“Accommodation and Restaurant”

Il Nido Hotel Sorrento
Ranked #24 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Great location, excellent views of Sorrento, Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius. Staff were very helpful and accommodating. Rooms large and comfortable, free WIFI available throughout hotel. Self laundry available which is rarely available in Italian hotels. Free parking, good shuttle bus service to Sorrento which took the hassle out of commuting and parking in Sorrento. Terrace provides a perfect setting for breakfast and dinner with has the most wonderful view. Menu for both breakfast and dinner were equal to the best we have had in Italy. We ate at the restaurant every evening we were in Sorrento. Recommend the veal and grilled vegetables. Dino's brother and mother prepared the food in the restaurant. Would highly recommend this family owned and run hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing HOTEL Il NIdo for your recent stay in Sorrento. I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel. I am equally pleased that our restaurant made such a favorable impression. Once again, thank you very much for taking your time and we are looking forward to host your return in our property again soon.

There are newer reviews for Il Nido Hotel Sorrento

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Il Nido is simply a fantastic place to stay if you are looking to stay in the Sorrento area. We chose it because of the price and the views, and the free shuttle to Sorrento. We stayed for four nights, and I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. Our room (105) was clean and beautiful--we paid extra when we reserved online for a room with a view, and it was worth every penny. The room had a balcony with a table and two chairs, and overlooked the bay of Naples and Vesuvius. *Warning* This area is very hazy in the summer due to the heat/humidity, so we didn't quite get the crystal clear views we were hoping for, but it was still beautiful nonetheless.
Room 105 has two twin beds that can combine for a king, which is what it was for us. I didn't even notice it wasn't one bed. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom has a tub with a shower. The room has AC, a small tv, a mini bar, a safe, and a hairdryer. We slept with the doors to the balcony open one night, but the birds were pretty loud in the morning, so we kept it closed for our last three nights.
The food at Il Nido is really good. We had breakfast there every morning--a nice spread of meats, cheese, bread, LOTS of pastries, potatoes, eggs, fruits, coffee, and fresh-squeezed orange juice (you put the oranges in the machine yourself! It was very good!). We had dinner there two nights, and the food was good. We were in Italy for ten nights, and my husband says his best dinner was the shrimp and zucchini pasta with cream sauce that he got at Il Nido.
The owner is really nice, and speaks very good English. When we checked in, he showed us a schedule of tours that he could set up for us. We took him up on the Capri boat tour, and it was a great tour--much better than going at it on our own. He also gave us a schedule for the Circumvesuviana train, and for the Sita buses that run the Amalfi Coast. He also gave us a map of Sorrento with the pick-up/drop-off schedule for the hotel's free shuttle. The free shuttle is great and really reliable. It runs on time, is very clean, and the driver is very nice. It takes about 15 minutes to go between Sorrento and Il Nido.
I cannot recommend Il Nido enough--if I am ever in the Sorrento area again, I will stay at Il Nido and won't even bother looking anywhere else.
Some other tips/things we did in the area: We took the Currei bus from the Naples airport to get to Sorrento, and it was super cheap (10 euros/person), a nice coach bus with AC, and took about an hour to get to the Sorrento train station. The bus was just hanging out in front of the departures section of the Naples airport, and we bought tickets from the driver when we got there. From Il Nido, we did a day trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius, a day trip to Capri through the tour the hotel set up for us, and a day trip to Amalfi and Positano using the Sita buses and ferries. I highly recommend the Rick Steve's guide to Italy book--it has a great walking tour of Pompeii that we used instead of paying for a tour guide or an audio tour. The Circumvesuviana train system is pretty easy to navigate, and stops at Pompeii. It takes about 30-40 minutes to get to Pompeii from Sorrento on the train. From Pompeii, we hopped a bus from a company near the station to Vesuvius and did the summit hike, which is totally worth it. From Sorrento, we took the Sita Sud bus to Positano--get to the train station (also bus station) SUPER early if you want a seat. We actually ended up being the last people on the bus and sat/stood in the stairwell and ended up with the best views, so it was actually really cool. If you're standing in the middle of the bus, you won't see anything, and they do cram as many humans onto that bus as will possibly fit. I wouldn't bother waiting at a stop that isn't the main train/bus station--they are around, but our bus was so crowded that the driver didn't stop at any other stops.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 105 and had a fantastic view! All the rooms on that side of the building face the...
1  Thank kusc0018

Dear Guest,
What a detailed review! Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review and I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas. We are sure that your "quick guide" will be useful for the community.
We are already waiting for your next stay here!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have just returned from a weeks holiday staying at il Nido. There are not many hotels I would return to In Europe but this is a definite . Although the address is Sorrento the hotel is 4 km the far side of the town. It is in an area called Priora..this made finding the hotel somewhat frustrating.we had a hired a car but our Sat Nav from home failed us as we left Rome Airport.
However we were not disappointed when we finally arrived. The hotel receptionist was very welcoming and friendly as we're all the staff during our stay. Dino the manager was a delight, helping us to perfect our Italian pronunciations with great patience , hid brother and sister also assist with running the family business .
The hotel was celebrating its 50 th birthday, therefore this is not an upmarket hotel with a swimming pool. The rooms are spotless, the linen and towels immaculately laundered and the rooms are doubled glazed and have air con. We chose a room with a view of the bay of Naples..it was stunning, we could see Vesuvius and could catch a glimps of Capri too.
The dinning room had double doors that opened on to a terrace were breakfast and dinner were served if desired. We ate dinner at Il Nido several evenings as the food was home made , delicious and had a very varied menu. The house wine was excellent too.
All in all a fantastic hotel which certainly made the holiday extra wonderful.

