“Fantastic Home Base ”

Ranked #24 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Vancouver, Canada
“Fantastic Home Base ”
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We just completed a fabulous week touring the Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast area. Staying at the IL NIDO Hotel was the highlight of our week - what a fabulous home-base for our 7 days of touring.
IL NIDO is not in the busy Sorrento hotel zone, but is ideally located perched up the hill in the quiet of the countryside.
Right for our 10 minute shuttle bus pick up the 1st day, the IL NIDO team was totally focused on providing excellent guest experiences.
IL NIDO is not a large, chain hotel, but is a delightful family-owned and operated hotel.
My wife and I have traveled Europe extensively and the breakfast buffet is far better than most, including delicious fresh squeezed orange juice, irresistible warm pastries and various other breakfast delights.
Our dinners on the patio were exceptional. Every evening, the views were breathtaking, our dinners were delicious and the sunsets were extraordinary. The challenge each evening was deciding which direction to take photos (we also took photos of our dinners which were delightfully presented).
To top it off, we were so pleased to utilize the laundry downstairs - which is a rare find in European hotels.
Our room was clean, simple and comfortable which is exactly what we hoped for. Our patio provided a fabulous spot to enjoy our time together and watch the ever-changing views of Sorrento, Mount Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples.
QUESTION:
Will we recommend IL NIDO Hotel to our friends and family ?
Absolutely ! ! In fact, we already have through Facebook, photos and e-mail.
What great value and a delightful find ! !

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TerryLW
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,
What a detailed review! Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review and I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas. A 7 days stay is enough to know all the pro and the contra of an hotel, and your review really prizes us.
I am particularly happy to read the compliments about our staffs and I will be happy to share it with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Altho we got there from different cities, I was there with my friend, MichaelLouie, who posted before me. Let me say, I echo all of his opinions and would also give Dino and all who work with him Six Stars!

I believe you can only imagine what it's like to find a hotel with convenient, on-site parking (not the most important thing for me, but one of the top ten), a shuttle schedule that is wonderful, a staff and owner(s) who are wonderful, caring and knowledgeable, on-site food that is excellent, and views, views, views! Yes, get a room with a view, even if mine wasn't (I still had a view of hills).

Let me start with the owner, Dino. Always working, always making things better, trying to help guests, watching the breakfast setup, smiling, happy, conversational, etc. And then there is Lello and the shuttle schedule. As Michael suggested, he is the first "face" of Il Nido Hotel you see or meet. And what a greeting it is. Helpful, kind, careful driving, on time, what more can I say? As to the schedule mentioned by one person below, there's at least three or four trips to downtown Sorrento in the morning (drop off only) and at least seven or eight full trips (pickup and drop off) from mid-afternoon. I don't know how it gets much better than that except for having more than one driver or bus going all day/all nite. And that wouldn't be practical for a smaller hotel like this is.

Throughout the dining and service staff, there is no fault to be found. The place runs well and it shows---Jacqueline being just one example of outstanding service. I can only echo the quality of food and preparation, be it breakfast or more importantly, dinner. You can search for better food in Sorrento, but for dinner it will not be that easy to find. I ate dinner several times at the beautiful, sunset-views of the bay, dining room at Il Nido Hotel, enjoying several different dishes and was never disappointed. 'Nuff said about that one!

As my title says, you can spend more but this is the kind of place I could only HOPE to have found. And, I did find it, almost by accident-thanks to Trip Advisor. I am one happy traveler who's seen much of Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, etc. because of my stay at the Il Nido Hotel and the excellent people who made the overall experience one to remember.

Go there, you won't be sorry. And, I give a big thank you to all the staff at Il Nido!!!!

