“Inventive cooking”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Newport-on-Tay
“Inventive cooking”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

The restaurant was not busy when we arrived so the service was timely and the menu offered a great selection of tasty sounding dishes, with many lighter options (hence the name) over and above the usual salads. Definitely an American iwest coast nfluence in some of the dishes. When the food arrived it could not be faulted. You sit back with a nice meal, a cool drink and watch the people and traffic go by, some slower than others.

1 Thank Art M

• Hebrew first
Livingston, United Kingdom
“A cold beer while the world goes by”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

After spending a few hours walking around Sorrento on what was quite a warm day we decided that it would be nice to have a cold beer. This restaurant was close to where we were due to get a bus back to the harbour so seemed ideal. The beer was refreshing and we spent a leisurely half hour watching the world go by. However as the restaurant is close to a busy road junction it was quite noisy.

“Shame”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We eat in here one evening and had a lovely meal with great service. Such a good idea to have good food that is light after all the rich food we had been eating. All the food was great.

It was so good that we went back for a second meal. The second trip was nowhere near as nice: the service was rushed. They got my order wrong and when I asked about it they said they "forgot" to tell me what I ordered was not available. I didn't like the replacement meal they gave me so they said they would change it. They took the salad that had given me (Strawberry's and walnuts) and literally dumped plain but hot rice on the top of the strawberry and walnut salad. Was such a shame because the first meal had been lovely but I would not go back. I left the meal untouched and I received no apology.

1 Thank Sculley72
“Fresh food at its best”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

For a very touristy location this place deserves a good review. We enjoyed it so much that we went 3 times. Lovely having the choice of so many light dishes. The salads & pastas all freshly served.Very rare to get fresh fruit as a dessert.Husband & I shared ,beautifully presented & a nice way to finish a meal. Staff all very nice & happy. Perfect place to watch the World go by with a glass of wine & plate of penne with pesto.

Visited May 2014
“Excellent lighter fare menu, good for dinner too!!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We first came to this restaurant for a late lunch after we had transferred from Positano. We thoroughly enjoyed the salads we each selected from the menu which has quite a selection of salads. The entire menu trends towards lighter fare although you can get a complete dinner as we did later.

We returned here for dinner and, as it had been raining and was a cool evening, we asked to be seated inside. We were taken to the second floor (that's the first floor if you're European) into a room whose walls were covered with a large collection of drawings. I think these are copies of "studies" by various masters in preparation for carving statues, or preparing the facades of buldings. At any rate, it's quite a fascinating collection. If you climb the stairs, rather than using the elevator (lift), you'll find photographs of the square outside which were taken about every 10 years back to about the mid 1800's.

Our server was Francesco, a very charming fellow. I think he may have been practicing his English, which is very good, as he served (and entertained) us. The restaurant was not busy and Francesco was attentive without being intrusive.

The wine list is a bound volume of some 144 pages. Francesco told us there were over 2000 bottles in the cellars. Overwhelmed, we asked Francesco to select one for us. It was very good without being overpriced. Dinner was excellent, well prepared and presented.

• Visited October 2013