“Fastastic modern hotel with personalised service to match.”
Review of Palazzo Abagnale

Palazzo Abagnale
Ranked #32 of 143 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 July 2010

The staff stayed back very late until i arrived into Sorrento as my flight was delayed into Rome. They were extremely helpful throughout my 2 nights with recommendations and I was also upgraded to a very large and beautiful room.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 June 2010

We arrived three hours later than we intended but there was no problem with check-in. We were told that our room would be several blocks down the street in an apartment building (annex)...I was a tad disappointed but not surprised since I had read reviews that some of their rooms were down the street. It was almost 10 p.m. and we were a bit scared at first because we went into a dark courtyard and up steps to the 2nd floor but we were pleasantly surprised at the enormous room! The balcony opened up onto the main shopping street and I felt like I was on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. The apartment was clean and had a mini kitchen with bowls, utensils, etc. I loved our location although it was farther from the train station than the main hotel. This is a great price and a nice hotel...they only cleaned once every three days but that wasn't a problem. Can't wait to go back. Yes, it was loud in the evenings but I enjoyed hearing the night life under our window.
One negative: I thought we got breakfast included but they told us we didn't in what we booked through Expedia.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I booked for two visits: a two night and a one night stay before and after a week in Positano. Booked on the basis of generally favourable Trip Advisor reviews and anticipated cost. The hotel is perfectly located: close to the main suqare, shopping, train and bus station, and old town. The hotel is clean and the service good / freindly. However, it has some shortcomings.

On arrival for the two night stay, we were "upgraded" to a room on the 3rd floor at the back. The elevator from 1st to 3rd floor, was out of service so we had to carry our luggage up a number of narrow outside stairs - not a problem for us but could be for some. The room was reasonably sized, contemporary black and white plastic decor. The bathroom was large but only had a tub. Some might not find the bathroom very private. Internet was included - 5 hour allowance was enough. Breakfast was as described in earlier post - basic but OK. The room, being at the back and top of the hotel was very quiet. We were satisfied with the room and appreciated the upgrade from the originally booked "dependence" studio apartment.

On arrival for the one night stay, we were again "upgraded" from the off-site studio to the main hotel. This time however we were assigned a room behind the reception area and staff bathroom. The reception area is very noisy with all hard sound reflecting surfaces. All conversations of staff and guests could be heard - it was very intrusive. Worse, when we arrived mid-afternoon, it sounded like the female receptionist and a male co-worker were arguing loudly. Fortunately, when the reception area closed about 10:00pm, the overall noise abated. The room was at the back so there was no street noise. Good bathroom with a shower. The room hads windows to a walkway at back of hotel and has minimalist curtains. Again some might find the room lacks privacy. And, any noise emanating from the hotel room would undoubtedly be heard in reception.

Overall, the hotel is OK. It purports to be a boutique hotel and maybe it is, But maybe they should have put more design effort into practical issues (noise, privacy) rather than trying to get by on trendy (kitschy) finishing. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only for location.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2010

This hotel is in a great location, easy walk from station. Arrived to find that notwithstanding we had booked for 5 nights and paid a deposit that they were fully booked and no room was available. Staff appeared not to care and offerred alternative substandard accommodation a 10 minutes walk down the road. So bad that we had to move after 2 nights to another hotel altogether, which was cheaper than Palazzo Abagnale. Thanks to Tina at Palazzo Abagnale for helping us find this accommodation. Now trying to get my deposit back from Hostelworld.com. They are fobbing me off. DO NOT USE HOSTELWORLD.COM for your bookings.

Reviewed 5 June 2010

Arrived to find I had to climb over 20 marble steep stairs to the guest house, there is no porter service so you have to carry your own luggage up and down.

I had booked a double room (specified red or beige room 6 months in advance) with a view of the sea and a bath, got a single room with 2 twin beds pushed together a shower and a view of a few branches of tree. I paid 500 euros for 5 days! I booked via a internet website. The only colour in the this was a light grey bedspread so much for chic and funky.

I had the unfortunate experience of having the room behind the reception and behind the staff toilet, so I could hear all the noise.

I was there 5 nights and never saw any happy hour, neither was it advertised in the guesthouse. On arrival you are given a voucher for internet use for 5 hrs only.

Breakfast is a bread rolls, a few pastries, meats, cheese, youghuts and luke warm coffee and hot water for tea. There is one selection of cereal only which is great if you can manage to eat it with a teaspoon.

For the first 4 nights that I was there the guesthouse was unmanned from 10pm - 5am, there was no information left for guests who to contact in case of an emergency. On the 5th night I heard a man, who made a lot of noise, playing loud music, talking on the phone and flushed the toilet so many times I think he must of had a serious problem. Needless to say I got little sleep. On the day I departed at 8am the only staff there was the lady putting out the breakfast and making the coffee - there was no staff at the desk.

The guesthouse's best asset is Alina, who is friendly and helpful to all guests, the others didn't came across as being too friendly, on my first day at breakfast one of the staff actually ignored me she spoke to the other guests and walked straight passed me.

I got the impression the American guests got the best rooms and special treatment. My advise stay in a hotel it is cheaper and you have 24hr service with a better selection for breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2010

This little hotel has a wonderful staff and is perfectly located. The town center, shopping, train and bus stations are just a short walk away. The rooms are spacious and clean. It is a three minute one euro bus ride from the town center to the Marina Grande and the boats to the Isle of Capri.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

Walking up to the modern lobby of the hotel I thought we were going to get a clean but anonymous modern boutique hotel room. I was pleasantly surprised when we were put up in the renovated apartments a few doors down! I would take these apartments any day with their 20 foot ceilings and view down onto the main street. Located virtually smack dab in the center o town I don't think you could be any better located than here.

Tina was fantastic and provided us with great service. I would easily stay here again.