“Accessibility”

Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
UK
“Accessibility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Be very careful when taking someone who cannot climb stairs. There is a stair lift but it does not go all the way. There are still 50 steps. Otherwise I agree with everything said below.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank dontpushit
raffaeleroma, Proprietario at Le Palme, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
We are pleased to announce that since August last year the hotel can be reached with the help of a stair lift that can carry two people wide with three people without baggage, or for walkers, can still walk the 300 steps.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

400 steps up or a bus to Pergola and 300 steps down... you choose.

Rooms were lovely with a balcony overlooking Amalfi bay, pool and food is served on site. Mini bar is really quite cheap €5 for a bottle of nice local red wine.

They've had a stair lift installed recently, but honestly at the speed it goes (about 0.5mph) you'd be quicker walking if you have backpacks... the ground isn't great in places so if you have suitcases it's probably best to use the intercom at the VERY top of the stairs as you get off at the Excelsior stop... keep your eyes peeled or you could miss it... like we did... ha!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank newoln
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Perhaps the most famous picture of the Amalfi coast is the one from Ravello with the mountains tumbling into the sea in the background. Well, the view from this hotel is more spectacular than that. It is truly heavenly. It is situated up a steep hill (the only way to get dramatic views) but well worth the effort of climbing many stairs. We have 3 kids aged 8, 10 and 12 and they coped well with the effort. If you really want something memorable from your holiday then go for it. The hotel itself is small, family run and as a result is so friendly. Our kids were given ice creams without prompting, and we were treated to lemon coffee. A really lovely experience, and waking up in the morning to those heavenly views....
Petefay

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. I think every room has one anyway.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Le Palme B&B is charming and cozy! Loved the accommodating hosts, Sonia, Antoinetta, Jusy, and Rafaelo, and the services we received! Going to Le PAlme is quite a hike! You take the bus to "Pogerola" from the center of Amalfi, and it takes 5-10 minutes to get there. That was the only concern/difficulty we had. You get free breakfast at the terrace which overlooks the Amalfi coastline. They also have a lift that aids you with your luggages.

Our room in Le Palme was very charming and homey. The bed was comfortable and we also had our own bathroom. The door to our room also gives you a view of the lemon trees and the ocean, which was lovely. There is a mini fridge that had extra beverages and snacks, if ever you are hungry. Also, Sonia made us espresso as we waited for our bus to Amalfi center.

Overall, I would certainly come back to Le Palme! I would only recommend to bring smaller luggages when going there, as it is quite a pain to pull and carry large luggages while climbing up or down the hotel, even with the help of the lift.

~ Maria & Peter ( August 26-August 28 2011)

Room Tip: View, Swimming Pool, free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
hove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

This is a small family run hotel. I think there are about 8 rooms in the place. The hotel was full while we were there but we hardly saw any other guests, so it was like having the place to ourselves. The rooms were clean and lovely and the service was really good.
There is a new pool and the view from it would rival any high-class resort! This really is a cosy and lovely hotel.
The one point I would say is that the hotel is half way down the hillside and has to be accessed by going down quite a few steps. There is a new lift installed so you dont have to carry your luggage down, but if you are not very active then you may struggle a bit. The walk down to Amalfi is very pleasant and will take 15-20 minutes.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

At first, when we arrived we weren't sure due to the location and accessibility of the hotel. When we got to our room all that disappeared. We were welcomed fantastically and the feel and warmth from the staff was what we expected and more. The family feel to the hotel is great and the new swimming pool had views you would expect in 5 star accommodation. It is a solitary retreat, calm and inspirational.

The only thing negative I could say is that you have to like steps to reach Amalfi...but with the help of the staff you will be fine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

This B&B is amazing. I originally planned to just take a day trip from Rome to Amalfi to take the Amalfi Coast powerboat tour, but I was advised to stay the night prior so I can make it to the tour early morning. Le Palme was suggested to me by the tour organizer as a reasonably priced, family-owned B&B. I therefore emailed Le Palme to get a quote, and got an immediate reply. Based on the quote, I was expecting a room with no windows, with just a bed, which was exactly what I was looking for, as I did not plan to stay long.

When I entered the B&B, I was pleasantly surprised. It was nestled in the hills of Pogerola, facing the Amalfi coast, with dramatic views of the ocean. Every room I was told had a view of the ocean, including mine. Antonietta, the receptionist was very friendly. I loved my room which was spacious, had a large bed, TV, A/C, safe, closet, bathroom (small). It had glass doors so you can see the ocean in the distance, with separate wood panels that can be closed if total privacy is desired. It was a bit late when I arrived, and I asked where I could have dinner. Antonietta recommended the restaurant uphill which the owner also ran. The owner himself and his little tyke, came to get me in his Vespa and 3 of us rode back (10-min romantic walk or short bus ride uphill) to his restaurant where his wife herself prepares the food. The place had open dining, and had a very nice twilight view of the small houses dotting the surrounding hills. Reminded me of those little Italian hamlet towns they feature on travel magazines, only known to seasoned travellers. Food was decent, housewine superb!

The only draw back to this place is that it is a good 15min bus ride from downtown Amalfi. However, it is located along the trail running from the top of the mountain to downtown, and I was told it was only a 30min leisurely trek downhill to get downtown from the B&B. Personally I would have loved to do it if I had time, as the view would be breathtaking. It is also about an 8min walk downstairs from the highway above, though someone can meet you at the bus stop to help with your luggage. (You might wanna factor this in if you're planning to catch a bus at a specific time schedule to go downtown).

All in all, this is definitely not the Ritz, but a great value for the price! I ended up staying for 2 nights and 3 days, and enjoyed every minute of it! Pogerola has a very enchanting view of the coast, and this little B&B was perfectly positioned for one to appreciate the grandeur of the Mediterranean, especially at night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business