“Bad service, displeased perssonel, far from the center, high prices for bar and restaurant”

Hotel Parco dei Principi
Ranked #37 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 1 September 2013

It is 4 star hotel just because of view and big rooms. The personnel is not smiling at all, on the breakfast it is hard somebody to be quick, smile and not show how unhappy they are to serve you.
Also it is so noisy at the breakfasr area, the garçons taking out the tableware just in front of your table while you are eating and must see the removal of the rest of food. Just horrible.
The prices are high evry where, in the restaurant, in the bar on the beach and in the swimming pool bar. One beer 0,33 costs 7 euro, some simple snack about 12. So you will not be comfortable to stay on the beach consuming some drinks and food. Also the menu is very very limited.
The parking is payful, 15 per night. For 4 star hotel without parking, come on?
Also it situated 15 min far from the city center, so anything you want you will lose at least 1h just to go and to resolve.

Good things are, veiw from the restaurant, good variety of delicious croissant and fruits on the breakfast. The rooms are really big, the cleanliness is also very good.

So just compare adv and disadvantages you will understand that it is better to choose other option.

I will not return.

Room Tip: Our was 220-221 big one but without a view for the sea.
5 Thank Sofia S
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Hotel Parco dei Principi, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Mrs. Sofia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Parco dei Principi hotel in Sorrento.

Please accept my apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and I regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations.

We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your opinion and I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back for a future stay in Sorrento.

Yours, Sincerely,

Royal group hotels & resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nyc
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Lets be clear.....amazing property with spectacular views, immaculate, and well maintained.

It is just beautiful....but it ends there.

Located on outskirts of town. So unless you just stay there, which not a lot of people seem to do, it is a pain to get to town,

They have shuttle service that is by reservation only and fills up rapidly. You can't make reservations day before, but must wake up at 7 am to dial reservation if you want to avoid 15 euro plus cab fare to town......or take 25 minute walk down loud road with cars and mopeds whizzing by.

The staff has an attitude and they just never smile. Questions are treated with a roll of the eyes and laziness.Mario is knowledgable, but just wants to get through conversations. When asked if my room was waterfront....he said...yes, yes...and hurried me off. Next day, he asked me to see information booth downtown about busses.

Pool closes at 6 pm.....don't go at 5:30,...they will have started the closing process and have no towels. What's the big deal....pool is away from everything.

And.. The place is just.loud....no carpets....while beautiful and immaculate...the room reminded me of college dorm for noise....just all tile and was woken up daily at 7 am by familiesdown hall and some construction work.

I had room 108 ....like many others...above dining terrace.....dining staff stared up at me half the time when on what was otherwise beautiful balcony.

Breakfast was good...but again staff was cold or trained pleasant.

This is just not a happy, upbeat place with people who want to work there. That said...it is beautiful ....just not worth the grief.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view...high floor...away from dining facility
6 Thank Redsox1918
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at the Parco dei Principi hotel in Sorrento.

I appreciate your compliments about the location of our property and the view from it. However, I am surprised about your review concerning the staff attitude as it is indeed not reflecting the usual level of service we are used to deliver to our valuable guests.

Please accept my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your recent stay.

Be sure all your comments have been forwarded to the head of services concerned.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your next visit on the Amalfi Coast.

Kind regards,

Royal Group hotels & resorts
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Hotel Parco die Principi is a great place for a short break. The views for the Hotel are breathtaking and the best rooms are those with a sea view. That said, the grounds are kept immaculately and it makes a pleasant change to be able to wander through some greenery when you get back after a day on the beach (or in the shops!). The decor is a real one-off and I doubt whether you'll stay in anywhere quote the same. Excellent private beach and decking area which is perfect for sunbathing. Food was good but sometimes meal times were a bit chaotic - although to be fair after a couple of days it was sorted. All in all great hotel, prettying good value for money and good shopping in Sorrento town, which is only a 15min walk away. Note if you catch a taxi back from town in the evening it will cost you €20min for a journey that takes less than 5mins by car! There are many restaurants in the town, the ones we tried were all very good and not too expensive. Finally this is not really a "family" hotel, it's not really set up for children. Definitely would go back again.

Room Tip: Sea views bump up the price, the park side view is perfectly ok
1 Thank Barnetty
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Department at Hotel Parco dei Principi, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Mr. Paul,

Thank you for choosing the Parco dei Principi hotel during your recent visit in Sorrento and for taking the time to submit a kind review regarding your stay.

We are so glad to read that you have fully appreciated the beauty of our property, the marvelous view from our rooms and our private beach.

It is a pleasure for us to achieve our guest’s satisfaction!

Looking forward to your return visit for living unforgettable experience again.

Kind regards,

Royal Group hotels & resorts
London
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I have no reservations in recommending this wonderful hotel and if ever back in the area I would stay here again. I stayed April 2013 for 10 nights on honeymoon. The hotel is sleek and stylish and the staff very helpful. We opted for a larger sea front room (on the second floor) which had the most stunning views across the Bay of Naples to Mt. Vesuvius - as the hotel is located on the cliff edge – probably the best view I have enjoyed from a hotel room.

The room has a large floor to ceiling window which has a electronic block-out shutter; wide balcony and good sized bathroom and wardrobe; and the decor is all 1950’s.

