“Best villa in all of Italy!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Villa La Contessina

Villa La Contessina
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Best villa in all of Italy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The Villa La Contessa in Sorrento with it's 5 star PLUS accommodations and absolutely gorgeous scenery is by far the best place I've ever stayed in Europe. The villa was amazing! Oh, and I must mention the owner Anastacia.... She was so lovely and helpful. When we first arrived she greeted us with open arms. Anastacia was available 24/7 for all of our needs and even took us grocery shopping. I just cannot say enough kind words about this wonderful woman! We are already planning our next trip to Italy and we will definitely being going back to the Villa La Contessa!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank efeldman

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This is a beautiful villa in the heart of Sorrento. Our party (2 families traveling together) was warmly welcomed by Anastasia with sweets and limoncello as well as great advise on restaurants and activities. The gardens are large, lush and relaxing. Once you enter the gates, you'd never guess that you are only a short walk away from the train station. It's very peaceful & serene.

The house is beautiful, clean & nicely decorated with Italian tile work throughout (bring slippers if you visit in the winter!). Living room, dining room and kitchen are downstairs with lots of windows to enjoy the gardens. Stylish & comfortable chairs & picnic table are available to dine al fresco.

Two bedrooms upstairs share a large balcony with comfortable chairs and view of the ocean. 3 bedrooms upstairs have a shower; the 4th bedroom has a tub w/shower attachment. All beds were very comfortable. There's also a 5th bathroom downstairs with a shower.

We can't wait to go back! This villa is the perfect spot to relax & rejuvenate after a busy day sightseeing!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Carol B
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

In 2006 I traveled through the Italian cities of Rome and Florence. I was blown away by Florence and I thought it was one of the most amazing cities that I had experienced. That all changed when I was invited to a wedding the first week of July 2011 in Sorrento, Italy. I flew in to Naples and I took a car service from the airport to Villa La Contessina. I was instantly captured by the beauty of Sorrento and the surrounding areas as we drove towards it from the Bay Of Naples. The closer we got to Sorrento the more narrow the streets became....It felt more and more like a small town. A very beautiful, vibrant, and busy small town.

The car dropped me off at the front gate/main entrance of Villa La Contessina. I was met by Mrs. Del Vecchio and her daughter, Anastasia. As we walked through the gates I entered a very beautiful floral garden and a lush landscaped property. They brought me to a huge living room and dining room and offered me all kinds of treats, limoncello and local tourist advice. I arrived solo a day early before the family & wedding party. In 24 hours the Villa would be full of people and celebrations. So, it was just me. I was absolutely blown away by the reception and warm welcome I received when I arrived. After a taste of really good snacks and a shot of some local limoncello (I highly recommend it!) I was given a tour of the Villa by Anastasia.

If and when we had any questions about the Villa or surrounding areas, Anastasia was always very helpful! She toured me through the Villa and showed me all of its amenities. It is absolutely immaculate, well kept and it's very large. Nice sized kitchen supplied with everything you will need to cook for, and serve a family. All of the rooms are upstairs and each one has its own unique color scheme, and beautiful tile layouts. Each one inviting and comfortable. I slept very well there. All have bathrooms and there is an additional full bathroom down stairs. A couple of rooms share a balcony with a beautiful view and a comfortable place to hang out outside with a glass of wine. Just to the left of the balcony is the very beautiful, Complesso conventuale di San Francesco. You will definitely hear church bells in the morning!

Like I said I was there for a wedding and we had about 12 people staying at the Villa for a week. We were all very comfortable and enjoyed the properties landscape, size of the outdoor seating area and the variety of flowers and trees. It's very beautiful...I took a lot of photos just of the property! I shot a lot of photography of the wedding party and guests all around the interior and exterior of the Villa as well. It's a perfect location for weddings and/or photo shoots. Oh, there's also a very comfortable hammock hanging between two huge palm trees. I fell asleep there after another shot of limoncello!

The location of the Villa is perfect. Sorrento is just such an amazing little city...and the Villa is pretty much right in the middle. All kinds of restaurants, sites & sounds, and shops are within walking distance. About a 2 minute walk from the Villa is a scenic viewing location looking over The Bay Of Naples from atop a cliff. A short walk down a cobble stone switchback will take you to a nice area for a swim in the Tyrrhenian Sea. For some of the dinners we would take a stunning 10 minute walk to the Marina Grande. You will discover amazing sunsets and really good food & wine at Marina Grande! If you walk the other direction from the Villa you will enter the main Piazza Torquato Tasso and center or Sorrento. This is a bustling little city with a great nightlife and we found everything we were looking for! Sorrento's Marina, bus & train stations are also a short walk away from the Villa. You will find plenty options for ferries & transportation going to and from Capri, Ischia, Positano and surrounding areas.

