“Two fantastic lunches”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Two fantastic lunches”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I chose to visit this restaurant based on it getting such good reviews on here and the reviews are right, it's fantastic! Tucked away off the main street I probably wouldn't have noticed it so very glad I found out about it beforehand. The service was very friendly and the guy who runs it speaks great English. I was not given a menu (this seems to be the norm in many Italian restaurants), just discussed a few options with the waiter. This was the best thing to do as I may not have dared picked something I'd never heard of off the menu. Whilst I waited for my meal some nibbles were brought out to keep me going, freshly cooked seaweed dumplings, incredible. The food was beautiful and just to top it all off the waiter brought me a complimentary glass of strawberry liquer afterwards!
I returned a few days later it was so good and spent a few hours having lunch and chatting to the waiter to avoid the rain!
Definitely worth a visit!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Katie L

Ballina, Australia
“Memorable”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We had selected this restaurant as we walked past earlier in the afternoon. Subsequent checks revealed great reviews so we enjoyed pre-dinner drinks at the bar two doors down. Initially alarmed to see many people gathering around before 8pm, we were relieved when most rushed into the neighbouring pizzeria as it opened.

Our welcome at Il Pacchero was warm and we could choose our table. The semi-set menu was explained to us in detail as was the potential wait of 30 minutes should we choose the pasta for our primi.

The antipasto plate was varied and substantial. The vegetables in tempura batter were exceptional and beautifully presented. Our fish primi were simple, perfectly cooked and delicious. The quality of all produce was first-class. Unfortunately, we could not eat anything further.

The family than run this restaurant live out of Salerno toward Naples, but the time they spend travelling has no adverse effect. Service is friendly, engaging and very professional. When we returned to the adjacent bar for coffee the following morning, a member of staff, who was cleaning outside, recognised us and gave us a wave and a big smile.

This was a memorable meal and represented great value for money. Highly recommended!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BBS99
Salerno, Italy
“Excellent family-run restaurant”
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

Family-run restaurant. Excellent combination of traditional cuisine and innovation. Excellent antipasti, often hand-made, a good choice of primi and second. Always fresh products.

2 Thank trotula
Ottawa
“A Friendly Family-run Business”
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We arrived at Il Pacchero after a day of touring Salerno, and chose it based on other trip advisor reviews which are 100 percent accurate. This restaurant is warm and hospitable and moderately priced.
The food was fresher than fresh - I loved the julienned tempura vegetables in the antipasto, the smokey, grilled eggplant and mussels were delicious too. There was almost too much to eat! The pasta with mozzarella stuffing was extremely tasty, as was my lightly grilled entrecôte served with a salad of arugula, tomato and shaved parmesan.

Salvatore does speak excellent English, and was quite comfortable sharing stories with us and other guests.

I'd definitely return to Il Pachhero - unfortunately they are closed Sunday evenings and Mondays

• Visited September 2012
Rome, Italy
“Worth seeking out”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My wife chose this restaurant based on the tripadvisor reviews. We are expats living in Rome and get quality Italian food every day. We went to Il Pacchero on a Saturday night without reservations after a long, hot August day of city hopping along the Amalfi coast. Translation: We were filthy and in my opinion, not the freshest smelling of clientele. By arriving at 8pm or 8:30pm, we were the first people to patron Salvatore's restaurant. Single bathrooms are small with a tiny space for 1 to wash their hands between the bathrooms. That is separated by a two piece saloon-style door. Not the easiest to get in with such a tight space. Glad I didn't have the seats right next to that bathroom.

By being first, Salvatore, one of the owners from what I gathered, gave us our choice of seats which we preferred to be outside. He was a fantastic server. His knowledge of the English language was superb, a good storyteller and we went on to explain the different menu. The sampler of their daily appetizers was actually four or five different plates in relatively small portions but were honestly excellent amounts for the money. Delicious, gourmet takes on perfectly cooked fishes, vegetables, etc. They told us we were in for a great meal. The pasta course of the day was a red fish on pasta in broth. So happy with that. The last course we chose was his recommendation - their take on a lightly grilled tuna tartare. This, unfortunately, was a little too grilled and not enough "tartared" for what we were expecting or wanted. But we ate it happily and in the end, it was quite good for what it was. Then we were ready to squeeze in dessert before we had to catch a bus to our hotel in a nearby city. By this time, the restaurant was PACKED. All tables filled and it looked like Salvatore served everyone and they had one extra runner. In the back, it looked like two chefs, maybe a third. The volume of people was just too many and we ended up waiting too long. We didn't have time to order dessert because our bus was to arrive shortly after. Lost extra sale for them, unfortunately.

With the wait, I am forced to give them a 4 star rating. We live in Italy and are used to long waits to see someone in order to order dessert or get the check. This place was just too busy.

I still recommend it though. Food is fantastic, service mostly great, cost not very expensive when you consider all the courses. Salvatore, whether he did it purposely or not, did not charge us for the bottle of wine and we didn't have time to ask him if he meant to do it or not. Thanks Salvatore for the mostly excellent experience!

• Visited August 2012