“Lovely hotel, not so great time to go” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria
Ranked #4 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
UK
“Lovely hotel, not so great time to go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

I stayed in this hotel with a friend in Nov last year. The hotel itself was lovely and couldn't fault it, we got a coach from Naples airport which was about 15 euros each I think and took just over an hour, dropped us at the train station which was about 5 min walk. Room was lovely, small balcony but it wasnt really the weather for sitting out anyway. We had a problem with the shower leaking water, they didnt fix it but the maid just mopped it up with loads of towels and didn't really seem to understand where the water was coming from!! Had breakfast in the hotel which was nice - pastries, fruit, yoghurt, ham, cheese etc.
We were only there for 3 days, first day was sunny and warmish and then the weather turned rainy and stayed like it for rest of wkend. We knew it was out of season but did feel the weather ruined it a bit. Wanted to go to Capri but didn't because ferries were not going because of rain and wind. Went to Pompeii one of the days which was good - again though, in the rain. Would have been more enjoyable if weather was dry. It was huge and you'd never even be able to get round half of it in a day. Got the train there which was easy and quite quick.
There were not many restaurants open at that time of year, we managed to find a couple and on the last night had booked to go to to Il Buco, which was really nice. It was pricey (we knew it was going to be) but really worth it, good service and amazing food. I really think though that Sorrento as a place and with all the restaurants too definitely would have a better atmosphere when busy and warm in the summer months. We liked it but didnt feel it was amazing as everyone had told us, mainly for this reason I think.
Would love to go back in the summer to go to Capri and generally enjoy Sorrento when busier! The hotel was great, lovely views over to Capri and Naples.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank catherine07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

We recently stayed here for a week. It was our first visit to Sorrento and indeed Italy so we did not know what to expect. I relentlessly researched here on TA finding out about where to eat, how to travel around etc.

We had first few days of sunshine which does make a difference so maybe we would not have been at all glum by the end of our stay if the weather had of stayed the same - however it did not.

The hotel is beautiful, the exterior and the gardens are lovely - people come in just to have their photos taken there. Also the interior is very grand and the staff all dressed well and you really feel you are in a top notch hotel. Great service when we arrives, fast and friendly check in, and a lovely large sea view room. We had a classic but I wonder if we had a better room as the ceilings were sooooo high and the room large, and also a large terrace - whereas when we moved (read on) the room wad definately alot smaller and only had a balcony to sit out on. But this was aparantly the same standard room. The first room was on floor 4, whereas the smaller ones were on floor 6.

Because we went before the season gets fully going - we understood not everything would be open so we will not comment on that, however within the hotel we did think everything would be open, like the restaurants,. Should be at least 2 but only 1 was open and not the nicest. Also the swimming pool was empty so not able to use although i can imagine it looks amazing in the sunshine and when water in it - we wouldn't know. When we arrived there were not many people but as the week moved on we noticed it getting busier, and then on the last morning before we left, they opened the main victoria restuarant which is beautiful!!!!!!! It also offered the full breakfast with smoked salmon, scambled egg, sausages, mushrooms etc. Whreas for the other 6 days we were there the smaller restaurant did not - it mentioned these items on the menu but when we tried to order them we got the impression it was a bit fo an effort for them, and one day we were told they were not available!!!!! So the bread, fried egg and cereals, meat etc were fine. Nice juices also. Service was not already great - sometimes ok sometimes not - one day we were in a rush to get a ferry but had to wait 30 mins to get our tea and coffee even though there were only another 2 tables sitting.

Room - as I said our first one was lovely - no faults at all. We enjoyed sitting out at night with some candles we brought from the local supermarket and drinking a bottle of wine looking at the lights in naples and the port - some of our best times spent here and the cheapest - read further down lol. Unfortunately we had to move around 3 days before we were due to leave because after 2 mornings of being woken up at 7am by the lady 9I guess) in the room above walking around in heels for an hour!!!!!!!! - after 2 days I could not take anymore - we go on holiday to relax and maybe get up around 9 - have a leasurely day - not get up the same time we normally do for work!!! - so I complained to reception and they moved us to another room of the same standard they said - but it was definately smaller and on the top floor - so a balcony - we could not sit out on this because it was sooooooo windy - so had to sit drinking our bottle of red with the door closed unfortunately!!

Sorrento restaurants are very expensive and drinks are rediculous - £6 for a beer is mad and £14 for a pizza is not funny! So this is why we ended up buying the same quality wine sold in these pricey places from the supermarket for £2!!!!! and drank in our room with the views. I have travelled europe and have never been anywhere with prices as exaggerated as Sorrento is - it really has put us off ever going again.

We hotel is ideally placed for walking around Sorrento, getting to the train and bus station and down to the port - with the great secret lift - loved it - felt like we were in a movie!!!! I moan at walking as hubby is over 6 foot 5 and walks vvv quick, whereas at 5 foot 7 I seem to have to walk twice as fast to keep up - but here even I walked around fine!

We decided to have our last night meal at the hotel - and saw the prices before we went in - but we thought the quantity and quality would be worth it - welll...... hmmmm.