I highly recommend Villa La Contessina if you're planing a trip to Sorrento. It was so comfortable I didn't want to leave. I will definitely stay there again in the near future. It was a great Italian location to visit and a perfect place to stay and be able to experience so much!! The most memorable thing about my trip were all of the Italians we met. Everyone we met were so very generous and always showed us a great time and answered so many of our questions. We met so many local shop & restaurant owners and their families. Everyone just made us feel so comfortable and when we left it felt like we were leaving good friends and saying goodbye. I still keep in touch with a lot of people I met there and I ship Sorrento's local limoncello and wine to where ever I am in the world! Thank you Villa La Contessina!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank dan f
priceA2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Anastasia could not have been more friendly and welcoming! She greeted us with Limoncello, it was exactly what we needed after a long, not so great, day of travel. The grounds are absolutely stunning. We were on our honeymoon and the view from the room couldn't have been anymore romantic! Our room was spacious, clean, and very relaxing. We had a private bathroom. The location was perfect, right by the center of town and just a short train ride to Pompeii. Anastasia also recommended her favorite restaurants and gave us directions to them. We loved all of her suggestions! We cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Capri Room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank A2Wander
Groton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Our family of eight spent a fantastic week at Villa La Contessina. Everything was fantastic. I would rate the location, privacy, cleanliness, spaciousness, convenience, and helpfulness of the owner as superior. It is one block from the shopping district, has two wonderful cafes on the next corner, and a souvenir shop with two of the nicest people as owners that I've ever met while traveling. The location is perfect for traveling the Almafi coast as well as easy train access to Pompeii and Vesuvius. We also traveled to Paestum, which is off the beaten path but very impressive. No pool or spa, but there is too much to do in the area--you don't need them.

3 Thank Jfmo
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

The villa is superb and the garden is just beatiful - large and well-kept. The location is close to perfect for those who wish to stay very close to the Sorrento city center and also close to the beach. Just 1 minute to walk into the city center but still very quiet and private. The owner (Anastasia) was very professional and charming and made us feel much welcome. We were five visitors including boys at the age of 12, 16 and 19 who just loved the feeling of "living like stars" for a week. I am a amateur triathle and was preparing for Ironman. The beach is good if you don't need sand. We even managed to find very decent tracks to run (you just run straigt up north to the mountains, or a 20 km circle Massa-Lubrense St Agata-Sorrento)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Knut B
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

First of all, to say this villa is truly perfect is not doing it enough justice! Even before we arrived, we had constant contact with Anastasia who helped us with everything from directions to hooking us up with the Foreigner's Club for our rehearsal dinner! They even gave us an amazing deal since Anastasia is their friend. And it is LITERALLY across the street (but you can't hear any of the noise at night which is wonderful).

We were greeted upon arrival by Anastasia and her mother who were waiting their with limoncello, italian cookies and champagne! Such a wonderful greeting after a long night of flying. Anastasia showed us around the gorgeous villa and we were even more pleasantly surprised! The rooms were nice and cool, big closets and each had their own bathroom. There was even an elevator so you don't have to walk up stairs if you don't want. The views were breathtaking and the yard and outdoor seating area became our favorite places!

I was married in Sorrento so we had family and friends staying everywhere but the villa's location and large outdoor seating was a great meetup spot for everyone as we left for our various tours and dinners. I even got ready there on my wedding day with all of my bridesmaids and it was just perfect....not to mention the amazing pictures we took outside in the gorgeous garden!

The location CAN NOT BE BEAT! I have been to Sorrento numerous times and this is by far the best location. Only two blocks from the main square but in this residential area where you don't hear any of the town noise! You can walk to literally everything from the train station to the bus stops to the port to the marina grande. There are some delicious and inexpensive restaurants nearby and The Corner Shop down the street which has the best limoncello in town and the cutest little owner who will give you free tastes!

The villa was immaculate, bright, and airy. It was July so we used the AC and even though the villa is big, it kept it extremely cool. The washer and dryer in the back room were a pleasant surprise so it was nice to be able to do our laundry as well. Additionally, there are four rooms within the villa and each room has its own bathroom (they are all upstairs). Then in the downstairs, there is another bathroom as well which people would use during the day so that they didn't have to go through other people's rooms. Also, there is another room that is stand alone which is out by the garden. It is a very adorable room with it's own bathroom too in case someone wanted something more private. The villa had wifi which worked perfectly as well.

There are not enough good things I can say about this place. It is seriously a perfect secret hidden gem and we truly felt like we had a home in Sorrento. We also saved alot of money as we used the kitchen alot for cooking and drinking. I would recommend this place as a B&B to people who are traveling, to families traveling together, to friends to people with children (as the yard is all enclosed and can be a nice place for kids to run around). I will definately return!!!

5 Thank wanderingseagull2