“A gem of a hotel....simply brilliant (this is a long, detailed review)”

Il Nido Hotel Sorrento
Ranked #23 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I'm a 22 y/o female student from the US (NY/CT) and recently ventured to Italy with my boyfriend. Be warned, this is a detailed review that some people may want to know. I know, personally, that I wish I had a detailed account/review of travelers' stay. Skip downwards for cliffnotes.

Il Nido is by far the best hotel I have ever been to. It is located in a hotel-centered area where the whole road consists of highly ranked hotels so you don't feel like you are in some sort of desolated area even though it is 10 minutes away from downtown Sorrento. It's a 3 star hotel but the treatment you get there surpasses it's rankings. Inside is clean, chic, and simple.

We had arrived at the train station in Sorrento and called to the hotel to see if they can pick us up. A shuttle came and picked us up 20 minutes later (not a big deal since a. we called them last minute,and b. it already takes 10 minutes to get to the train station). The driver is this cute, old Italian man who is bright and friendly as can be and the shuttle is very nice and clean. The shuttle is included and runs on an hourly schedule from Il Nido to downtown Sorrento and back. Leaves from Il Nido every 20th on the hour starting at 8:20am i.e. 8:20, 9:20, etc. and returns to Il Nido from Sorrento every 30th on the hour with the last shuttle ride at 11:30pm.

We checked in and were given this brilliant sheet of paper with a basic map of Sorrento on the front and train schedules to Pompeii, Naples, etc; bus schedules to Amalfi, Positano, and Sorrento; ferry schedules from Sorrento to Capri and vice versa with fares listed as well. The bus stop to go to Positano/ Amalfi/Sorrento is literally across the street from the hotel and the hotel sells you a 24 hour unlimited bus pass to these towns for 6 euros (Positano is 40 minutes away and Amalfi is an additional 20-30 minutes from Positano) Beware though, the bus SITA will be a horrible ride with it being over crowded and crazy driving on narrow roads.

The hotel has, I believe, 4 floors, one of which had a laundry room. On the first night, we were on the main floor and stayed in a very nice room. We asked for a double/queen and we did receive it but in the form of 2 twin beds pushed together. The bathroom was great and the shower stall was small. Now you can't and go and compare it to rooms in the US or elsewhere where you have your typical bathtub/stall and an actual queen sized bed. This is Italy. Everything is smaller in portion from food to hotels so you simply cannot compare wherever you stay here to that of an American hotel. I personally adored the room however, we did get upgraded and stayed in a MUCH larger room with an actual bathtub, a balcony, a double AND a twin size bed in the room and a door separating the bedroom from the "atrium" where the bathroom and main door were located.

I can't even begin to talk about the incredible continental buffet. This exceeded everything I have experienced. It wasn't your typical Entermanns/grocery store donuts on a plate with bland coffee and mini cereal boxes and tart orange juice from a carton. We're talking about fresh orange juice everyday where they had a basket of oranges and a juicer next to it. You toss in 3 oranges, hit start, stick your glass under the machine and voila, fresh OJ and THE best Oj I've ever had. A selection of salami and deli meats, bread, milk and cereal, pastries that included fresh, delicious sugared donuts, strudels and croissants. Espresso machine and yogurt and granola. Il Nido has a restaurant as well so you can eat in there our outside on the balcony, which we did every morning. The view is SPECTACULAR, overlooking the ocean, houses, and the mountainous landscape. It's simply a perfect and beautiful moment. You will be awe-struck, I promise.

We've eaten all around from Rome, Florence, Siena, Sorrento, & Amalfi and we have to say, along with other people, that this is the best food we've ever had. The service is incredible there...I'm just mad/sad that I wasted my time and money at this restaurant in Sorrento and only ate at Il Nido on the last night (it was called Old Taverna Sorrentina....HORRIBLE despite it being ranked #4 on TripAdvisor). Anyways, they first serve you champagne (complimentary) then brushetta. I ordered the bowtie, smoke-salmon pasta (8 euros) and my boyfriend ordered the seafood pasta (11 euros). The food was amazing, simply amazing. His dish consisted of fresh, homemade pasta with literally (and we counted) 23 mussels on top among other seafood items. Granted, once you remove everything and discard the shells, it doesn't look "a lot" as you may have imagined but it does fill you up and is delicious. We ordered a liter of water and half a liter of OJ (we were craving it because it's that good!), each being 2 euros a piece. We ended with gelati (according to the menu, it's not made on the premise but instead, ordered from a company so if you're looking for authentic dessert, do not look to here for it). No cover charge or service fee. Our check came out to be 27 euros for all of that (we paid 24.5 euros the night before and only got 2 dishes and 1 drink...). Plus, you would be eating on the balcony, overlooking the city and landscape with no noise or distraction but instead greeted with excellent service and a warm ambiance.