We shared a starter of scampi type basis - well it cost £24 and we had 2 prawns each!!! It was meant to have black truffle on it - well it didn't!!! Made me laugh - heard the manager explaining the equally expensive lobster raviolli to the american people next to us - basically it had no lobster in it now - instead vegetbale - but the same price!!!! Hubby then had some Duck which was a rediculous amount - he does eat alot as he is so tall but lets say the duck was the size of a inch round of cucumber, and 1 small potato!!!!! then I had risotto and that was silly also. If I say we had to order room service when we got back to the room because we were sooo hungry - we did not want to because of the cost of this - and the fact they charge an extra £7 per person for room service - when the food is already expensive!!! this maybe shows the lack of sizes.

This is my biggest grumble!

Also the pillows are not very good for a 5 star hotel - we had to ask for more pillows twice because they were vvvvv hard and lumpy! I was dissapointed with this.

All in all I am glad we went to Sorrento and for the location the hotel would get a 5 out of 5 - but because of the lack of facilities, food issues and lack on continuity in service i think maybe a 3. I think they also pay more attention to certain nationalities and also depending on who is spending the most - i do not appreciate this in todays market and did leave feeling a little dissapointed.

All a learning curve though. If anyone has any questions please ask away.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clairebear22
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

I recently visited this hotel. I booked two rooms for my husband, child and I and also another room for my sister. Whilst the location is ideal, and views from hotel amazing the service experienced in this hotel was the worst service we have ever experienced in any hotel I have stayed in ever. I am nearly forty.

When you travel with a small child, you really appreciate good service.

A few examples:

1. I asked in the afternoon for a plate of fresh pasta to be cooked for my child. I was assured by two different concierges that this service was available. The head of the kitchen refused.

2. There is no ramp into the hotel, so if you are disabled or carrying a child in a buggy you have to physically lift it yourself. On three occasions members of staff looked on as I hefted the buggy down the steps into the hotel.

3. We dined in one occasion in the restaurant, at the end of our dinner, staff started loudly banging and clearing tables before we were finished our main course. This was at 9 pm. and not midnight!

4. The pool was closed.

5. The hotel advertises three restaurants. There is only one open and is not suitable for children.

THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A LEADING HOTEL OF THE WORLD. FAR FROM IT.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank MCELDUFF
Billericay, Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel and couldn't fault it at all. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The location is great with the Train station and Ferries just a few minutes walk away, making it very easy to see the sights of Pompeii, Capri, Amalfi, Mount Versuvius etc. People arriving from Naples by Bus should be aware. When we arrived late in the evening, we were immediately approached by a taxi to take us to our hotel, which we accepted because we didn't know where the hotel was. We were in the cab for less than 2 minutes and charged 11 Euros, only to find that we were dropped off practically opposite where we were picked up. The hotel isn't visible from the street, just wrought iron gates that lead through a beautiful orange and lemon grove, easily walkable, even with luggage.

Our only wish was that we went later in the year, a lot of Sorrento, Capri and Amalfi is shut and doesn't open until mid March.

However, overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank homerwilboy
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

We stayed 3 nights in Feb with our 6 year old son, beautiful hotel right off the square able to walk to everything including train/bus, plaza, shops, etc, beautiful large private gardens with hidden small soccer field and basketball court and playground! Beautiful views of the sea from everywhere. The staff were lovely, very attentive all spoke English well. Breakfast was very nice and served in the main restaurant overlooking the sea- eggs, coffee, fresh pastries and fruit. Nice room with balcony and they upgraded to a suite.
Our only complaint is that Sorrento is very quiet in Feb, this is low season for sure, only a few other people in the hotel, we felt out numbered by the staff and a bit like we were rattling around by ourselves, most hotels and shops in town closed. We don't usually stay in 5star places but got a great rate on their website, but it felt a little strange to have so many extremely well dressed staff members around everywhere just waiting to do something for us, a bit too fancy and fussy for my taste. It was worth it to see Positano and Pompeii, but I would come back in April or May next time. Be careful about the afternoon tea- it costs 15 euro each and includes 4 tiny sandwich pieces and one small cup of tea.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank MegBoston
denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2009

My boyfriend and i have been at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento for one of the escapes that we usually do choosing the best hotels chains! It' s easy to write a review on this hotel and i am doing it after reading all the other good reviews! Where these other guest have been? Are they sure that it' s the right hotel that they are talking about? One good thing: the building is old
fation overlooking the port of sorrento, the amosphere is magic! After that i can say: why there is no staff there? i mean instead of staff you can see rude people around wearing staff uniforms! Going down the stairs from the hall floor you see dust everywhere, the only smiling person we saw was the porter waiting for a tip! i could go on and say more but i prefere to stop it here! This is not a 5 star hotel at all
If you go to Sorrento go to visit the place anyway, it' s a shame it' is not runned the right way

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank bentta
Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

My husband and I traveled to Sorrento, Italy with our infant child and my best friend. After a harrowing drive from Naples, we arrived in absolutely charming Sorrento. Sorrento - and the Grand Hotel Excelsior - are like a breath of fresh air. The hotel was wonderful - from the gorgeous ocean views, to the friendly but unimposing staff, to the incredible bounty at the buffet breakfast. We cannot wait to return.

The only drawback was that heat in the hotel was either on at full blast or off - it was all or nothing.

• Liked — Everything - the hotel was beautiful.
  • Disliked — Only the uneven heat.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JamaicaMiami