All reviews the main square french balcony piazza tasso fantastic location train station half board small beer short cut swimming pool central location key card three star air conditioning hotel grounds rooms are basic thomas cook a family run hotel
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The staff were helpful. The room we stayed in was clean but contained several ants!! We were actually given 2 rooms! Breakfast buffet is average, not a big variety, coffee machine provided poor quality coffee, no service at the table (you hardly see any staff members). Overall, it is an average hotel, with very small pool. Location was great though, quiet and close to the Tasso Piazza and the pedestrian old town.

Room Tip: If you want to book a room, ask for one in the main building as it is refurbished, the annex bldg. is old and no lift
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We have just got back from a week staying at this lovely hotel which complemented perfectly the beauty of the Sorrento area. We paid a little extra for a "superior" room as we wanted a sea view and it was well worth it as the view over the bay of Naples to Vesuvius is stunning.

The staff were all very friendly and welcome we received on arrival was very warm, indeed we arrived mid morning expecting to have to leave our bags and wait for the room to be ready later in the day only to find that our room was ready and we could move straight in (a real bonus as we had been up since 3am travelling!). The room was modern and clean and included for free things other hotels often charge for such as a room safe, use of the air-conditioning and a fridge. The fridge was a definite plus as we always had a cold drink when we got back to the room.

As the website suggests, the gardens are really lovely, we sat out under the trees at some point on most days and took to having a coffee (or beer!) in the garden most evenings after returning from eating in one of Sorrento's restaurants. The bar staff were always welcoming and happy to serve you at any time day or night with a friendly word or smile even if they were also busy with other things.

A couple of useful tips - there is a restaurant in the garden which (it would appear from the menus) is connected to the hotel. Don't be put off by the apparently minimal menu displayed outside, it has a much bigger and nicer one inside. Also, if you want tourist advice talk to the manager (Luigii) in reception, he has an excellent knowledge of the area and the best way to do things and keeps an extensive set of maps and leaflets he is happy to give you.

Negatives? Well there are always some at any hotel, nothing major however in this case. We were a bit disappointed with the size of the balcony, it was very small, only just wide enough for a dining room size chair (if you want a big balcony book a room on the first floor) so you could not really sit out on it. Some days they seemed to stop putting out fresh breakfast food (such as ham and cheese) after around 9.30 so if you take a late breakfast (it finishes at 10am) you may have a restricted choice and finally the lift seems quite elderly and drops slightly when you get in (which un-nerved my partner somewhat) and makes a lot of creaking and pinging noises!

One final thing - elsewhere on this site you will see complaints about and unexpected "service charge of 1 euro a day" (Anne P). Just to correct this - the 1 euro a day is a tourist tax imposed on everyone staying in Sorrentoby the local authority, not a service charge added by the hotel. Certainly this was made clear to us both when we confirmed the booking and in notices in the hotel (although in fairness to Anne P, the notices did refer to the 2012 season!).

So to sum up - we had a wonderful stay and would certainly go back if we stay in Sorrento again.

Room Tip: Ask for a "superior" room. It is extra but worth it.
1  Thank Roadin62
Reviewed 10 September 2013

2013 has been a very decadent year in our household, more often than not our holiday periods are spent at home catching up on all the neglected jobs that need doing and me returning to work for a rest. However, this year my better half and I have not only had one foreign holiday, but two which is unheard of.

Our first holiday of 2013 was a week in Madera where we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in the Savoy Gardens Hotel (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g189167-d506834-Reviews-Hotel_Savoy_Gardens-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html), which I would highly recommend as you will see from my previous review on Trip Adviser at: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189167-d506834-r170130334-Hotel_Savoy_Gardens-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

One month later it was back to the airport to jet off, after a seventeen year absence to Sorrento, which my wife and I fell in love with on our first of now seven visits, from 1990. On our previous six visits, up until 1996, we always stayed at the Grand Vesuvio Hotel which is a magnificent hotel a little way out of Sorrento with fabulous views.

As the Vesuvio is no longer in the Thomsons holiday brochure and would have cost considerably more to stay there, we chose to stay at the three star Eden Hotel instead which was priced about the same as the four star Savoy Gardens where we had stayed in Madera a month earlier. Really, from our previous visits to Sorrento, we should have known that if you want a higher standard of hotel in the area you should not go less than four stars. This is where the comparisons come in.