There is a large breakfast room which has a covered glass balcony again with those views. However space out there is limited so in peak season you’d miss a table. The breakfast itself is generous and plentiful, buffet style with the usual goodies and includes some nice sweet cakes and treats. However there is that awkward toaster thing which always means there is a queue. Also it is not like other 5 star hotels I have stayed in that offer made-to-order omelettes/pancakes/waffles etc.

I did not eat in the restaurant and may have only had one drink at the bar – expect the usual prices. I used the TV usually only in the mornings to catch the news quickly, there is not a huge range of English channels, as expected. The Wifi is very patchy in the rooms, I had to sit by the door to get signal to download my messages and had to sit in the hotel bar to make a Skype call.

The entire hotel has tiled floors so expect some noise – but it’s nothing crazy. Oh except if there is a large tour group departing and they all slunk their luggage down the stairs at 0700. But you get that.

I stayed here on the cusp of the season so unfortunately the pool was drained, the wonderfully looking seafood restaurant and the private sundeck area closed – which is probably why I got such a good price.

The public areas of the hotel are gorgeous, there are large tiled terraces with outdoor sofas and stunning lush gardens. It’s a very nice place to stay.

Location wise it’s an easy 15 minute stroll into town, which we did daily. There is a mini-bus service but always check with them first. We made the mistake of asking reception to call us a cab to the ferry terminal and which ended up costing €28! It was €8 before we left the hotel grounds. So check with the driver the cost first.

There is a great local restaurant about 8 minutes up the road towards town, in fact it’s the first you come too. We dined here three times, and would go back just for this charming authentic place.

For day trips we went to Pompei, Herculaneum, Alamlfi, Capri and Ischia. All very worthwhile. Ischia is a 50 minute one way ferry but the island has natural hot springs, well worth the early ferry (and expensive cab ride as stated!)

Lastly for any fellow Aussies, this hotel was used in the movie Kath & Kimerella – the characters Pru & Tru stayed here.

Room Tip: Have to book sea view - no questions. And try to get a balcony room to further enjoy the wonderful l...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonAston01
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing with us your feedback concerning your stay at the Parco dei Principi Hotel in Sorrento.

I am really pleased to read that you have fully appreciated all the aspects of our hotel. The way you describe your experience let us imagine how you enjoyed our property. Your pleasant compliments are our best reward.

Concerning the breakfast that you have also really enjoyed, I wish to inform you that all pastries and cake are produced by our pastry chef!

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Weiden, Germany
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel was very nice and clean. Had a great modern beach feel while still feeling extremely high end. I was a walk in looking for a hotel for the night and it was just lovely. They were very lovely and helpful. I was able to keep my bag there safely while I toured the coast for the day. It's very nice and I would recommend it more for couples or families with older kids.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Manager at Hotel Parco dei Principi, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Mrs. Ericka,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback concerning your stay at the Parco dei Principi Hotel in Sorrento.

I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and had time to experience our private beach.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Parco dei Principi Hotel for your next visit in Sorrento.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

We had 5 nights at the hotel in July and paid the extra for the sea view room - which I would recommend. The hotel itself is very nice and has great views over the bay, down the cliffs to Sorrento harbour and across to Vesuvius. The staff were all very friendly and spoke good English (which helped as my Italian is terrible!). In terms of what is missing from this hotel, I would have to say the service level. We had dinner one evening in the terrace restaurant, great views of the sunset but fairly expensive even by Sorrento's standards. The food was very good and the staff were very nice it was just the service. After being seated we waited about 15 minutes to be given menus, after 45 minutes we got our bottle of wine. We just had 2 courses, no coffee and the whole thing was about 2 hours. The same could be said on the concierge, very nice, friendly people but when we enquired about a trip to Pompeii we were told to go into town and find an excursion company. The thing that niggled me the most was the hotels view on irons. Unlike any other hotel I have ever stayed in around the world this hotel believed it is too dangerous to have an iron in your room. A bit odd but ok, provide a laundry room somewhere so we can access an iron - also too dangerous. The only option you have is to pay €5.50 per shirt, more for dresses or trousers. Overall I would recommend this place as its a good hotel. If I went back to Sorrento would I stay there again? - probably not, and if I did I would pack a travel iron!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
RoyalContinental_Nap, Sales Manager at Hotel Parco dei Principi, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Dancingbob10,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your feedback regarding your experience at the Parco dei Principi Hotel in Sorrento.

I really appreciate to read that you enjoyed our seaview rooms and that you had a great time in Sorrento.

I apologies for the time you had to wait in our restaurant, be sure your comments will be forwarded to the concerned department in order to avoid any recurrence of such situations .

Your faithfully,

Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hotel Parco dei Principi was the last stop on our 10 day tour through Italy. The hotel is located on a cliff with awesome views of the bay and a nice beach. The front desk staff was professional, however the hotel restaurant is a bit expensive and the staff there was needs more training in customer service. The hotel itself is suitable, however needs updating. Overall I would visit again just for the astonishing views!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear kiki h,

I thank you very much for taking time to share with us your feedback concerning your experience at the Parco dei Principi Hotel in Sorrento.

I am grateful to learn that you really enjoy your stay with us and the “ashtonishing” view from our property. Your satisfaction is our main goal and your compliment our best rewards!

I’d like to let you know that the hotel is the first hotel design in the world and the colors, materials and decorative elements of the hotels comes from the brilliance mind of Gio Ponti, the original forerunner of those “Design Hotels” now raging in the hospitality scene
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back for your next visit in Sorrento.