“Room with an amazing view of the Amalfi Coast, fresh OJ and more...”

Il Nido Hotel Sorrento
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Miami
“Room with an amazing view of the Amalfi Coast, fresh OJ and more...”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We arrived in Sorrento at the Circumvesuviana Train Station around 3:30 p.m. and took a taxi to the hotel. We had gotten detailed instructions on where to go to pick up the shuttle to the hotel, but we were tired and with luggage, so just took a cab which was 25 Euros. Check-in was easy, the staff very friendly. We got a list of possible tours from the hotel and booked one to Capri the next morning. Our room, 179, was down a long hallway on what looks to be an addition. The view from our room and the balcony was spectacular- overlooking Mt. Vesuvius, Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. The hotel isn't located in downtown Sorrento, but about a 10 minute drive up the hill. We had a drink in the dining room at sunset- highly recommended. There is also a bar to have drinks.The hotel itself, in some spots, is a little dated and run down but the excellent staff's welcoming attitude and the view, more than make up for this fact. Our room (179) was quite large, had a mini-fridge, safe, closet and hair dryer. The floor was tile (a little cold on the feet), the bathroom pre-fab shower (which seems to be common in Italy), the towels were waffle weave type and there was a shampoo/bath gel combo (no conditioner). The bedspread were a little flimsy, but the air conditioning worked great. The hotel is quite large, there is a huge downstairs area where a washer/dryer and iron and ironing board are located. Breakfast was ample and delicious and they have a neat machine that you can put an orange in to make fresh orange juice. There was eggs, potatoes, fresh tomatoes, coffee, ham, salami, cheese, fruit and a ton of little pastries, including this hard cookie filled with ricotta that was delicious. We spent the day at Capri on the tour, which I don't recommend because it was about twice as much as taking the boat to Capri on your own, it left at 8 and returned at 6:30, which is really too long in Capri. Some of the people running the tour weren't very nice and you have to pay CASH, which they didn't mention ahead of time. The positive side is they pick you up at the hotel. I really loved this hotel, most of all because the staff- there were two brothers working together- was nice, helpful and friendly. The shuttle bus leaves every hour (I think) to go into downtown Sorrento, although it is tempting to just stay in the hotel and look at the view and, the day we left, we took the shuttle (with our luggage) and it dropped us at the train station. I paid 110 Euro per night.

Room Tip: Room 179 has an amazing view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Glee47
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,
you are a real super contributor. Let me say that you review is very complete! I'm always happy to read this kind of review as i'm sure that it helps us in improving our services, and on the other side helps our future guests too.
It's a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciated also the small details like the o.j. machine!
We'll be looking forward to seeing again soon!
Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Surrey
Reviewed 5 June 2014

All the great reviews are true. A lovely, family-run hotel, where our group of females felt instantly at home. Great staff (not intrusive but always available and so helpful), views, breakfasts, evening meals (we could not bear to tear ourselves away in the evening the food was so excellent) and a great base for exploring Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. Thank you Il Nido for making our visit so wonderful and for some lovely memories.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lezleesurrey
Dear Guest,
let me say that your review makes me so happy, because you really enjoyed everything here at hotel il Nido. You wrote "didn't want to leave", well, the only solution is to come back next year, and maby stay longer with us.
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Although we did not directly stay at el nido we were in a villa across the way , we did have an evening meal on two occasions within our week, the staff were charming and attentive and the food/wine was excellent . Thankyou for adding to our wonderfull week in this lovely area .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank len s
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your review. I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed our restaurant. I already shared your comments with all the staff.
Hoping to see you soon here again.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just after spending 2 nights in this hotel and it was a great little find.My wife and I left rome in a hurry and booked this place last minute for 90 euro per night. When I arrived in Sorrento I called the hotel for directions and they were very helpful in pointing out the local bus for 2 euro!! A bargain as taxis are very expensive. The hotel is a little out of town but the shuttle service is excellent, the place has a nice relaxed family vibe. The rooms are standard but I would suggest better quality towels but otherwise fine. The breakfast was really good, its a buffet with lots of choice with egg, cereal, o.j, buns etc. The last night of our stay we had dinner in the restaurant, this was a real surprise. The food was quality; the taking of orders was a little slow but nothing too bad . The glass of prosecco was a nice touch when we took our seats and the food was really good. We had 2 starters and 2 mains with house wine and dessert, it was very reasonably priced and when we did order it was quickly delivered. I had the air dried beef which was fantastic, I would highly recommend this, the house wine(white) was poor, the only let down to a fine evening. Overall this is a great little hotel which undervalues itself in its branding as budget minded, Sorrento is an expensive area but if you think that by booking here you are going to get a budget experience then think again , its a steal for what you get, I will definately reccomend il nido to my friends back home.