We arrived in Sorrento at around 10.30 pm on Friday 30th August and felt as if we had been dumped by the Thomson rep when the transfer coach from Naples airport stopped in the bus station and the rep pointed in the direction of the Eden Hotel and said: “Your hotel is about fifty yards on the left down there”, then jumped ack on the bus and shot off to deliver the other passenger to their hotels - not a good start.

We found the hotel which was up a drive and tucked away and when we arrived the night receptionist, who was extremely polite and welcoming, was expecting us and signed us in and said he would bring us some food to the room as we had arrived late as, by now, it was about 11.40 pm.

We got in the lift which made some unsettling noises as it clanked and creaked its way to the fourth floor to our room. With a swipe of our electronic card we entered what could only be described as a very basic but clean room with a limited amount of ageing green furniture, apart from the wardrobe which had been green until someone had painted it white with bits of green showing through.

As we stood in the room and checked out the well fitted bathroom there was a knock on the door and we were presented with two large plates of salad by the friendly receptionist which were too much for us to eat as it was later than we normally eat as well as the fact we had made sure we had a good meal at the airport as we were not expecting such fair on our arrival - we also wanted to take a look at Sorrento again before retiring for the night to see what it was like after seventeen years. To our amazement. Lello, a waiter in the Ercalano Bar in Piazza Tasso, saw us and welcomed back as he remembered us after all those years.

The next morning we began to find our way around the hotel, which is in a quiet location and very conveniently placed to the town centre and Piazza Tasso as well as the bus and train station, which was far more convenient than the much better and costlier Grand Vesuvio Hotel which is a twenty minute walk downhill into the town, although it does have its own courtesy coach.

Breakfast was in the dining room which to get to you have to walk out of the front of the hotel then back in through the restaurant door. The self service breakfast was mostly a limited choice of Continental breakfast with provision to do your own toast and the only hot food was scrambled egg. In fact, eggs feature quite a bit in the limited evening meal menu too.

The hotel allocates the guest a table which they are expected to use for the whole of their stay for evening meals, although they don’t mind where you sit at breakfast. Each evening a menu for the following evening awaits on your table and you are expected to decide then what to have the to eat the following day.

Now when it comes to eating I am finicky, which with such a limited menu choice presents me with a problem. For my first evening meal the only edible option for me was fried eggs. Considering he fact we had paid much the same price for our stay in the hotel in Madera where we had stayed a month earlier, which had a good buffet where you could decide each evening what to eat from a greater range of food, as well as having a good choice of hot and cold food at breakfast time, the value for money between the two hotels was quite a comparison, added to which the Madera hotel was a considerably smarter hotel with bette rooms.

That week my wife had fish one evening which was frozen fish and not that good, which considering fresh fish is landed daily a very short distance away in Marina Grande gave the impression the hotel chef was not bothered. Out of the only foods I would eat from the poor choice that week was, as well as the fried eggs, was omelette twice, frozen turkey once, and chicken twice, including the last night when the chicken was covered in tinned tomatoes which I do not like and spent most of our last meal there scrapping off the chicken - we were not impressed with the food.

The Eden Hotel has a small swimming pool situated next to a restaurant at the front of the hotel. It has a small number of sun beds and sun chairs which were not particularly comfortable, but the hotel does not mind guest lying on the grass which is actually better. The only problem is that due to the trees in the garden, which are attractive, they do block out the afternoon sun. This for us was not a major problem as Sorrento is not a place for lazing around doing little - there are far too many paces to go and see such as Pompeii and Herculaneum, which are a train ride away, Capri which is easy to get to on one of the local ferries from Marina Piccola and then there are must do bus rides to Amalfi, Positano and Ravello, non of which leaves much idle time and the Hotel Eden is ideally located and close to the local transport system.

Despite the bedroom being basic with not very inspiring furniture, it had a modern flat screen and quite a good sized TV, sadly this is then let down by a choice of four TV channels only, these are one French, one German as well as the English speaking CNN and BBC World News.

The Thomsons bumph quaintly describes the hotel rooms as having ‘French balconies’, these in reality are little more than ledges on which two persons can just about stand - so forget having a table and chairs to sit out on your ledge. Added to this, when I tried to shut and luck the door to the ledge the door locking mechanism was broken and the door would not lock properly.

When we sat down and compared our previous Sorrento holidays in the Grand Vesuvio Hotel with its large swimming pool, plentiful sun beds of a greater comfort and wonderful views across the Bay of Naples from the large open bar area, as well as the similar price we paid for a much smarter hotel where we had stayed shortly before in Madera, it does make the Eden Hotel seem lacking.

