“Wonderful Il Nido”

Ranked #22 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
St. Catharines
“Wonderful Il Nido”
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Our family of four, plus five month old baby stayed at Il Nido for eight nights in August/September, 2009. The hotel had been recommended by a friend. It exceeded all our expectations. It is a family run hotel, where no detail is overlooked. Our room had a balcony with beautiful view and a spacious bathroom.
The buffet breakfast offers everything anyone could possibly want, and our family especially enjoyed the fresh squeezed orange juice and the wonderful coffee. We dined in the hotel five nights of our stay and found the food, service and value was far superior to restaurants we tried downtown. In addition, the view from the terrace is so wonderful, we never wanted to leave.
The free shuttle to and from downtown was convenient and we were picked up and dropped off at the train station, a wonderful service, which we truly appreciated with all our luggage and baby stroller.
Dino was so helpful and met our every request with a smile.
We appreciated having laundry facilities on site and also the washing lines where we could also hang items to dry overnight.
We hope to return to Sorrento and this beautiful hotel one day in the not too distant future.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank JPG_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Ukraine
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Oh, has just read the recent reveiws of Il Nido guests - and of course it causes a smile, - a smile of pleasure and complete confirmation of all the super positive opinions :).
We ( me - Ukraine and my friend - UK) stayed for 7 nights in Il Nido. And nothing ever caused our single regret .
We booked the hotel based on the stories told by hotel guest. And all turned to be even better than expected.
I do not tell the details - there are a lot of them told befor me.
Just to say to the Il Nido people - keep it up! You do a great job!!!

Il Nido - highly recommended :)

• Stayed September 2009
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We spent a fantastic week in August in Il Nido. First of all the location – 10 min. ride from the center of Sorrento, so very quiet and peaceful. On the other hand the hotel provides spectacular view on Sorrento, Vesuvius and the sea.
Our room no. 106 was very spacious and well equipped (air conditioning, flat TV, safe box, a fridge). We had a small terrace with two chairs and a table. And again a magnificent view.
Breakfast was served in the hotel restaurant till 9.30 am. The buffet was very generous together with freshly squeezed orange juice (you can prepare it by yourself). In the evening the restaurant turned into a romantic spot serving delicious Italian cuisine, in particular fresh fish.
The hotel provides free parking space and a free shuttle bus to the center of Sorrento and back till 11.30 pm. The whole building is covered by free Wi-Fi and there are two computers with Internet access in the lobby for free usage. The service was discrete, professional and very helpful. We had our room made every day.
Baring in mind the price we paid, Il Nido is a real bargain. We can recommend it to every budget-minded tourist. And we hope we come back to Il Nido someday.

1 Thank PawelL
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 3 September 2009

I registered just now with TripAdvisor for the sole reason that i wanted to write a review on Il Nido because it was simply great. My boyfriend and I ( 24y and 22y) stayed there for 6 nights. The review previous details exactly what I was going to say. From the fresh squeezed orange juice to the unbelievable views. I picked Il Nido based on good reviews I'd read but the reality exceeds even them.

Staff very friendly and helpful, room was lovely with balcony and view (well worth the extra cost), internet service great, fridge was a godsend, laundry service! Only downfall - which was nothing really- was the single beds pushed together. Wide variety of people staying there and it caters for all, you'll even find fellow guests are v friendly!!

Connecticut
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I'm a 22 y/o female student from the US (NY/CT) and recently ventured to Italy with my boyfriend. Be warned, this is a detailed review that some people may want to know. I know, personally, that I wish I had a detailed account/review of travelers' stay. Skip downwards for cliffnotes.

Il Nido is by far the best hotel I have ever been to. It is located in a hotel-centered area where the whole road consists of highly ranked hotels so you don't feel like you are in some sort of desolated area even though it is 10 minutes away from downtown Sorrento. It's a 3 star hotel but the treatment you get there surpasses it's rankings. Inside is clean, chic, and simple.

We had arrived at the train station in Sorrento and called to the hotel to see if they can pick us up. A shuttle came and picked us up 20 minutes later (not a big deal since a. we called them last minute,and b. it already takes 10 minutes to get to the train station). The driver is this cute, old Italian man who is bright and friendly as can be and the shuttle is very nice and clean. The shuttle is included and runs on an hourly schedule from Il Nido to downtown Sorrento and back. Leaves from Il Nido every 20th on the hour starting at 8:20am i.e. 8:20, 9:20, etc. and returns to Il Nido from Sorrento every 30th on the hour with the last shuttle ride at 11:30pm.

We checked in and were given this brilliant sheet of paper with a basic map of Sorrento on the front and train schedules to Pompeii, Naples, etc; bus schedules to Amalfi, Positano, and Sorrento; ferry schedules from Sorrento to Capri and vice versa with fares listed as well. The bus stop to go to Positano/ Amalfi/Sorrento is literally across the street from the hotel and the hotel sells you a 24 hour unlimited bus pass to these towns for 6 euros (Positano is 40 minutes away and Amalfi is an additional 20-30 minutes from Positano) Beware though, the bus SITA will be a horrible ride with it being over crowded and crazy driving on narrow roads.

