“Not very central, but nice views”
Review of Hotel Central

Hotel Central
Ranked #50 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 23 September 2012

The name of the hotel is a bit misleading, because the hotel is actually quite a walk from the main plaza of the city. However, our room was comfortable, but not luxurious by any means. The curtains were a little off, and didn't close right. The bathroom was small, and had a step up for the bidet and toilet, for whatever reason. It seemed unnecessary, and could be a trip hazard for some people.

The room was relatively noisy, with sounds from our neighbors and the street wafting in. The included breakfast did not include hot items, but was adequate.

The views from the rooftop were nice. The adjacent swimming pool was medium size. It was large enough to swim short laps.

Internet access was available for an additional fee. In my opinion, that's inexcusable for such a pricey hotel. In the US, we call that nickel and diming the customer. The need to access the internet should not be treated like a luxury option. Most people I know are regular internet users when traveling, so I would advise the hotel management to enter the 21st century.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank onbalance
There are newer reviews for Hotel Central

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Having been transferred to this hotel at late notice by our travel company I was perhaps not in the best frame of mind on our arrival to gather immediate impressions. Now, at home, I have time to reflect and can hopefully provide an objective comment.

Let`s get the negatives out of the way first. The hotel is not `central` neither is it four star. The walk into the heart of Sorrento town will take a good fifteen minutes on roads which can be very awkward. The footway is undulating and at parts only two feet wide. Being a main road the traffic is very busy and passes within a fraction on the narrow sections. Be especially aware of the maniacs on motor scooters every one of whom has a death wish.

We were fortunate in being allocated one of the larger rooms to the front which was a good size with room to comfortably walk about. Rooms to the rear of the hotel are smaller. The penalty is the traffic noise which continues until late evening. If you are an early bedder take earplugs. In the morning I hope you are an early riser because the traffic will certainly wake you. All rooms have balconies but sitting above noisy traffic is not to pleasant.

The dining room is quite small for the number of guests for which it caters. We made the mistake on the first two nights of dining early and found the noise levels uncomfortable and the general crush disconcerting. At breakfast, unless you are going on a trip, arrive later as the pressure of people around the table where the continental breakfast is available is quite unacceptable with the natives of one certain country thinking it was the norm to elbow guests out of their way and shove their way to the front (not U.K!).

Onto the positives!. The hotel has obviously undergone recent refurbishment and was tastefully decorated in fresh pastel shades. This was also the case in the bedrooms. The seated area contained what looked like new sofas as were bedrooms doors and various fittings throughout the hotel. Our room contained quite delightful repro furniture.

The pool area is shared with the adjacent hotel but at no time was it busy. The area contains two sections with adequate seating. I found it quite pleasant. There was certainly no need for a 5 o`clock towel run! There is also a very nice roof terrace which I preferred as it had both sun exposure and plenty shade as required.

The dining room menu offers five choices and while not quite top cuisine there was always something available to happily satisfy the hunger.

The one definite positive about this hotel is the staff who were quite exceptional. Friendly, very helpful and pleasant when dealing with any request.

All in my wife and I had a good break. The hotel certainly did not spoil anything but having had a look at it while we were in Sorrento I would have much preferred my original choice which was a proper four star. However I am sure most guests will find the Central suitable for their needs.

Room Tip: Taxis in Sorrento are VERY expensive!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Couperthwaite
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed here with my husband and another couple for 3 days. Excellent hotel for money, friendly helpful staff. Rooms not huge but clean and have everything you need. It is a bit of a walk from main area but good to walk off all the wonderful food and gelato!! Hidden gem is the roof terrace. Lovely way to end an evening with drinks up there.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Asampz
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Stayed 3 nights as part of a tour group. The room had plenty of space for my wife, daughter and myself. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great. No hot food, but an incredible assortment of pastries. The pool was great and shaded in the late afternoon, only drawback was that it closes at 7 PM. DO NOT miss the rooftop garden, a great place for a drink following a day of sightseeing. The hotel is situated along the main road and is about a 15 min walk to the main square. The road is somewhat noisy, but we sleep with earplugs anyway because of snoring. As this was part of a tour I'm not sure how the daily/weekly rates compare to other hotels,but would recommend staying here. For a great homemade meal simply cross the street, it's not much to look at but the food is outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gtremper
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed 3 nights as part of a tour group. It's on the main road (lots of traffic and noise) and is a good 10-15 minute walk, where the sidewalk is lacking in places, to the real 'Central' of Sorrento.

That being said the rooms are quaint and the staff are helpful. I'd say it's fine for 3 nights but for a weeks vacation the walking to town gets stale as it's all through traffic. Downtown Sorrento is pedestrianized and much nicer.

Don't miss the nutella cake for breakfast - it's sublime.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

A bit further from the station with bags than we expected. A good walk to town but acceptable. Helpful & friendly staff. Good breakfast. Interesting views of busy street and traffic out of window. Witnessed a prang - crazy driving! Enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here as part of an eleven day tour of Italy. I had a single room and it was quite tiny. The bathroom was barely closet sized and I could not shave my legs in the shower without banging my head off the shower door. However, the room was comfortable and I had a great view of the sea. The restaurant was good for breakfast and the front desk staff were attentive and pleasant, except for the man who was there the morning of my departure who seemed very annoyed to have to deal with me at 6am. I didn't use the pool but it looked nice. The hotel was at least 15 minutes from the town center and farther from the port. It will be a 20 euro taxi fare to the port. While Hotel Central is a perfectly fine hotel, I would not stay there again if going to sorrento. There are better located hotels that are still a good value.

• Stayed: May 2012