“Take a short drive further up the Amalfi coast as this place is a disappointment!”
Review of Mediterranea Hotel

Mediterranea Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
London
Reviewed 29 September 2012

As you pull into this resort it looks like a good 4 star should, however, do not be fooled!

The pool is only open at certain times, the beach is not walkable and there is very little nearby.

The staff show potential to be helpful, but generally are more concerned about their appearance than providing a good service.

Our room was not cleaned properly, linin needed changing and the bathroom dirt was vile - this is not what should be expected from this calibre of hotel.

Please note - The wifi only works on the ground floor so trying to use this to book an alternative won't work

I do wonder how they conduct 'conferences and conventions' as the name would imply! You might also want to ask them where the rooms with a view were as there is nothing to see!

If you are here for a stop over (I.e one night)- then this place is tolarable.

I hate to be so nagative on a hotel, however, the free parking and king size bed were the only positives!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank CuratingNate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night, arranged by my course organizer. Decent place for a night's sleep. Basic amenities in the room. Across the hotel are bars and 'sports' clubs where guests can swim or have access to the beach - for a fee. It seems like seaside activities are popular with the locals.

Staff and hotel manager at reception were nice. They even helped me view the seaside without paying. Manager also gave me a free bottle of water. Hooray!

The waiter at breakfast was upset that we wanted to eat at a different table to what was organized for our group. It was easily remedied, just a typical Italian moody response I guess!

Volcanic black sandy beach, narrow, high energy waves.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed at the hotel only one night but it was sufficient to get the impression that it is not 4 star service.The rooms are standard.I was fortunate to get a big room with a Jacuzi but this was my bed luck maybe beacouse the Jacuzi filters did not had cover .once in the filters who became wholes vacum my hand and leg it took me quite time to understand what is happening and very difficult moments and efforts to save my hand and leg from the very poverful vacum.of corse inutile to say the terrible pain that I had with big blues for 3 weeks.
It was my birtday so I didnt want to be on bed mood and I just wanted to let it know the reception about it but It was no way to explain it en English no one understood the problem explain by my self,my husband and friends...

Stayed May 2012
Melbourne
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Medditeranea Resort and Conference Centre

For what it is, and where it is, the Medditeranea (resort &) Conference Centre is not bad.

Service was pretty good, especially the friendly breakfast service, and the hotel does provide free Wi-Fi in public areas. The open-air terrace is a nice place to hang out for a bit, although don't expect views or the ambiance that you find on the Amalfi Coast and other coastal areas if you have just come from there.

The hotel itself is fairly basic. The public areas are quite nice, but the pool and the beach that is mentioned is the public pool and beach located across the road from the hotel at a cost of €10 per day. We didn't end up taking part in that activity, so I can't share our experience.

Salerno is a port city. It is a working-class town that is not aimed at tourists at all, which can be a nice change for some. As a result, Salerno is much cheaper than the coastal towns, so it can provide a bit of a break for the old wallet. There are plenty of affordable Pizzerias about, and of the ones we experienced, we certainly weren't disappointed, more so because generally we only spent about €10 on food and drink each.

Ultimately, I can't imagine myself ever going back to Salerno, it's simply not that interesting a place, but it served our purposes for a couple of days and didn't break the bank in the process.

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, there were no rooms with particularly great views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MissH_melbourne
Loreto
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I really wonder how this place got a 4 star rating!! For some aspects, is not even a 3 star!

My room was very old, with filthy walls that definitely needed to be repainted.
My bed, despite being quite hard and comfortable, had just sheets and no bed covers (I've never seen that in a 4 star-hotel before!!).
There was no pen nor pad in the room (how can they sell themselves as a business hotel is quite a mistery!!) and the worse part of all was the bathroom: a tiny place with a shower that had no screen but a very sad and old shower curtain - definitely not acceptable in a 4 star place!.
On my first day I killed a mosquito on the bathroom wall (at eye level) and it stayed there uncleaned till my check out day! Can't say they cleaned properly! The bathroom is equipped with a sort of hair drier which is just a very loud "machine" with a tube that does not work.

The Air Conditioning system is totally useless as it is placed right above the bed therefore, if you don't want to get a cold, you can't activate it while you sleep - whoever designed was a true genius... NOT!

Breakfast was decent despite not being special (croissants, pain au chocolate, fruits, juices, some cold cuts, jams and cereals).
The restaurant staff was quite kind and friendly, unlike reception staff who always seemed too busy to care for customer requests! In particular a lady with curly hair and glasses (I think her name was Anna) talked while not even looking directly at you...quite rude!!!

I would not recommend this hotel AT ALL nor I would ever return!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MartiGianlu

Travellers are raving about these Salerno hotels

Whitestone, New York
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This hotel is at the end of "lungomare" which is not exactly in the "heart of" the city but with a 5 minute ride either by car (which we had) or by bus you are in the heart of the city and can travel to Amalfi, Capri, Positano with a boat ride away which you can pick up at the Pier..very easy! Once in the center, there are many restaurants and shopping. The hotel is clean, friendly service and breakfast is included with a good selection! The rooms are clean and although it is a hotel/convention center it doesn't give you that "big oversized" feeling. Nice small balcony overlooking the water.There is a nice pizza restaurant about a 10 minute walk from the hotel called La Salernitana which was is worth it..pizza was very good, owner very friendly. Across the street of this hotel there are beach hotels which overlook the lungomare so at night they have music for entertainment but not a big deal for us and it doesn't last long into the night. We enjoyed our stay, it is a hotel with a purpose since it met all our needs to be close to the center of Salerno for all our "day excursions" and "tranquil" at night after returning from our wonderful meals and walks along lungomare!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank pizzsa
new york
Reviewed 20 August 2009

Stayed here with a NIAF group. The food was great, the service attentive and the rooms clean with tile floors. There was a little coffee bar down the bock for night time espresso and dolce. The only issue is you are not in Salerno proper and need to take the bus to see the city or take the train or costal boats.

• Stayed June 2006