“Phenominal views, great staff”

Hotel Parco dei Principi
Ranked #38 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Westborough, Massachusetts
“Phenominal views, great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

Lucky enough to stay here on my honeymoon and it was almost perfect. Entering the property, you pass through a lush garden that's criss-crossed with trails on which to meander. The hotel itself is atop a cliff overlooking the Mediterranean, offering breathtaking sunsets (which my wife and I enjoyed each and every night of our stay). The staff was courteous and helpful, the restaurant was slightly pricier than other options in the area (which can be said of any hotel) but the food was great and the service was far superior to any that we had during the rest of our journey. My only complaint...the hotel's floors are all a very distinctive blue tile. While this looks good, it makes the hallways very loud and echo-y, which made it a little difficult to sleep at times. On the whole, however, the stay was wonderful and I'd highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Sorrento.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matt4633

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

Generally I didn't think it was that great but I think it was more Sorrento that I wasn't that impressed with, thought it would have been nicer and that I wouldn't be stepping over dog dirt every 2 minutes!
I quite liked the hotel, liked the terrace bar at night where we sat and watched the fireworks, but the piano man singing romantic songs on the keyboard/karaoke machine did my head in!
Liked the pool although sometimes it was difficult to get a sunbed that was in the sun. The beach was ok, you could get a sunbed there.
The decor didn't offend me but for what I paid I do prefer it a bit more plush. I understand what people mean about it being clinical but then again you are only sleeping there so it didn't bother me too much.
I read on other reviews that they were disturbed at night by people walking down the corridors and banging around. I was only disturbed 1 night and I think it was the room directly above - it sounded like someone was really banging wardrobe doors and drawers at 3am.
We walked into Sorrento every night and I didn't particularly enjoy the walk, I didn't actually feel that safe but I think I was just being paranoid. There is a lot of graffiti and it is quite dark. The hotel shuttle bus only runs in the morning until 12.30, then there are a couple of buses at 5 - 6.30pm so never actually got to take advantage of that one.
My overall opinon is nice to see, but won't go back.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
SP
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2008

When I search about the hotel on TripAdvisor, I could not understand why do people LOVE OR HATE the hotel so deeply!So.................everything become clear as fast as I could imagine!!We booked a "total view" room. AMAZING! It looked like Honeymoon! I saw two or three small bugs and kill them, its a normal thing for a beach place!At that night, when we went to sleep........ one, two, three......... twenty bugs!!!!!!! I call the front desk, the guy said that he couldn´t resolve the problem and I should wait the next day. He also make a joke about the bugs asking me if they were sooo big !!!When my husband and I looked better, we realize that all THE FURNITURE HAD SMALL HOLES: the bugs were TERMITES, the bug who eats wood. WHO DISGUSTING! I could not sleep that night. The next day was Friday, I talk to employees BUT THEY SAID THEY WOULD RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. NO ONE DID ITI!!!!On the end of the day, the manager appears and said that was her day off and offer a simple room, on the first floor near a stair! VERY BAD!!!!! But we keep it. NO BUGS!!NO ONE SAID "We are sorry", NO ONE WAS KIND TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM ! NO ONE TRIED TO MAKE US FELL CONFORTABLE!THE HOTEL IS FANCY and NOBLE BUT the EMPLOYEES desappeard when we needed! WE EXPECTED SOME SPECIAL SUPORT! For example: when we arrive, FOUR EMPLOYEES WERE THERE TO HELP US. BUT, when we had a problem, NO ONE! What could I say !?!?!?

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — BUGS ALL OVER THE ROOM. STAFF MEMBERS
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LVEH
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

We recently stayed here as we had a wedding to attend, and since we had never had a honeymoon ourselves we thought we would splurge and stay at a hotel with great ocean views.
I chose the location as it was walking distance to the Ambassitori hotel (top class/ top service) 12 min away but further away from the city centre . 20 mins from hotel to city centre The hotel is an ok hotel but I feel that it doesn't rate 5 stars and it would be only be a 4 star based only on its outside surroundings and quality ocean views.I can't comment on breakfast as we didn't have it included in our booking and we payed 170 euro per night!!! ( hotel has to make a profit I guess!!) The hotel is overdosed in tile features and with other comments this helps carrying sound across the floor, we stayed in the corner of the hotel and were only woken by the wake up call of a neighbouring room. Room was ok but the windows were showing signs of wear and tear (ageing) and the outside louvers were also showing ageing and allowed light to pass through in the mornings ( probably needed a clean). Sheets WERE new however I felt the person selecting the sheets chose the material based on longitivity of the sheet compared against customers comfort ( they did have a sand paper feel to them) Sorrento is a great place but I feel people selecting hotels would be better off choosing another hotel as there is no way I can recommend this hotel purely based on its over classed rating and price. I hope this helps others in choosing a hotel in Sorrento. And a day trip to positano is a must better still an overnight trip would be better.