Room Tip: The only downside to our first floor room which was one level down was the noise above from chairs s...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing HOTEL Il NIdo for your recent stay in Sorrento. I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel. I appreciate your comments about our spotlessly clean and our excellent view on the bay.
We certainly hope to be able to host you again on your next trip to Sorrento.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Thanks trip advisor friends! We stayed at this hotel based on the positive reviews and they were spot on. We loved our stay here and appreciated so much the extra effort on the behalf of guests. The shuttle is wonderful and we managed easily without a car. We found some tours in the brochures that we wanted to take and they were arranged for us. The restaurant was awesome, with a beautiful view and wonderful food. We ate every evening meal there. We stayed four nights and were sad to leave!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
ilnidosorrento, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Il Nido Hotel Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community! Your comments will be useful for all the tripadvisor's members. Please don't be sad, just think we are already waiting for you next year!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

One of the best things about the Il Nido is that not only do you get a view to die for across the Bay of Naples, but you can enjoy excellent food while taking in this delight. From its restaurant, it's outdoor terrace (wonderful on a warm evening!), and many of its bedrooms you get views across the Bay towards Vesuvius and Ischia, beautiful both during the day and at night, and if you're lucky you will see some spectacular sunsets as well.
The staff are both friendly and helpful, and like just about everyone else in Sorrento it seems, speak good English. They will recommend tours if that is what you want, and appreciate feedback on these so that they can keep up to date with which ones guests find are the best.
The hotel is situated above Sorrento, about 5km from the town, but provides a free and frequent shuttle service to and fro. There is also a Sita bus stop right outside that will take you to popular destinations such as Amalfi and Positano, as well as into Sorrento.
For a reasonably priced hotel you couldn't ask for better.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view if possible, but if not possible, don't worry - you can enjoy the same fa...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at our hotel and for sharing your experience. I was delighted to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel .I am equally pleased that our staff made such a favorable impression.
As always, we'll continue to provide the very best of service and look forward to renewing your faith with your next stay with us!

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We just completed a fabulous week touring the Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast area. Staying at the IL NIDO Hotel was the highlight of our week - what a fabulous home-base for our 7 days of touring.
IL NIDO is not in the busy Sorrento hotel zone, but is ideally located perched up the hill in the quiet of the countryside.
Right for our 10 minute shuttle bus pick up the 1st day, the IL NIDO team was totally focused on providing excellent guest experiences.
IL NIDO is not a large, chain hotel, but is a delightful family-owned and operated hotel.
My wife and I have traveled Europe extensively and the breakfast buffet is far better than most, including delicious fresh squeezed orange juice, irresistible warm pastries and various other breakfast delights.
Our dinners on the patio were exceptional. Every evening, the views were breathtaking, our dinners were delicious and the sunsets were extraordinary. The challenge each evening was deciding which direction to take photos (we also took photos of our dinners which were delightfully presented).
To top it off, we were so pleased to utilize the laundry downstairs - which is a rare find in European hotels.
Our room was clean, simple and comfortable which is exactly what we hoped for. Our patio provided a fabulous spot to enjoy our time together and watch the ever-changing views of Sorrento, Mount Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples.
QUESTION:
Will we recommend IL NIDO Hotel to our friends and family ?
Absolutely ! ! In fact, we already have through Facebook, photos and e-mail.
What great value and a delightful find ! !

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TerryLW

Dear Guest,
What a detailed review! Thank you so much for writing such a detailed review and I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas. A 7 days stay is enough to know all the pro and the contra of an hotel, and your review really prizes us.
I am particularly happy to read the compliments about our staffs and I will be happy to share it with my team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Altho we got there from different cities, I was there with my friend, MichaelLouie, who posted before me. Let me say, I echo all of his opinions and would also give Dino and all who work with him Six Stars!

I believe you can only imagine what it's like to find a hotel with convenient, on-site parking (not the most important thing for me, but one of the top ten), a shuttle schedule that is wonderful, a staff and owner(s) who are wonderful, caring and knowledgeable, on-site food that is excellent, and views, views, views! Yes, get a room with a view, even if mine wasn't (I still had a view of hills).

Let me start with the owner, Dino. Always working, always making things better, trying to help guests, watching the breakfast setup, smiling, happy, conversational, etc. And then there is Lello and the shuttle schedule. As Michael suggested, he is the first "face" of Il Nido Hotel you see or meet. And what a greeting it is. Helpful, kind, careful driving, on time, what more can I say? As to the schedule mentioned by one person below, there's at least three or four trips to downtown Sorrento in the morning (drop off only) and at least seven or eight full trips (pickup and drop off) from mid-afternoon. I don't know how it gets much better than that except for having more than one driver or bus going all day/all nite. And that wouldn't be practical for a smaller hotel like this is.

Throughout the dining and service staff, there is no fault to be found. The place runs well and it shows---Jacqueline being just one example of outstanding service. I can only echo the quality of food and preparation, be it breakfast or more importantly, dinner. You can search for better food in Sorrento, but for dinner it will not be that easy to find. I ate dinner several times at the beautiful, sunset-views of the bay, dining room at Il Nido Hotel, enjoying several different dishes and was never disappointed. 'Nuff said about that one!

As my title says, you can spend more but this is the kind of place I could only HOPE to have found. And, I did find it, almost by accident-thanks to Trip Advisor. I am one happy traveler who's seen much of Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, etc. because of my stay at the Il Nido Hotel and the excellent people who made the overall experience one to remember.

Go there, you won't be sorry. And, I give a big thank you to all the staff at Il Nido!!!!

Room Tip: If they have one with a view, take it. Mine wasn't but I had hills to look at.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank billbob m

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your 5-stars review! I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding areas, i am equally pleased that our staff made such a favorable impression, I will pass along your compliments to Dino, Nello and the rest of the staff.
Thank you once again for your recommendation and I look forward to hosting you again in future!