“Fantastic Hotel in the Heart of Sorrento”
Review of Maison Tofani

Maison Tofani
Ranked #16 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Maison Tofani was GREAT--Perfect location-clean comfy friendly. Fabulous breakfast with everything from eggs to meats to fruits to DOLCE- great food. We enjoyed our 3 night stay AND GIOVANNI was wonderful-friendly, helpful and always with a smile---He is an asset to Maison Tofani
Also, Russ was the tops too. We look forward to returning to Sorrento and will stay here again.

1  Thank aviano2013
stofani, Proprietario at Maison Tofani, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guests,
We hope to see you soon again at Maison Tofani. It’s with great pleasure that we read your words and your review about our hotel.
Thank you very much.

Maria D’Esposito

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Maison Tofani is located in the small, pedestrianised shopping area of Sorrento. Entering between two enormous wooden doors into a old stone courtyard the ancient appearance of the building is delightful, there was a book for sale at the hotel detailing it's history and restoration.

We were shown around the hotel by Nunziana who took us to our room up a few flights of ancient flagstone steps, your bags are taken up in the lift and there is lift access if required. Our room was 104, the room was a generous size, the floor beautifully tiled, with a high wooden ceiling giving the impression of space and light. The bathroom appeared newly tiled with a power shower, double basins and good lighting. Tea/coffee making facilities are supplied with decent size cups, and plenty of wardrobe space and hangers.

When I first sat on the bed I initially thought oh dear the bed feels a little hard however, I was amazed to see it was a new memory foam mattress with pillows of the same. I can honestly say that this was one of the first times we both woke without bad backs in the morning, especially after all the walking we were doing. The bed was incredibly comfortable the sheets and towels were changed regularly and the room was immaculate.

Maison Tofani is basically a very upmarket bed and breakfast. It has a small bar for pre dinner drinks, but it is not a hotel with pool, spa, etc. This is a place to stay and explore the area. There are so many museums and places of historic interest to visit a short walk away, and the hotel supply beach towels should you wish to visit the beaches close to hand.

Breakfast was a generous choice of cooked food, typical Italian breakfast with roast vegetables, eggs, meat, sausage, olives, served alongside more traditional continental hotel breakfast of breads, pastries, cereal, juice etc. It is a self serve buffet in another beautiful room with incredible frescos on the ceiling. coffees and tea are served to you at the table.

Our room being over the main street I was concerned we might have suffered evening noise, but not so. The pedestrianised streets are quiet late at night, but there are two large shutters to close over the window which blocks out any stray noise you may hear. A quiet room and a comfy bed what more could you ask?

We spent four nights at Mason Tofani in October and had a few days rain mixed with sun which enabled us to see all the sights and more. Giovanni the manager was incredibly helpful and also arranged for a guide for Pompeii and taxi's to and from the airport.

Gaetano was our driver who also does day tours to mozzarella, olive oil and limoncello factories taking in the Amalfi Coastlne. We did not get the chance to do that trip but are returning to take in more of this beautiful place, and take this trip where I understand you get to sample the goods!

Giovanni also re-arranged my flights home and they kindly supplied me with a packed breakfast the previous night as I was leaving before breakfast was served, which I felt was very thoughtful.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend Maison Tofani, for the warm welcome, standard of , service and facilities, also it's situation, it is a 10 minute walk to the station and about a 15 minute walk down to the sea being centrally located. It is close to many good restaurants, so taxi's are not required just good walking shoes as the streets are ancient flagstones that can be slightly uneven.

Giovanni and all your staff, thank you for a memorable stay, we will be back!

1  Thank 332SMH

Dear Guests,
I want to thank you for your detailed description and for the great review that I’ve received for my Maison.
I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay.
We are waiting for you again as soon as possible.
Together with my staff, I send you our kindest regards,

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I am almost reluctant to write a review - attracting too many people will make this place harder to get into and raise prices.

After 3 days in the disappointing Hotel Regina, we moved here for 2 more nights. What a contrast! Located in a beautifully renovated 17th century building, Mason Tofani boasts large rooms with high ceilings, beautifully finished with the bathroom being brand new. Located in the busiest Street in the old town of Sorrento, there is no vehicular traffic, but plenty of foot traffic. However, it is very quiet at night, so you won't have any trouble sleeping unless you like to sleep during the day.

Service from Giovanni at reception is excellent and the breakfasts are outstanding. Maria, the owner and manager is an elegant lady with style (she oversaw the renovation - an exceedingly well-done renovation including copies of original floor tiles, doors etc., hand-made and individually designed furniture; she also is intimately involved with creating the breakfasts. I don't want to omit the cleaning staff, backup reception and porters who are all good.