The hotels good points are the its close proximity to the centre of Sorrento and facilities, its friendly and pleasant staff, it is clean and has air conditioning in the rooms, a fridge and a safe which the keys included included in the price, although you have to requested the safe key. The Eden also has nice gardens at the front and on the whole is not really a bad looking and quiet hotel. Its less than good points are is basic rooms and furniture with, in our case, a door to the tiny balcony which would not lock properly and the poor choice and standard of food, as far as we were concerned, was not good for an Italian hotel.

We love Sorrento and as the song goes we will return to Sorrento, but not to the Eden Hotel, we know now we will have to be prepared to pay more for the sort of hotel that compares well with others we have stayed in and compare the Eden to.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor have larger balcony areas with tables and chairs where you can sit outside.
4  Thank Derek B
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My partner and I (both 23) have literally come back from my trip to sorrento today and had the most amazing time!
we stayed in the Hotel Eden from the 3.09.13 until 10.03.12 and i have not one bad word to say about it!

The staff where absolutely lovely, really polite, helpful and charming! they could not do enough for you! Reception and bar staff very attentive and pleasant! cleaners polite and cleaned rooms every day. we were even upgraded for free to a deluxe balcony garden view room. it was fantastic!

the hotel itself was in a great location, just meters away from the piazzo tasso, the main square in sorrento. it was very clean and in a beautiful garden setting set back from the main road so pretty quiet of a night. There are lots of places to sit and relax in and around the garden and the pool area is pristine, with bar staff waiting on you whilst you lounge and relax! perfect.

the hotel room that we had (double deluxe garden view with balcony) was brilliant, lovely size, brand new bathroom suite with large shower and fresh towels every day. the room also benefited from a fridge which was excellent for keeping drinks cold such as bottled water which otherwise could have been quite expensive.

Breakfast was lovely, continental breakfast with quite a bit of choice, from fresh pastries, meats, cheeses, breads, fresh fruit, yogurts, scrambled eggs etc. also there was a large selection of tea's such as english breakfast, green tea, peppermint and fruit tea's as well as lovely coffees and hot chocolate.

For the price of this hotel it is fantastic value, great location and everything and more that you could need whilst visiting sorrento! there are grander hotels but these are 300-400 more than what you would pay for Hotel Eden!

I couldn't thank the staff enough for making our stay so special!

Great Hotel!

Room Tip: upon booking request upgrade if available, you may be lucky like we were!
1  Thank tabogganroberts
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed at the Eden Hotel from Friday, the 30th August until 6th September 2013. When I arrived at reception the welcome was very poor as though my arrival at 9pm was an inconvenience. I was given my card key,  room number and  told where the lift was in such an abrupt manner by the person on reception that it made me feel I had inconvenienced him. As I had booked half board I was made aware that I could get a snack meal in the restaurant on my arrival. When I went into the restaurant  and sat at a three seated table I was told by a waiter that I would not sit at that  table the following evening but a smaller table as I was on my own. On the Saturday evening I went into the restaurant and could see no waiter or notice of communication to wait to be seated. I therefore sat at a two seated table at the back of the restaurant. I had no sooner sat down and one of the two waiters appeared and in a restaurant full of holiday makers started to shout in an angry tone from half way down the restuarant that I could not sit at this table and I should be at another table. Initially, I didn't realise he was shouting at me. When I did I was appalled and embarrassed  as other customers started to stare over at me. When the waiter did reach my table I told him I was not moving and that I found his manner very rude. I then went to speak to the other waiter who I had met on the Friday evening. I explained if I was to wait to be seated they should communicate this and I had sat down as they where not present went I entered the restaurant but he was equally as rude and just grinned at me rather than try to resolve the problem in a professional manner. I left the restaurant very upset which totally ruined my evening and really my holiday. My room had two single beds put together, was dingy in size, no wardrobe, just a steel hanging rail and looked onto the back of  an equally dingy block of private flatlets with washing lines of clothing and bedding. The room towels including only the top white sheet of my bed got changed once during my week stay and the toilet and shower was only cleaned on the Thursday before I left. As a single traveller my holiday was expensive and I was then further charged on the day of check out a Service charge of 1 Euro a day. I need to add the main evening meals were not up to standard and tables were left uncleared long after people had finished and left the restaurant. I find it incredible that this hotel is considered even a 3*.Ms A. Perry

Room Tip: I Could not advise as did not know what the quality of the other rooms was like.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo