“Why the bad reviews??” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
“Why the bad reviews??”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

I really dont understand why this hotel has recieved such bad reviews. The hotel is immaculate and situated right on the shore front.

Ok, Salerno itself isnt exactly the cleanest of places, but the hotel is great. Our room was clean, spacious and we had a large balcony. We were located on the 3rd floor and had excellent views.

The staff at the desk were helpful in telling us how to get from A-B.

If I was staying in Salerno again. I would definitely stay at the Grand Hotel Salerno again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The room number 176 was fairly big.Clean beds, the bathroom is dated- the bathroom door was rotted, Considering I had no advanced booking, I was lucky to get this double room for the price of a single (60 Euros p.n). Breakfast was excellent. There is a private beach (Lido) across the hotel. The front desk staff did their job. Not very helpful with events, ferry connections, where to go for dinner. They tell you to look at the brochures. Might have been diffrent if I spoke Italian.
I used the hotel as a base for my trips for Amalfi Coast. Nothing much to see in Salerno. Next time
I will choose Sorrento as my base. The Amalfi Coast is great, especially Positano, Ravello and Sorrento

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
new jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

stayed at this hotel while on a tour. Staff tolerate you at best. Not very helpful. Room was big but thats about it. Very basic almost like a hospital room. This hotel included dinner which was good for the 1st two nights. After that it was average at best. View of the sea from room helped. Would not stay here again. It's within walking distance to shops and stores

Room Tip: some rooms are much better than others. I stayed in room 221. avoid it if possible
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We had arrived a day early for our pre paid visit to this hotel. The desk clerk was extremely rude (female - did not catch her name). The room was hot and humid. They refuse to put the air below 25 degrees C, even though you are able to change it on the controls, they control it form the desk in the lobby. I requested it to be lowered, and they said they would lower it. Three hours later we were still roasting in the room. I called them back and said that I requested they turn the air down. He gave me the speech (famous in Italian hotels) that there was a mistake and that it would cool off soon. Of course it did not. I called again and only said, "yes Hello, I just called" and was hung up on by the rude man (this time). I called back and they picked up and hung up. Then I called one more time and they picked up and said, I have no more rooms if you just wait until tomorrow (another famous speech in Europe). To which I replied, "If it is not resolved tonight I will be checking out". He put me on hold, and then came back and said he would put me in another room, which was an upgrade. We moved (it was midnight by now) and it was even hotter than the first room, albeit larger and nicer, but a sauna - hot and humid. It was actually cooler outside than in the room. I called them again to which he responded that we just have to wait for it to cool down. I waited 30 minutes for it to cool down. My house cools off faster. Naturally they are liars. The people in this hotel like to mess with you, are extremely rude and do not like Americans. Food is fair, service rude, and never enough set tables for the guests, who have to wait in a line ouitside the dining room, even though the room has enough tables, ,they do not set them up for service. One more thing - the wifi is 5 euros per hour. If you are looking free wifi and great air conditioning as well as great customer service, this is not the hotel for you. Albergio Fiorenza (I think this is how you spell it) is where we went to following this expesive sham, and had a great vacation. Excellent customer service, great air conditioning that YOU control, and free wifi.

Room Tip: seaside view any floor between x3a(odd number) - x6(odd umber) (i..e., 357, 457)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa K

Travellers are raving about these Salerno hotels

Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Convenient lcation for either visiting the town or taking advantage of the ferries to visit the Amalfi coast as located close to the smaller harbour of Salerno from where those depart. If the parking is unavailable, you can use the public one just next door, take the one that is not an open air one and youwill find it pretty unexpensive. I have stayed here several times and the fare was this time quite good. It is a bit beaten down and the breakfast has a coffee that is underwhelming but if you look for conevenience , it is a good choice

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Darwin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

The rude desk clerk spoilt everything!
CHECK-IN: We arrived at this hotel in the afternoon, wanting to leave our bags then go for lunch before checking in. I walked in [leaving my husband in the car with the kids & luggage] and in my fluent Italian let the desk clerk know that I had a booking. Before I could even ask where we could leave our bags so that we could go and have lunch, the desk clerk, as loud and as rudely as she could said "but lady, check in is not until 2pm!" Mind you, it was 1:15pm ... I let her know that I was well aware of the check-in time & that I was only going to ask where we could leave our bags. She pointed in to the distance [she actually pointed to the elevator] then turned her back. I asked - where do we park our car? She turned around, huffed and pointed out the glass side window and again turned her back. I had to walk out before I myself yelled back at her. We parked the car, grabbed the kids & the luggage and walked back to drop our bags off. As we walked in, the same desk clerk was actually yelling and fighting with another customer!! Yelling at them that check-in was not until 2pm. The poor man, looked at his watch and said ..."it's 1:25, you mean to tell me you can't let me in 30 minutes earlier?" Well, needless to say, the yelling continued [only from the part of the female desk clerk] until a male desk clerk intervened and gave the CUSTOMER! his room key. The rude female desk clerk kept rolling her eyes and saying how tiring her job was.
ARRIVAL [eventual]: We came back after lunch to officially check in. It was 2:45pm. Unfortunately, the rude female desk clerk was again at the front counter. As she began to check us in, a male clerk came up and took over. Thank Goodness! He said he would check us in, while he asked the rude one to get us a room key [what a shame!]. You could see that he was trying to make up for the rude clerk and was trying to make as much small talk as he could.
FREE TIP FOR THE RUDE DESK CLERK: Leave! You are Grand Hotel Salerno's front face. Having you there makes the hotel's rating drop dramatically. There are millions of people in Italy who are desperate for a job and who would be much more qualified than you would be. If your job is so hard, leave and give someone who is eager, enthusiastic and professional the position instead. The hotel would benefit greatly with you gone!
LOCATION: Great. Across the road from the beach. Only a few hundred metres from the ferry that takes you to Amalfi, Positanto - all the coastal towns. Only approx 50 metres from a great gelato bar and from a few eating houses.
ROOM: Whilst the room wasn't even ready when we got up there, the eventual room we got was sufficient. Roomy enough for a small family.Not sure if it is 4 star standard, but pleasant.
Bar Fridge was not cold at all. View towards sea was very nice.
BREAKFAST: Wide and very good variety of foods. Plenty of beverage choice as well. The Restaurant Supervisor was so lovely. She made sure that all her guests were well looked after. What a pleasant change from check-in. Unfortunately most staff did not have name tags, so I couldn't get her name, or I would have personally mentioned her - she was that great!
DINNER: The two young men that looked after the restaurant at night were also great. We made sure that we let them know how appreciative we were of their professionalism - and both of them responded ... "but this is our job - it is the least we can do". Again, great, great service from these two young men! Thank You!
CHECK-OUT: Very quick & painless.
NOTE: At time of stay, this hotel did not take American Express Cards.
OVERALL: Unfortunately, the unprofessional desk clerk at check-in did ruin our palate a little with this hotel. The rest of the staff we encountered were very nice & this is what brought the rating up. However, I would not stay here again and would seek alternative accommodation if I was to go to Salerno once more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out to sea.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sim0011
Nocera Superiore, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Ive stayed here my first time in Salerno. It is a good hotel for a business trip. But for me it felt like staying in a hospital. It is to clean and cold. The average rating is because this hotel lacks personality, it could also have been situated in new york or amsterdam. Apart from the seaside view if you have a room at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room, otherwise you see the back of an ugly building.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business