Here's the cliffnotes of what most readers want to know that I wanted to know but didn't get from other reviews:

-wifi in room/hotel, free
-laundrymat
-A/C
-shuttle service
-flat screen TV
-mini fridge (has things in it but you can remove them as these fridges have no sensor that will charge to your account if you take anything out so you can stock whatever in there so long as you put the hotel's food/beverages back in after your stay)
-hot/cold water continuously except for peak hours of early morning and evening, around 7pm where everyone is using the shower hence, using all of the hot water source, as expected.
-hair dryer
-no iron
- 2 computers in hotel lobby, free
-lots of American tourists
-mix of backpackers/jetsetters/young crowd/older crowd/couples/singles/families
-restaurant
-continental breakfast
-secure/safe
-transportation to and from hotel and bus accessible
-English speaking concierge/staff (not so much the shuttle driver)
-have converters for outlets (must ask the front desk for one, free of charge)
-clean, bright room WITH towels (unlike most)
-basic toiletries such as bar soap, plastic cups, & toilet paper. No shampoo/conditioner/body soap/lotion/toothpaste/toothbrush/tissue box

All in all, an AMAZING stay here. Best experience in Italy so far. Sure, the room isn't as fancy as the rooms I've stayed at in the Hyatt and Hilton but it's really nice in that charming, simple, Italian way. You will love it here, I promise. I will def. return back to Il Nido if I ever return to Italy.

5  Thank AslanK

Reviewed 30 August 2009

Following reading past reviews we booked a week in Il Nido and have just got back. We were lucky to get a late booking and as a result did not manage to get one of the rooms with the panoramic view (but we knew this at the time of booking) but were luckier than one couple who's view consisted of a corridor. The reception area and room were absolutely spotless. However, to access our room we had to walk down a corridor which had peeling paint and wallpaper over a badly stained carpet. But this was the only negative part of our stay. The staff were helpful, the food excellent and the minibus shuttle service invaluable. All in all a very good experience.

Reviewed 29 August 2009

I just arrived home from a 14 day stay at Il Nido. There are so many hotels in Sorrento
that it is hard to choose. My friends had stayed there a couple of years ago and told
me it was a must. The minute I walked in I felt like I was at home and that is very
important when traveling alone. My room was perfect, spotless and everyday the
housekeeping staff made sure that it stayed that way. The views are amazing, when
you are having your breakfast in the morning it's hard to leave. The home cooked
dinners at the restaurant are so good , you could go there every night and never have
the same meal twice. I found the shuttle service great, I traveled every day to different
areas and it was nice to know that the bus would be there to take you home. The
city bus is also right there so transportation is never a problem. The entire staff at
Il Nido make you feel like you are their only customer, they are fabulous, you get high
end treatment and very reasonable prices. I will be making many more trips to Italy
and I hope that I can include Il Nido in all my travel plans.

Lisa Calabrese Campione

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We have spent 11 days in Il Nido beginning August 2009, and those were brilliants holiday. The hotel is very well situated, on Sorrento’s heights, allowing not only a breathtaking view but also air and calm as you would not in city. Thanks to the shuttle (and its nice driver) going to Sorrento was never a problem and you can easily reach the different interest points, archaeological sites, beaches or islands. For the Amalfitan coast it is as easy as bus stops a few meters away from the hotel. Getting back to the hotel is as simple with a meeting point downtown, near the park and playground, valuable option for parents of young kids ;-)
The bedroom was spacious, well fitted with a convenient minibar where you can store some of your own stuff. A good size balcony equipped with table and chairs allow you to fully enjoy the amazing view.
We had gone for half boarding and we never regret it. The breakfast buffet has anything needed and the fresh orange juice is actually the best memory of our two years old son! In the evening, the restaurant menu allowed large choice local and perfectly executed dishes: pastas, fishes, meat, sweets. All this on the restaurant terrace enjoy the sunset on Capri!
As facilities, the hotel also offers some internet access (so convenient to reserve some Pompeii visits) and a laundry.
And the best to conclude: the hotel staff! Charming, efficient, friendly but without being intrusive, always available to help, advice and ensure our (or our baby) stay was the best possible. Each day after long visits, when returning the hotel we really had the wonderful feeling to get home. Thank you Gianni for all !

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Loved-those-holidays
Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at the Il Nido for four nights while exploring the Amalfi coast. The rooms were fantastic, clean with an excellent view. It is about a 10 minute drive outside of Sorrento itself, but they have a fairly regular shuttle service in to town and they pick you up when you arrive. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel. We did not use the bus to get into Sorrento, only the shuttle, but it was perfectly located for day trips to Amalfi and surrounding towns. Breakfast was decent, the highlight was definitely fresh squeezed orange juice. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was also pretty good. I would definitely recommend and stay again!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank tmr11
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I stayed at the Il Nido five nights in August, with my wife, son and daughter. For 150 euros per night, we got two perfect double-rooms with breakfast (excellent!), parking, wireless internet and shuttle service included. All this with a wonderful view of the Vesuvio and a staff always helpful and courteous. Probably one of the best bargains in Europe!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Il Nido for four nights, from August 2 - 6th. What a wonderful stay we had! This hotel is just as good as everyone says, and is the best value on the Amalfi coast! The rooms are big bright and exceptionally clean. The view rooms are very reasonable and the view is stunning. The rooms have a mini fridge/bar stocked with beer, pop, water etc for the most reasonable price I have seen. 1 euro for water, 2 euro for beer. After a long hot day of sightseeing it was always nice to come back, sit on your patio, and have a cold beer.
The owners are wonderful, friendly and always ready to answer any question you might have. The breakfast is amazing with fresh squeezed OJ , meats, eggs, yogurt, fruit toast and the most amazing pastries!! They even had cold fresh figs!
The Restaurant was very good! I had the Caprese salad every night and could not get enough of it!! We tried many of the pasta dishes and the house wines, both red and white.
The shuttle bus was a blessing as you would not want to drive on the streets in the hills of Sorrento!
I can't say enough about this hotel. Book your stay here and become one of the many fans of this Sorrento Gem!!!