“Fantastic!”

Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Saskatchewan, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at the Il Nido for four nights while exploring the Amalfi coast. The rooms were fantastic, clean with an excellent view. It is about a 10 minute drive outside of Sorrento itself, but they have a fairly regular shuttle service in to town and they pick you up when you arrive. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel. We did not use the bus to get into Sorrento, only the shuttle, but it was perfectly located for day trips to Amalfi and surrounding towns. Breakfast was decent, the highlight was definitely fresh squeezed orange juice. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was also pretty good. I would definitely recommend and stay again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tmr11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Geneva
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I stayed at the Il Nido five nights in August, with my wife, son and daughter. For 150 euros per night, we got two perfect double-rooms with breakfast (excellent!), parking, wireless internet and shuttle service included. All this with a wonderful view of the Vesuvio and a staff always helpful and courteous. Probably one of the best bargains in Europe!

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Abbotsford, British Columbia
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Il Nido for four nights, from August 2 - 6th. What a wonderful stay we had! This hotel is just as good as everyone says, and is the best value on the Amalfi coast! The rooms are big bright and exceptionally clean. The view rooms are very reasonable and the view is stunning. The rooms have a mini fridge/bar stocked with beer, pop, water etc for the most reasonable price I have seen. 1 euro for water, 2 euro for beer. After a long hot day of sightseeing it was always nice to come back, sit on your patio, and have a cold beer.
The owners are wonderful, friendly and always ready to answer any question you might have. The breakfast is amazing with fresh squeezed OJ , meats, eggs, yogurt, fruit toast and the most amazing pastries!! They even had cold fresh figs!
The Restaurant was very good! I had the Caprese salad every night and could not get enough of it!! We tried many of the pasta dishes and the house wines, both red and white.
The shuttle bus was a blessing as you would not want to drive on the streets in the hills of Sorrento!
I can't say enough about this hotel. Book your stay here and become one of the many fans of this Sorrento Gem!!!

Toronto
Reviewed 17 August 2009

This place is fantastic…. We stayed at Il Nido from Aug 6th till the 11th. We originally had only 3 nights booked but requested 2 more nights because we enjoyed this hotel so much. Dino the owner of this establishment who you will find at the front desk was very helpful and extended our stay with no problems. This is a family run hotel and the personal touch that is offered by everyone who works there makes you feel like your home away from home.

We traveled in Italy for 10 days and we never ate at one restaurant that was as good as IL Nido. The prices are fair and the quality is amazing.

When I did my research on this hotel back in July I didn’t believe that everyone had this great of an experience. Boy!!! I was wrong. It is everything and more that these review state.

Some things to comment on….

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The view from the balcony is romantic in the evening and beautiful in the morning as you stare over the lemon trees and olive trees that surrounds the hotel.

The restaurant was amazing. We ate there almost every night since we were tired of spending ridiculous amounts of money at other restaurants and getting poor quality food. After dinner we always headed out to the city center for gelato and stroll.

The free shuttle service is very help full. We had our own vehicle but still used the hotels shuttle so that we wouldn’t have to search for parking in the city. Word of advice.. Set your watch five minutes ahead so that you don’t miss the shuttle at the pick up points. They are always on time and if there are late it’s only because of the traffic.

When I return to Italy I will definitely book at IL Nido and would recommend this hotel in a heartbeat.

Dino Thank you for making our honeymoon in Italy and especially our stay in Sorrento magnificent.

Paul and Holly

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me with Trip Advisor.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2009

This hotel was a real treat for us. We drove down from Rome in a rented car and after finding our way (GPS is a must in my mind) thru all of the winding roads and crazy driving (from what we are used to) we parked the car on the roof of the hotel and there it stayed for the duration of our stay (which was short - 2 nites). We got around by bus and shuttle. The staff helped us get a bus ticket so we could take the spectacular ride to Amalfi. We also took the free shuttle down to the port to take the ferry to Isle Capri.

We found the staff to be very friendly and the food was amazing and not expensive. The view from the restaurant is SO beautiful. We had dinner as the sun set and took lots and lots of photos.

We got a room with a partial view and we could walk out onto a small patio with 2 chairs and a table to relax at nite.

The room was simple but clean. The double bed was 2 twins pushed together which is what we had in Rome as well. The bathroom was actually large for a room this size. There was a 32 or 40 inch flat screen TV and a small safe.

All in all, we loved staying here and will be back if we find ourselves returning to Sorrento in the future.