The hotel has, I believe, 4 floors, one of which had a laundry room. On the first night, we were on the main floor and stayed in a very nice room. We asked for a double/queen and we did receive it but in the form of 2 twin beds pushed together. The bathroom was great and the shower stall was small. Now you can't and go and compare it to rooms in the US or elsewhere where you have your typical bathtub/stall and an actual queen sized bed. This is Italy. Everything is smaller in portion from food to hotels so you simply cannot compare wherever you stay here to that of an American hotel. I personally adored the room however, we did get upgraded and stayed in a MUCH larger room with an actual bathtub, a balcony, a double AND a twin size bed in the room and a door separating the bedroom from the "atrium" where the bathroom and main door were located.

I can't even begin to talk about the incredible continental buffet. This exceeded everything I have experienced. It wasn't your typical Entermanns/grocery store donuts on a plate with bland coffee and mini cereal boxes and tart orange juice from a carton. We're talking about fresh orange juice everyday where they had a basket of oranges and a juicer next to it. You toss in 3 oranges, hit start, stick your glass under the machine and voila, fresh OJ and THE best Oj I've ever had. A selection of salami and deli meats, bread, milk and cereal, pastries that included fresh, delicious sugared donuts, strudels and croissants. Espresso machine and yogurt and granola. Il Nido has a restaurant as well so you can eat in there our outside on the balcony, which we did every morning. The view is SPECTACULAR, overlooking the ocean, houses, and the mountainous landscape. It's simply a perfect and beautiful moment. You will be awe-struck, I promise.

We've eaten all around from Rome, Florence, Siena, Sorrento, & Amalfi and we have to say, along with other people, that this is the best food we've ever had. The service is incredible there...I'm just mad/sad that I wasted my time and money at this restaurant in Sorrento and only ate at Il Nido on the last night (it was called Old Taverna Sorrentina....HORRIBLE despite it being ranked #4 on TripAdvisor). Anyways, they first serve you champagne (complimentary) then brushetta. I ordered the bowtie, smoke-salmon pasta (8 euros) and my boyfriend ordered the seafood pasta (11 euros). The food was amazing, simply amazing. His dish consisted of fresh, homemade pasta with literally (and we counted) 23 mussels on top among other seafood items. Granted, once you remove everything and discard the shells, it doesn't look "a lot" as you may have imagined but it does fill you up and is delicious. We ordered a liter of water and half a liter of OJ (we were craving it because it's that good!), each being 2 euros a piece. We ended with gelati (according to the menu, it's not made on the premise but instead, ordered from a company so if you're looking for authentic dessert, do not look to here for it). No cover charge or service fee. Our check came out to be 27 euros for all of that (we paid 24.5 euros the night before and only got 2 dishes and 1 drink...). Plus, you would be eating on the balcony, overlooking the city and landscape with no noise or distraction but instead greeted with excellent service and a warm ambiance.

Here's the cliffnotes of what most readers want to know that I wanted to know but didn't get from other reviews:

-wifi in room/hotel, free
-laundrymat
-A/C
-shuttle service
-flat screen TV
-mini fridge (has things in it but you can remove them as these fridges have no sensor that will charge to your account if you take anything out so you can stock whatever in there so long as you put the hotel's food/beverages back in after your stay)
-hot/cold water continuously except for peak hours of early morning and evening, around 7pm where everyone is using the shower hence, using all of the hot water source, as expected.
-hair dryer
-no iron
- 2 computers in hotel lobby, free
-lots of American tourists
-mix of backpackers/jetsetters/young crowd/older crowd/couples/singles/families
-restaurant
-continental breakfast
-secure/safe
-transportation to and from hotel and bus accessible
-English speaking concierge/staff (not so much the shuttle driver)
-have converters for outlets (must ask the front desk for one, free of charge)
-clean, bright room WITH towels (unlike most)
-basic toiletries such as bar soap, plastic cups, & toilet paper. No shampoo/conditioner/body soap/lotion/toothpaste/toothbrush/tissue box

All in all, an AMAZING stay here. Best experience in Italy so far. Sure, the room isn't as fancy as the rooms I've stayed at in the Hyatt and Hilton but it's really nice in that charming, simple, Italian way. You will love it here, I promise. I will def. return back to Il Nido if I ever return to Italy.

5 Thank AslanK
UK
Reviewed 30 August 2009

Following reading past reviews we booked a week in Il Nido and have just got back. We were lucky to get a late booking and as a result did not manage to get one of the rooms with the panoramic view (but we knew this at the time of booking) but were luckier than one couple who's view consisted of a corridor. The reception area and room were absolutely spotless. However, to access our room we had to walk down a corridor which had peeling paint and wallpaper over a badly stained carpet. But this was the only negative part of our stay. The staff were helpful, the food excellent and the minibus shuttle service invaluable. All in all a very good experience.

New York
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I just arrived home from a 14 day stay at Il Nido. There are so many hotels in Sorrento
that it is hard to choose. My friends had stayed there a couple of years ago and told
me it was a must. The minute I walked in I felt like I was at home and that is very
important when traveling alone. My room was perfect, spotless and everyday the
housekeeping staff made sure that it stayed that way. The views are amazing, when
you are having your breakfast in the morning it's hard to leave. The home cooked
dinners at the restaurant are so good , you could go there every night and never have
the same meal twice. I found the shuttle service great, I traveled every day to different
areas and it was nice to know that the bus would be there to take you home. The
city bus is also right there so transportation is never a problem. The entire staff at
Il Nido make you feel like you are their only customer, they are fabulous, you get high
end treatment and very reasonable prices. I will be making many more trips to Italy
and I hope that I can include Il Nido in all my travel plans.

Lisa Calabrese Campione