“touristic and not too friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Syrenuse

Syrenuse
Ranked #126 of 273 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian, Bar, Pizza, Mediterranean
Good for: Cheap Eats, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
berlin
“touristic and not too friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

we had an aperitif here, just once, because the staff was so uninterested, sort of harsh and arrogant, that we found it unpleasant. - The drink was ok, was overpriced. - There are much nicer and better places to sit and enjoy an early evening drink, i would say...

Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
“Waste of time and palate. ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Great location in Piazza Tasso, with sub-par tourist food and poor service. We weren't sure about eating here as it was full of what looked like a tour group, but we had time to kill before checking into our hotel. They did seat us on the side patio, which has a nice view. The spaghetti carbonara was terrible, but it could just be that we'd come from very good food in Rome. We've made better at our house, with ease. The pizza margherita was average, and the dough was incredibly chewy and thick, even by Napoli standards. To top it all off, service felt rushed, and they brought us the check and said we should provide a 10% tip for "the boys". We declined, and realized we should have read other TA reviews which mention the same thing. Sorrento doesn't have much, but they do have better.

Sorrento, Italy
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good location - reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Unlike some establishments in Sorrento -we were allowed to share a pizza here. There is free wifi for patrons. We visited twice - the food is good and reasonably priced for the location. There is a Good choice of drinks, the hot chocolate is very nice whilst the Syrenuse cocktail was delicious. We've reduced the score because the service can be a bit brusque - We were served our mains whilst we were still eating our starters. We've been in Sorrento a week now and this bar is always busy which indicates it is doing something right.

Visited March 2014
Melbourne, Australia
“Avoid, avoid, avoid. Bar Syrenuse are cheaters.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had lunch here on a rainy day, since we couldn't be bothered finding somewhere more interesting and we wanted to get out of the wet. Bad choice. I had the minestrone soup which was bland. It was just a bunch of soggy vegetables in hot water. My partner had spaghetti bolognese which was fine. It's pretty difficult to screw up spaghetti bolognese. The one star rating, however, comes from the experience when we decided to pay. We didn't order drinks or any side dishes so they were obviously peeved that we hadn't spent much money. The order came to 18 euro which the waiter said 'with no cover charge'. The menu clearly states at the front that all meals INCLUDE cover charge and bread and butter. I.e you do not need to pay any extra on top of your meals, which is good for Italy. The waiter, just as I pulled my credit card out, said 'so the 10% tip I will put on your card?' I stared at him and asked him what he meant. He asked the same question and my partner, not wanting to make a scene, just said yes. He added 2 euro onto the bill, which is incidentally more than 10% of 18 euro.

Let me be clear - tipping is not a custom in Italy. The waiters are paid a living wage and the tips go straight to the restaurant, not to the waiters themselves. I have heard that some Americans tip like they are at home, which is totally wrong! You should tip only if you find the service is really exceptional, which it is definitely not at Bar Syrenuse. I don't know whether they thought we were American (we are Australian, where tipping is not customary), but it was a total tourist trap move.

I walked away seething. Okay, so it is only 2 euro. However, the nerve of the waiter to put me in a position where I was literally inserting my card into the machine and add on a 2 euro fee is horrendous. The receipt he gave me to sum up the bill was 18 euro, so that is what I should have paid. If you are planning on spending lots of money here, how much would a 10% tipping fee come up to??? I would just completely avoid this place to reduce the risk of having to pay much more than what you expect. There are so many amazing and beautiful restaurants in Sorrento without a cover charge and without the mythical 'tipping fee'.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Madeleine C
Newton, Massachusetts
“Great location, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

Located right in Piazza Tasso, Syrenuse seems to be a regular meeting place for local young people who want some food to go with their drinks (as opposed to having drinks to go with your food).

Having just arrived in Sorrento after landing in Naples we were just looking for someplace to have supper on a Sunday night. Syrenuse was right in front of us and clearly active with locals as well as tourists, so we gave it a shot.

Service was limited by the staffing levels but not terrible. Our mushroom risotto and veal cutlet were acceptable but certainly unexceptional. Prices were reasonable.

So, if you are looking for a "great dining experience", it's not here but if you are looking for a reasonably good meal at a reasonable price, go for it. It is like your not-special-occasion neighborhood restaurant... particularly if you are in a neighborhood with a lot of 20-somethings. We found the bustle made a enjoyable atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014