“Not a hostel”

Ulisse Deluxe Hostel
Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for a week whilst attending a wedding in Sorrento. This "hostel" was very spacious - we had a double and single bed, a triple wardrobe, desk, big mirror and still plenty floor space. Big spacious bathroom - however the shower needed a good clean and part of the rubber tubing was exposed - didn't look great. The mini fridge in our room kept not cooling stuff - wasn't great. The hotel itself was clean and located 10mins walk from the main square - bit further to a supermarket. Breakfast was ok, typical continental breakfast. Staff were very friendly and couldn't have helped more. Always smiling and happy to help. Air con in the room wasn't very cold, more like a fan than proper air con unit. Whilst staying here we visited friends and family who were staying in three other hotels and this was by far the nicest and more spacious. Only down side was no pool but we knew this when booking so can't complain.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kittyka19
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hostel is definitely a hotel and the location is extremely convenient. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was also spacious and the shower had good water pressure. The bed was comfortable. Nice to see a gym available for guests but unfortunately, I didn't make use it. Overall, the staff were pleasant, helpful and informative. However, I did experience one staff member at reception who appeared to be frustrated with some of my general tourist questions. The restaurant staff during breakfast were lovely and friendly. A good variety of food options available at breakfast and it was all very tasty. Would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Emily T
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We just returned from a two week stay at the Ullise Hostel (it's a very good quality 3+ hotel, not a hostel). Loveley reception area and wondferfully friendly and informative recepetion staff, especially Jenifer Lopez and Pascquale. The hotel is immaculate and kept spotlessly clean.

We had a very large bedroom (could have slept 5), with a 6ft bed, a single and double sofa bed. The bed was the most comfortable I had experienced for a hotel. The bathroom was equally large with a jacuzzi bath, shower, bidet etc. Electric shutters in the bedroom, great air conditioning, made it nice and quiet. Even with windows open it was fairly quiet with ,inimal road noise.

There was a very small air conditioned gym three doors down from our room, treadmill, cross trainer, vibro plate and free weights. Wish I'd used it more!!

The breakfasts were very good, nice cold selection, cakes (made each morning by Maria), fresh fruit with the option of a better quality coffee from the bar, however, the machine coffee was fine.

Special mention to Maria (main star), Anoinette and Threresa, the best staff you could find, hard working, warm, friendly and informative, the hotel should be proud of them, an assett to the hotel.

The only small downside was no small garden area or pool, however, othar than that, it was amazing and exceptional quality. We missed this due to accessing the beach and coastline wasnt easy in places and the private beaches are expensive.

Room Tip: We has 110 and were very happy with it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatsyBo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Ulisse is a wonderful place to stay! It's somewhat off the beaten track, which I love! Yet close enough to walk everywhere. It takes me about 10-15 min's to walk to from the train station- flat road, down some stairs & down the street, voila! You are there, somewhat away from the tourists :) The staff are awesome, the breakfast is fantastic, the boat excursions they arrange for you are unbeatable and the room is spacious and tended to daily- I was on the 2nd floor and it was also quiet. I love that when you go to the breakfast room, they have a great selection of foods to choose from ie: eggs, toast, cereals, fruits, breads, sweets and there is a variety of juices to choose from. My FAV was the big bowl of sweet cherry/grape tomatoes! And I would order an espresso & coffee from the lovely staff behind the coffee bar. I don't know why you would go elsewhere, Ulisse is affordable and awesome- I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank wildflowers94
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The location of this hostel is perfect. It's a 5 min walk to the city centre and shopping/restaurant area and a 15min walk to the train station. We stayed here for 2 nights and even wanted to change our destination and stay a few more nights but the hostel was already fully booked. The rooms are clean and very spacious. This hostel does not have the standards of a hostel but is much better than a typical hostel. The front desk employers were very polite and helpful. I would highly recommend this hostel. We had a great stay and would love to go back someday.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLeijdekkers
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My fiancée and I stayed at the Ulisse Deluxe in July of 2013. We were starting our month long whirlwind European tour in Sorrento, and because we are not rich, needed to find ways of traveling comfortably while keeping to a modest budget.

After reading the reviews for this place, my fiancée booked us a few months in advance. Understand that I was 35 at the time, my fiancée was turning 26 during our vacation. I'm not exactly a backpacker! I did that when I was 21, and while this trip would be a lot of train travel, I needed so sort of comfort level that was befitting my age.

The Ulisse did not disappoint.

The room was clean and had one of the nicest (private!) bathrooms we had on our trip! Our room was huge (I believe it was meant for three people), and the hotel was very quiet while we were there. While this is advertised as a hostel, we really found it to be much more hotel-like, even in comparison to some actual hotels we stayed at later on in our travels.

The staff were friendly and spoke enough English to communicate efficiently. My fiancée and I are bilingual (English and French) and she also speaks so Spanish, so we were hoping between all of those languages we could get by in Italy. We found out very quickly (ie. the Naples airport) that Italians for the most part are uniligual in this part of Italy. So the ease with which the staff could communicate with us made the beginning of our trip amazing.

The only issue we had was finding the Ulisse in the first place! Roads and numbering of addresses are haphazard in Italy. To get to the Ulisse main entrance you need to go a little farther down the hill than you think. You will see a sign for the Ulisse Spa/Health Club higher up on the road. Just keep walking down the hill and you will find the entrance to the lobby on you left.

Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are stunning to visit. Everyone should enjoy a trip there in their lifetimes. The Ulisse front desk offer help booking day trips for you, and they really helped us out! They found space on the amazing Positano day trip for us (even though it was sold out already) where you get a chance to swim in the sea off the side of the boat that transports you to Positano for the afternoon. Spectacular! They also booked out day trip to Capri. All in all, great service!

The morning buffet is very good. Fairly simple, but gets you ready for the day ahead. I recommend eating lightly at breakfast, since you'll probably be indulging in Italian cuisine the rest of the day anyway!

If you are the type of traveller that doesn't require pampering in your hotel stay, this is a great place to stay. We found it to be the perfect way to start our vacation. We were sad to leave the Amalfi Coast, but the fond memories of our stay, enhanced by the affordability, cleanliness and helpfulness of the staff at Ulisse stay with us to this day!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason H
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This Hotel worked very well for us! Very Clean! Staff Very Helpful! When our A/C wasn't cooling like we thought it should, the front desk person came up at 10pm to reset the system. Worked terrifically after that. Really enjoyed the Spa area & made that apart of our total package. Comfortable rooms and large bathrooms. Poor Wi-Fi, no views. Would definitely recommend this hotel for other travelers.

Stayed: August 2014