when we can enjoy it with a great view at the same time, sitting on the balcony facing the sea.
Rooms are clean and big by European standard,a charming boutique hotel indeed.
The hotel has a mini-bus that will pick you from the train station and also send you down to the town when you need to. We had dinner there on both nights and my wife enjoyed the seafood rissoto so much that she had it for 2 nights in a row.! Prices were reasonable, especially when service charges were much lesser than most restaurants. My teens absolutely love the free wifi in their rooms.Our only regret, not staying for at least another night.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family