“"Hotel recommended for eating like locals"”

Ristorante Da Filippo
Ranked #55 of 290 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Went here with my wife and another couple after hotel recommendation and received the very prompt free shuttle up to the restaurant. Initially I was disappointed as I was planning to order a veal dish and discovered that no scaloppine was served only veal chops. The disappointment was short lived as I ordered a beef medallions thinly sliced and with marsala that was excellent. My wife had the Linguine con vongole and said it was outstanding. The other couple had very satisfying dinners as well. We came on a Saturday night and it is a good thing we arrived at this large restaurant fairly early as it became completely full by about 8pm with mostly locals and several tourists.

2  Thank Larry D

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

My wife says "overcooked boxed pasta, clams were
so small they should have been thrown out. Three of six mussels were closed!" My Venus clams with pasta was merely average. The marinated anchovy appetizer was good. Service was nonexistent.

I should have known that having an English menu at the hotel should have been a tip off.

2  Thank Jabrd
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This restaurant is a bit out of the way, but it provided free transport from our hotel, so it was very easy to get there and back. The place was filled with locals (a very good sign!) and had a laid back feel. We both had the pizza and it was really excellent, among the best pizza I've ever eaten. Not pricey either, very reasonable.

1  Thank evkol
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We took a chance on this place after a recommendation from our hotel. The restaurant sends a complimentary van to pick up guests/return them to the Hilton, which was really convenient for us. Prices are reasonable, the ambiance is sort of a family style open format, with flat screen TV's placed throughout so that patrons can watch soccer when Napoli was playing. Looked like a really nice outdoor patio area, but since we were there in late October/early November we chose to eat inside. There is an ice-filled boat at the entrance that is loaded with the fresh caught seafood of the day, to help you make a choice for dinner. Across from the boat, the restaurant has a large (supermarket style) meat case filled with dozens of varieties of meat to help you make a choice for dinner. We had three really great meals here over a 9 day visit in Sorrento, and we were the only vacationers there each time: the rest of the patrons were local residents who were out for a huge family style meal...make that a DELICIOUS meal. Service was great, wine list is extensive and includes many reasonably priced local reds and whites. Had fresh amberjack and linguine with clams one night and my wife and I shared a huge bistecca fiorentina that was artistically carved tableside for us. We both commented that we had never before eaten so much beef in one sitting, but it was just too good to leave. Desserts were overkill, but deliciously made onsite.

1  Thank ATLBob
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We found this restaurant upon the recommendation of our B&B. initially difficult to find (GPS 40.620520, 14.383080) we enjoyed two excellent family meals during our week-long stay in Sorrento. They have the fresh catch of the day in a little refrigerated boat display outside the door, and I would also check the daily specials. Service was friendly and the prices also reasonable; it has a private car park too.
Recommended!!