• Liked — garden
  • Disliked — price and hotel rating
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ozzyoslo
sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2008

My wife and I have returned from a wonderful holiday
near Sorrento. The occasion was special as it marked
40 years since we met. We now have 3 children and 4
soon to be 6 grandchildren.
For a romantic break like ours the setting of the
Hotel Parco dei Principii could not have been
bettered. Probably the most beautiful and cared-for
hotel garden we have experienced anywhere in the world
and we are very well travelled.
The site of the hotel was also stunning, perched on a cliff with amazing panoramic views from Sorrento right across to Mt
Vesuvius. Nearby, centuries old villas gave the area a
unique and special aura. I love sea swimming and the
view from 100m out back to the coast was just superb
and overcame my next best near Dubrovnic in Croatia.
The hotel's swimming pool was also of an excellent
quality for myself but possibly too uniformly deep for
most people. Again, its setting was fabulous.
The hotel building was contemporary with the age of
our teen years and the interior design features
captured that era well. We like minimalist design so
in this respect the hotel was just right. However it
would appear that most people do not as we never saw
many people in the lounge areas, the lobby or the
piano bar as you would normally see in this class of
hotel.
Maybe this is the principal reason why the hotel rates
so poorly on internet guides. It (the hotel) is
probably more important than its guests - a situation
that should not occur and is a big problem for the
owners of a hotel which unreasonably considers it to
be of 5* classification.
In our experience the hotel itself would rate 3* in
the Far East (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia
etc.) and probably 4* in most of Europe.

Overall summary - excellent location, gardens, pool,
sea decks, design and architectural features but
spoiled by poor management and training in
customer-care related areas.

The hotel will nevertheless appeal to those who can
override aggravating annoyances.

• Liked — Stunningly beautiful gardens,pool and terraces and superb location. Hotel interior design and architecture. Large bed and bathroom. Sun terrace.
  • Disliked — Customer care and attention to detail. No tea & coffee facilities in room. Free shuttle bus finishes too early.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

Not a 5 star hotel in any way except the views.
The good. The staff was mostly helpful. And the cliff side views were spectacular.
The "others." Nothing comfortable about this hotel. The rooms were cold,noisy and bare. The beds uncomfortable. Food was way overpriced. Couldn't wait to leave and go downtown. Sorrento is terrific, this hotel is not. If looking for classic Italian romance, look elsewhere. Nothing warm or inviting about this hotel.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Noisy,cold rooms with uncomfortable beds
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank MRGFlorida
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

What a disappointment! I agree with all of the "sterility" comments; however, the villas were far from sterile! We stayed in the villa near the entrance to the hotel. We did not have hot water for three days! After several trips and phone calls to the front desk, the "technician" was unable to resolve our problem. My husband had to climb up onto the kitchen cabinet to access the hot water heater...and found the problem...and repaired it HIMSELF! It was also filthy and noisy!

The beds were old (not antique) and NOT comfortable! In fact, I sat on the side of my bed and it just about flipped over on top of me! The bedspread was thin and had a rubber-like feel; def. not something you would find in a five star hotel!

The food at the restaurant was aweful...and way overpriced.

The only positive feedback I have is regarding the bar staff. They were AWESOME! Giovanni, Alessandro, Sam and Gigi, took such great care of us. If it wasn't for their hospitality, we would have NOTHING positive to say about our experience!

The worst part about this experience, is the lack of concern from the hotel manager and the other staff under her. They were rude and said on several occasions that "they have never had any complaints in eleven years". Treated us as if we were demanding. Is a hot shower too much to ask for, in a five star hotel? Not to mention, we were not given clean towels or toilet paper until we called for them! Again...too much to ask???!!!

I could go on for hours! Bottom line: Don't stay in this hotel! I may go back to have a drink with the wonderful bar staff...but, would never stay here, again!

• Liked — Bar staff were awesome!
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business