“Expensive and nothing special”

Pizzeria Aurora Sorrento
Ranked #143 of 292 Restaurants in Sorrento
Price range: US$29 - US$36
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I ate here last week, while we were on our honeymoon in Sorrento. The rep at our hotel recommended the place, so after spending the morning exploring we decided to call in for lunch.

We decided that we wanted to share a pizza as we were staying at an all inclusive hotel and knew that once we returned there that evening, we would be eating a three course meal after having eating a large breakfast a few hours earlier. I ordered the pizza to be told by the miserable waiter in a brusk tone, "pizzas are individual not for two!". I asked my husband if we should order a pizza each and we agreed no, we were the customers and we wanted just one pizza, we weren't going to bullied into buying two which was how we were made to feel!

We got our drinks promptly and waited about 15 minutes for our pizza. What a let down! The size was fine, and cut into two, was enough for a light lunch each which was what we wanted but it was so tasteless. I have eaten better, tastier pizza in the local Italian back in the UK and dare I even say it, in Pizza Express! So much for delicious, authentic Italian pizza....

All in all a bland lunch and a pretty rude, miserable waiter. I also noticed when we left that it said outside, air conditioned, and yet when asked where we wanted to sit and I'd said, inside as it will be cooler, the waiter who seated us actually said, oh well it isn't air conditioned inside?!!

I wouldn't recommend this place and if we return to Sorrento we will be looking for somewhere else to eat at lunchtime!

1  Thank JMC321
Write a ReviewReviews (1,330)

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

As it was raining we decided to visit here. We love wood fire pizzas and these were fantastic. I see some
People say they are burnt on the bottom. They are not burnt but have been cooked in a wood burning oven. They are meant to have black patches on the bottom and we love that style. The wine list is amazing. We had quntarelli vallpolicella which was Devine and Gaya rossj bass which was equally Devine. You must visit. I can not recommend enough

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Pizzeria Aurora is ideally situated on the main square in Sorrento. It was close to our accommodation and we decided to eat here on our first night. When we arrived, quite early, the tables outside were all taken so we sat inside. We ordered a drink and looked at the menu. Everything was well prepared we both had home made soup, then I had chicken and my husband had a pizza. We were sat near to the kitchen where the Pizza Oven was situated and the staff were constantly preparing pizzas. The restaurant filled up quickly and staff were dealing with large and small groups as they arrived. We enjoyed our meal, but felt it was overpriced probably due to the restaurants location, being on the main square, like St Marks Square in Venice. The ambience was good.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

From beginning to end the whole dining experience here was terrible. It was a busy evening, which maybe was why the staff were pretty damn miserable!!!! We were seated on a table behind a privet type hedge so couldn't actually see the Square.

Ordered the Aurora special pizza and I can quite honestly say it was the worst pizza I had ever eaten. The base was so hard I couldn't cut through all of it (a bit burnt underneath) and it was BLAND to say the least. Realised that there was no tomato base under the topping so no tang to it at all. Parma ham just laid across the top of it rather than within the topping which I didn't like either.

When the waiter came to collect the plates I asked why there was no tomato base there. The waiter called the guy on the entrance over and there was a discussion between them.........I was then told it had no tomato base as it was a Chef special and there were baby tomatoes in the topping. Yeah right, lol..........if there were I certainly didn't see any!!!!

As I was having this conversation Mamma (who kept her beady eye on everything) came over and tried to then clear the table which included a bottle of expensive wine which we hadn't finished!!!! How rude!!!!

We weren't going to be pushed around by anyone and stood our ground and although we didn't particularly want a sweet course, we ordered one. Didn't enjoy my sweet either but that was down to me making the wrong choice.

There is not one good thing I can say about the Aurora.........except it is probably the worst restaurant anywhere I have been to............. it was expensive.............and the staff certainly need some customer service lessons and learn some manners...........and a bit of personality wouldn't go amiss either!!!!

1  Thank 19caz59
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We were directed to this restaurant by it's next door neighbour (under the same ownership).
It was late afternoon and business was slow only one other outside table was occupied. We just wanted a drink, snack and to watch the world go by in a chilled atmosphere, however the staff were not about to allow that!
We were immediately pressurised into ordering drinks, followed by repeated attempts by various staff to order food! We ordered some bread & bruschetta in an attempt to placate them however once finished this was whipped away and the waiter demanded we order our main course. The prices were high and we were feeling increasingly disturbed by the abrupt & rude attitude of the staff and decided we would eat elsewhere. The head waiter hung around our table he appeared most perturbed. At one stage he mumbled "this is a restaurant you know!"
As a group we have travelled the world, I can honestly say that this is the only place we have ever been and not left a tip!
We were made to feel intimated, unworthy & utterly disrespected by the staff at this quaint looking pizzeria!
Do not be fooled do not go there!
We also noticed 2 or 3 other customers who were English being made to feel the same!

2  Thank Fzhutch