Room Tip: If they have one with a view, take it. Mine wasn't but I had hills to look at.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank billbob m
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your 5-stars review! I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas, i am equally pleased that our staff made such a favorable impression, I will pass along your compliments to Dino, Nello and the rest of the staff.
Orlando
Reviewed 16 June 2014

One night stay - Coming from the train station, the taxi was 38 euros (not 25). The owner's grumpy sister receptionist, never greeted us. When we got there early our luggage was placed in the lobby. Then you must go back down the mountain to Sorrento (by bus) because that is where everything is. This took time. To me it was very frustrating. The shuttle is good and runs hourly - but not every hour. We missed it by three minutes coming back at night so we decided to eat in Sorrento rather than the hotel restaurant.
The hydrofoil trip to Capri is very good, but expensive. ($40 each) The view of the bay of Naples is amazing and the breakfast excellent. 2 PCs in lobby were not working. For one night stay, best to stay in Sorrento, for two or more - Il Nido is very good. This was the only Italy property to have laundry facilities for the guests. This was my second stay at this property. The first in 2007 was better - it was for 2 nights. If you're going to Naples from Sorrento, take the hydrofoil (40 minutes). The Circumvescuviana train is stressful, crowded and uncomfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelpartner72
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share you experience and for staying with us. It was a pleasure to see you back after 7 years, so you were aware about the location, and the distance to the city center.
Unfortunately the hydrofoils' price does not belong to us.
We really hope next time you will stay longer, so to enjoy better your holiday.
allen texas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed here Jun 2014. Solid hotel with the best view in Sorrento. From my balcony I could see the entire gulf of Naples, from Sorrento, around to Hurculaneum, Naples and Bacoli - unbelievable at night. Slight distance from the city center, but hotel shuttle in morning and afternoon/evening was a nice benefit - special shout out to Lelo the shuttle driver! Breakfast was outstanding and a welcome treat after other continental offerings in Italy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank edsquared
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing us with your favorable feedback on Trip Advisor. Your fine feedbacks are highly appreciated and we will share your comment with our team, and in particular with Nello.
It's a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay in our property and the view on the bay.
We certainly hope to be able to host you again on your next trip to Sorrento.
rishon le zion
Reviewed 12 June 2014

A very comfortable hotel with a beautiful view of Naples bay. room was nice and breakfast very good. Attitude of the staff was superb. The hotel shuttle was most convenient and our two days stay there was most enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your experience. We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay!. We are equally pleased that our staff made such a favorable impression. Thank you once again for your recommendation and I look forward to hosting you again in future!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have just returned after spending 5 nights at this hotel and had a wonderful stay there. The views across the Bay of Naples from the restaurant and terrace are terrific.
The hotel is well run and the manager and his staff were extremely helpful and go the extra mile to ensure you enjoy yourself. They even drove our friends back to their hotel in the next village after they had dined with us.
The restaurant serves home cooked local food and the price of food and drink is cheaper than in the town. The rooms were clean comfortable and spacious and I would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Sorrento.

Room Tip: The sea view is worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for selecting our hotel for your recent visit and for writing such a nice review. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our hotel and our restaurant. It's always a pleasure for us to help our guests, and we try to do our best day bay day.
We hope to see you many times again in the future.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I spent four nights at Il Nido Hotel in May 2014, and have mixed feelings. On the positive side, the view of the bay, of Sorrento and of Vesuvius is magnificent, especially in early morning and at sunset. The view is from the outside area of the restaurant and some, but not all, of the rooms. The restaurant is excellent, both the breakfast and for dinner. The people staffing the hotel are very nice and helpful. The prices are affordable, a good value. The shuttle van runs about hourly in the morning, from 8 a.m., and from mid-afternoon until late evening. The nonstop trip to central Sorrento runs right on schedule and takes about ten minutes, unless traffic causes delays. On the con side, my room and section of the hotel, while adequate, were very ordinary, even seemed a little worn. Also, several times I found my schedule defined by the van schedule, which did not always fit my needs or preferences.

Room Tip: A nicer room with a balcony and view would likely be worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Larry L
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your experience. Every guest's reviews help us in our efforts to always provide total guest satisfaction. I was glad to read your candid review and to know that uou enjoyed your stay.
We'll be looking forward to seeing again soon!