Room Tip: Book early to get a room downstairs
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank athloneundercover
Dear Guesy,
Thank you so much for selecting our hotel for your recent visit and for writing such a nice review. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and our restaurant. Thank you also for recommending us. I really hope to see you again here next year.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I just returned from 8 nights at Il Nido as a base for travel all along the Amalfi Coast.
EVERYTHING was perfect. The room was comfortable and fine, but best of all follows:
The hotel is in a very convenient location from Sorrento largely because of the shuttle.
The people were consistently wonderful. Thank you to Dino, the manager/Owner, Jacqueline, who does everything to make food service wonderful, and Lello, the driver who gives the first caring impression.

Restaurant is one of the best on the whole trip. Ate there many times. GREAT food.
Wonderful breakfast on a terrace overlooking the water and the mountains. WOW!

If you have found this place. STOP and make a reservation quickly. I hope to return...to Come Back to Sorrento.

Thanks for everything again and again.

Michael S

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view with or without a balcony!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Michaellouie
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Guest,
let me say that your comment prizes us more than 6 stars. Considering that you stayed 8 nights your comment has a great value, as You had the chance to "live" our Hotel.
I shared your review with Dino and Jacqueline. Thank You also for posting pics of the view.
Hoping to see you here again in future.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 26 May 2014

After a whirlwind 14 day group tour with a major tour company my husband and I were eager for some tranquility and a little downtime and the chance to experience the beauty of Italy at our own pace. We received all of this and more when we chose to spend three nights at this sweet little family run hotel. From the moment we walked in the front door we felt welcomed. Despite the fact that we showed up 5 hours early after checking out of our other hotel, Dino, the owner hustled his team together and got our room ready for us in record time and he made certain that we didn't feel bad for showing up early. We were greeted with smiles and staff who were ready to help at any time. We had a superior double seaview room with dinners included each night of our stay and what dinners they were! They were by far the best we had eaten in all of Italy! Dino's brother and mother do all the cooking and they infuse each beautifully presented dish with love and it shows.The portions are huge and the selection wonderfully varied. The young lady who served us was so very warm and friendly and worked SO hard and Dino was always ready to wait tables himself. The staff work together seamlessly and take great pride in their work and their establishment. It is rare to see such a level of loving care put forth in a time when customer service has come to mean so little. This hotel is a real hidden gem with extraordinarily spectacular views of the bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius. Do yourself a favour and stay at this charming little hotel. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank quitemad
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review and I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and our restaurant. I'm sure that your comments will be useful for our future guests, as you wrote so many informations. I already shared your review with Dino and the rest of the staff.
I really hope to host you again here at Hotel Il Nido.
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Il Nido from April 24 to May 4. Happy we made the choice to stay for the 10 nights. Firstly the staff were very accommodating , ready to assist at any time . Dino and staff, you work so hard at your job and it shows. From the cleanliness of your establishment to the delicious food prepared and the fast service of your restaurant,we ate in 8 nights and the dining experience was great ! Our room was very comfortable with a millionaire view of the Bay of Napoli. The shuttle service was a plus and worked very well for us, I enjoyed the 10-15 minutes rides down to Sorrento and back, always seeing something new in the incredible vistas. If Robert and I are in the Sorrento area in the future, Hotel Il Nido would be our choice for accommodations . Thank you for making our vacation a positive experience. Kim & Robert

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Mikbob
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! After 10 days here you can feel like a family's member. I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and our restaurant.
I really hope that you dedice to come back to Sorrento next year, we are already waiting for You.