Reading
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I spent 4 nights at Il Nido in June with my mum for her birthday. I had been planning it for months and wanted it to be perfect so I emailed the hotel to try and find availabe dates. I changed my mind on several occasions and emailed constantly for days trying to get it all sorted. Gianni was fantastic, emailing back promptly and helping to arrange everything. We were off to a good start!
We arrived in Sorrento a bit early for the free shuttle bus so we got a taxi to the hotel. The hotel is out of the centre, however the bus makes this no problem (it’s about a 8 minute journey) and we ended up preferring it. Its away from the noise and the views from the balcony’s are stunning as it is situated high on the hillside. Our room was lovely, spacious and clean with a mini-bar and the breakfast was very good indeed, the custard filled pastries are particularly recommended.
It is however the staff that makes this hotel so wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble. On our first day we left to get the bus and Gianni came running out after us. He had guessed we were heading to the Amalfi coast and hadn't seen us get tickets. You can't buy them on board and we would have had to go all the way back if we had tried to get on. Gianni supplied us with tickets and told us to pay later as there was a bus due. On our last day we had to be at the bus station for 6am. When I asked Gianni about booking a taxi he wouldn't hear of it, he would take us himself. When he dropped us off I tried to give him some money and he wouldn't hear of it. 'If I wanted money I would have sent my driver'! I truly wonderful experience, I would return in a heartbeat.
On a wider note, anyone doing the bus trip along the amalfi coast don't miss Ravello. Its less touristy than Amalfi and Positano and is so beautiful. The Villa Cimbrone is a must; I'm planning to get married on its balcony overlooking the sea!

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank B3thany
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at Il Nido the end of June for 6 nights. We chose Sorrento as our base for day trips due to the central location and easy access to transportation. I researched for months, reading hundreds of reviews, but I kept coming back to Il Nido based on the combination of the price and great reviews. I had pretty high expectations and they were all exceeded during our stay.

We had an amazing experience at Il Nido!

We took an overnight flight into Rome, arriving at 9am. After multiple trains, we arrived at Il Nido around 3:30pm. Check-in was simple. Dino gave us a map and transportation details. We were blown away by the views from our room! I had looked at all of the pictures, but it just isn't the same as being there in person. Wow!

I had read that the hotel restaurant was really good, so we decided to just eat at the hotel the first evening (after a nap!). The food was amazing and the views were incredible! We ended up eating there 5/6 nights! Everything was so delicious and fresh with beautiful presentation, and very reasonable priced! As we were doing some shopping in town, several different store owners asked us where we were staying. When we said Il Nido, each one said that when they wanted good food, that's where they would go. They all said it was the best restaurant in the area! After we heard that, and based on our own experience, we didn't want to try anywhere else, and I doubt that any other restaurant would have the views that we had!

As so many have already mentioned, the place is spotless, the breakfast was good and plentiful, the shuttle service was reliable, the staff was helpful and friendly, and there was free internet (2 computers in the lobby). We didn't use the laundry facility, but that is also available. One thing that is very important to me is a good shower. I'm very picky about that because I like hot water and good water pressure--that was never a problem. Great water pressure and plenty of HOT water!

Each day we explored a new area. We took the train to Pompeii, ferry to Amalfi, bus to Positano and ferry to Capri. We were gone most of the day, but couldn't wait to get back to Il Nido to spend the evenings. We loved being away from town, and couldn't wait to watch the sunset as we ate our amazing meals! It was really perfect for what we wanted!

One evening we wanted to watch a soccer game (The US was in the finals of the Confederation Cup), and asked if they could turn it on in the bar area on their big TV. That was such a fun evening! They moved a bigger table in for us (we didn't even ask) so we could eat dinner while we watched the game. The shuttle driver, and several other people (not sure if they were family members, but we saw them quite a bit) also came in to watch the game, and we felt like we were watching at a friend's house.

The people at Il Nido definitely made our experience so much more memorable and enjoyable. Dino was there all of the time. We actually asked him if he ever slept. We would chat with our kids online in the lobby until midnight, Dino was there. We were up early for breakfast, Dino was there. We met the people in the room next to us and they told us that they didn't check-in until 2am because they were driving and got lost. Dino was there waiting for them. He was so helpful and kind. He answered every question we had and helped us with the transportation to all of the places we visited. Maria was also wonderful! She waited on us in the restaurant each evening. The shuttle driving was also very pleasant, and he always had a smile.

I could just go on and on...

So, to sum it up, when we go back to Sorrento, I will check to make sure there is availability at Il Nido before I book our flights. I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple