“Dad's 80th birthday celebration”
Review of Vela Bianca

Vela Bianca
Reserve with
Vela Bianca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #86 of 290 Restaurants in Sorrento
Price range: US$35 - US$71
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

What wonderful people, they made my dad ( and the rest of us) feel really special. Food was first class and service outstanding. They even sent a car to pick us up from our hotels and delivered us back safely (Special thanks to Tony). Maitre d' Michael was fabulous as was the Polish fish waiter (Sorry don't knwo your name but Jinki!!). Not cheap but very good value for money; certainly not overly expensive either.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is the first time in writing a review but I felt the need to share our fabulous evening spent at La Vela Bianca. Our hotel arranged this after us asking for a reasonable priced restaurant where locals would eat. We were collected by car and driver who made us feel special from the start. Then greeted by a number of staff who guided us to our table by the window. It was our fathers 80th birthday, he was made to feel so so special the whole time. We were shown the fresh fish and informed of the specials and also given the menu. What a choice! There was a variety on the menu which would suit all finances. As it was a special birthday our father chose one of the fresh fish which he had never tasted before. I opted for one of the specials which was, in my opinion a fantastic choice. It was delicious. Our maître D really knew what he was talking about.Wine choice was left to the maître D, with a suggestion that it was not too expensive. The wine chosen was a local wine which was very palatable, so much so that we ordered another bottle. At the end of our meal. The lights were dimmed and Happy birthday was played along with the staff surrounding the table to sing to our father. He was presented with a cake with a candle in to blow out. (The option to have a slice of the cake was left up to us but the occasion was celebrated). It was a very heart felt moment for us all. We can not thank all of the staff enough for making this one of the best birthdays our father has ever had. Thank you once again. We would highly recommend this restaurant. X

1  Thank Yeoshorty
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Recommended to my father and I by our hotel after an amazing meal the night before on our own, we decided to take the cab and try it. As soon as we got in the cab which had 9€ when we got in and had a Vela Bianca logo on the side I had a bad vibe.
When we got out of the cab which ended up costing €25 (I later learned that a restaurant around the corner offers free car service) the manager and owner were waiting outside.
The meal was average for the meals we ate in Sorrento, but the prices were ridiculous, the service was very pushy, and it's billed as having a view of the water and it does not at all: it's a view of the street. The decor is that of a mom and pop lobster chowder place in Maine.
From working at a restaurant in Florida where they paid off the hotels in the area to recommend them, I can tell you without a doubt that this is what is going on here. No way any local would genuinely recommend this place without being paid.
Avoid!

3  Thank Whyisjadakiss1
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The food was good, but this place is completely let down by its staff!
At the end of the evening, when the bill arrived, we were expressly told that the limoncello was a gift (this is by no way unique as it is customary in every restaurant in Sorrento) and that service charge was not included. However, we were so very appalled that we did not leave a tip. And we did not owe them: there was a cover charge per person and dinner for two adults and a one year old was €120 with only one beer. Besides, tips has to be earned, bad service equals no tip. Anyhow, the two main waiters' parting words were "thanks!" and "good night" with the utmost contempt. I guess it's self-fulfilling, I was only more convinced that we did the right thing by not tipping.
This restaurant was recommended by our hotel. We wanted seafood, and knew it offers a pick-up/drop-off service which we did not require. We turned up after a long day having climbed Vesuvius and explored Ercolano. We just wanted to have a good meal as it was also our last night in Italy.
The main waiter greeted us outside the restaurant, offered us a window table near the door, which normally would be great but because we had our little one with us, we wanted a bigger table and one that was not so in the way. We asked if we could have another table in the corner of the room which had just become vacant. There was a high chair at the table already, so we thought it would be perfect. They disagreed, and from that moment on, they decidedly gave us a bad service. For example, they did not taking our order until they have taken the orders of 2 other tables, both of which arrived some time after us. They tried to take my cutlery away, I told them I would keep them because I was using them to cut my daughter's food into smaller pieces, shortly after that he came back and tried to take them again. The same waiter also tried to take my partner's plate away before he had finished. They did not give us any plates for empty shells but did so for the table right next to us. All pretty small things that amounted to a rather unpleasant experience.
I could tell that other diners received a more attentive service and throughout the evening they were courteous but served us with an arrogance I have not experienced anywhere else!
The food was excellent though, fresh seafood, cooked well. I am very picky with my seafood so more the compliments to the chef!
Honestly, I would go back to eat there, but until they have a new team of staff, I am staying well away. It really was a shame for us. We told ourselves we won't let them spoil our otherwise wonderful day so venting here helps!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We dined at La Vela Bianca on our first night in Sorrento, at the recommendation of our hotel. There was no offer of a free shuttle so we took a taxi. The hotel sits at the top of a hill along the coast, but does not have a sea view. We received a warm welcome from a gentleman who appeared to be either the owner or manager.

We ordered wine (which was very good) and made our dinner selections based on the menu. Prices were typical for the region, with many varieties of fish available. Although there were only two other tables of people at the restaurant it took close to 30 minutes before a waiter came to take our order. In the middle of giving our orders, the Manager interrupted the waiter and presented the fish of the day on a large rolling cart. He was extremely enthusiastic about the fish and in my opinion, employed high pressure tactics to convince us to order this fresh fish rather than from the menu. All four of us took his recommendation and ordered from the cart.

The antipasto course was also very good but again, it took an extraordinarily long time time before the main course arrived. We had been in Italy for over a week and were used to leisurely dining, but this was bordering on neglect. I noticed that while we were waiting the Manager was having extended conversations with the people at the two other tables, but he did not do the same with us. Perhaps it was the language barrier. When the fish was ready the Manager appeared at our table again, took the food from the waiter and insisted on serving us himself. I ordered sea bass which was good, but not great.

We did not see a waiter again for almost an hour. I could see two waiters at the front of the restaurant but was unable to catch their eye. It was as if they could not make a move without the approval of the Manager, who continued to converse with the one remaining group in the restaurant. At last the Manager finished his conversation, looked over at the waiters and one of them came to ask if we would like dessert. We were about to decline when again, the Manager rolled up with a dessert cart and extolled the virtues of each dessert. The waiter served it from the cart but the Manager took the plate from him and literally slapped a double portions of dessert onto our plates. He again served us personally but rather sloppily.

We followed the American tradition of coffee after the meal and were served graciously. By now we were the only customers in the restaurant, and when the waiter eventually brought the bill it was 300 euros for four people - not the 200 euros we were expecting. I realized then that we had not asked the price of the fish of the day. Shame on us for not asking up front. That's a lesson learned. But they also charged 12 euros apiece for cappuccino, which really is unacceptable.

The restaurant itself is attractive, with nice decor and well cooked food. But all four of us felt pressured to order what the Manager wanted to sell, manipulated into ordering more food than we wanted to eat, and overcharged for coffee. It spoiled an otherwise pleasant evening.