On departure after 2 great nights there, we were touched and delighted by the warm embrace Maria gave us both.

1  Thank gnomeaz

Dear Guests,
On behalf of the Maison Tofani staff, I want to thank you for your kindness and for your beautiful words. They make us feel gratified with our work!
We hope to see you again as soon as possible.
Best regards,

Reviewed 11 October 2013

On the spur of the moment, having an extra day enroute to our rented apt in Maiori, we looked up places to stay in Sorrento for one night and picked Maison Tofani based on favorable reviews. ARE WE GLAD WE DID! Don't do like we did however, you'll not want to leave after only one night. If we could do it over we'd spend our entire week here. It's a converted palazzo, spacious rooms, beautifully appointed bathrooms, absolutely delicious breakfast menu with lots of home-made delicacies, reliable Wi-Fi, and an unbeatable location. But best of all is the friendly and gracious welcome throughout your stay. Thanks Maria, Anunziana and Giovanni, and all the staff, even the driver contracted by the hotel to pick us up at the car park and escort us to the hotel pedestrian area....Mille Grazie!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank smf7

Dear Guests,
I read with pleasure that your stay at Maison Tofani, was greatly appreciated.
I hope to see you again and we count you as among our special guests.
I send to you our kindest regards.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Maison Tofani is located in the heart of the old town of Sorrento so is very conveniently located. However, whilst they have an arrangement for parking, note this is not near the hotel itself. You drive first to the car park and then get transferred to a nearby square where staff meet you to help carry your bags to the hotel which is in a pedestrianised part of the town. The staff, were all extremely obliging and helpful. Being an old palazzo most of the rooms are grand and elegant and the dining room where breakfast is served is especially impressive with a painted ceiling. The breakfast itself is also an impressive buffet, especially if you have a sweet tooth. There were enough cakes and pastries to run a small cake shop! There was also a nice roof terrace from which there is a stunning view across the bay to Vesuvius and a nice spot for an evening drink. I would recommend this hotel if you want a smart, well appointed hotel in the centre of town.

Room Tip: Our room turned out to be in the loft - which is exactly what it was. There were only velux windows...
2  Thank cmk1712

Dear Guests,
On behalf of the Maison Tofani staff, we want to thank you and we are waiting for you here to have another pleasant stay.
Your review and your words make us very happy! They motivate us to always do better too.
We are waiting for you again.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Sorrento was the last stop on our recent vacation in the Amalfi Coast region of Italy. Sorrento was my choice; my wife chose the other places. She researched where to stay and Maison Tofani consistently came up as a top spot. Well, everyone was quite right about this place! The room was awesome and opened to a wonderful balcony that looked down on a DELIGHTFUL little side street, about 2 blocks off the main downtown area. The room and bathroom were beautiful and the bathroom looked recently updated. It was large by European standards and everything was clean and sparkling! The night we arrived was my birthday and the next morning at breakfast, the owner actually made me a special birthday cake herself!! It was possibly the MOST delicious dessert I have ever had. BTW, never had cake for breakfast! Quite an experience! We shared some with the British couple next to us, who were wonderful and very friendly and we all agreed it was special! From Giovanni's wonderful hospitality, to the owner running an extremely well-managed hotel and being the perfect hostess, to the room and location - put this on your list if you're going to Sorrento and are staying overnight...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelBuddy913

Dear Guests,
I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay.
We are waiting for you again as soon as possible.
Together with my staff, I send you our kindest regards,

Reviewed 5 October 2013

After The Royal Princess malfunctioned in the middle of the Ionian Sea and arrived 2 days late in Naples, many of us had to make different plans rapidly. Having overheard how beautiful Sorrento is, my husband immediately looked on Tripadvisor, and luckily found this lovely hotel and booked us in for 2 nights. It is rated number one for a reason! Giovanni was incredible, he could not do enough for us. He and his assistant met our cab in a nearby square and hauled our bags for us to the hotel a block or two away. We spent one night in room 302, which was nice. Very unusual architecture. The terrace on the roof was gorgeous! Such a nice place to relax with wonderful views. The second night we were upgraded to room 105. This room had a lovely high wooden ceiling and a little balcony overlooking a small street below. Breakfast could be better, to be honest, but it didn't really matter. Make sure to take a boat ride to Capri for the day if you have the chance, it was fantastic. Thanks to all the staff at the Maison Tofani for making our trip just as wonderful as Princess meant it to be!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank runaway_with_me
stofani, Proprietario at Maison Tofani, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Dear Guests,
I read with pleasure that your stay at Maison Tofani, was greatly appreciated.
I hope to see you again and we count you as among our special guests.
I send to you our kindest regards.