“A wonderful hotel that provided a wonderful holiday trip.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sorrento Palace

Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Little Rock, Arkansas
“A wonderful hotel that provided a wonderful holiday trip.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

At first, this hotel seemed far away. That is because; we were not used to walking. After a day, it was very convenient. The front desk staff was incredible. They suggested wonderful non-tourist activities. We went to a local football game and had a blast. The orange trees smelled so wonderful when you opened the door to your balcony. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARtraveler01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Evanston, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

We arrived in Sorrento in a rain in early evening with a reservation at another hotel. But weather, darkness, exhaustion and unfamiliarity with the hills and winding streets made it impossible to find. After aimlessly driving about, we saw a sign pointing toward the Hilton, and I told my husband to just follow the signs. We drove up the hill, found what looked like a university research lab exterior and a Hilton sign, with one room available at a rate of 279Euros plus 45 Euros add ons. Beggars can't be choosers, so we took it. Well we spent the night there protected from rain and a cold fall night for a lot of money and few services. The only friendly person in the building was the barman. We went there to find if the hotel had a place to eat, and we bought pizza and wine, and he added olives and other little bar nibblys as we waited. Our room was contructed and decorated like a reinforced concrete college dorm room - three cheap dormstyle twin beds, metal desk and book shelves, cheap TV and alarm clock. The bathroom was dormlike functional. Our room faced a barren stone wall. The other side of the hotel does face over the city, but since we had the "only" room available on a "very busy night" they would not change our room - none available - but they offered to tie two of the twin beds together! We told them to forget that. However when out and about in the hotel we saw only a couple of other guests in the quite large building. The gift shop was empty with only a rude clerk present. The desk was empty other than two rude clerks. The lobby was impressively large and well-marbeled, but cold and inhospitable and empty. What seemed to be a large dining room was empty with no staff present. The bar was open, and pleasantly staffed, but we were the only customers. Where were all those others
This hotel is really a spooky place, as well as unfriendly and ugly! I would never recommend it to anyone. But it was only one bad night on an otherwise wonderful trip.

Room Tip: No idea!
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AFL2011
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Dear AFL2011,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. I am a true supporter of a tireless attention to detail and attitude that always places Guests first and understands that it takes a team of committed staff to provide the service that meets and exceeds Guests' expectations.

With regards to the signage, I am sorry if you found it challenging to find our hotel, however I would just like to inform you that we have the maximum number of signs allowed by Law, throughout the street.

Personally, I can only regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I am even more sorry that you did not try to contact me directly, so that I could have addressed your concerns in person and made your stay more enjoyable and pleasant.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Sorrento Palace, so that we will have the chance to provide you with the exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should you wish to return to Sorrento.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

This hotel is located within a 15 minute walk from the center of town, but has great views overlooking Sorrento and Mount Vesuvius. The staff was great, the pool was very big and the walk down to town was nothing to complain about. Would definitely stay here again considering you get a great value here with great service.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Salandtal
Bath
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

We booked a junior suite for around 160 Euros a night including breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids. We were upgraded on arrival to two interconnecting bedrooms with plenty of room and a view over the Town and the sea with Vesuvius in the distance. The rooms are fine - not luxurious but perfectly adequate.
The hotel itself serves both business and leisure holidaymakers and has a conference centre built in.
The outdoor pools were just getting going in mid April but were cold. The indoor pool (curiously open to one of the main dining halls) nestles up against the rock face and is good for splashing about but not for serious exercise.
The breakfast was great - massive variety and unlimited freshly squeezed orange juice.
Other meals looked expensive so we went into town to eat at half the price!

Room Tip: Ask for the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank BigMikeBath
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Dear BigMikeBath,

Thank you for your valauble comments concerning your visit at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

I am pleased to know that you are satisfied with your stay in our Hotel, as we do our best to make sure every Guest's visit is as unforgettable as possible.

We are very grateful to you for this consideration, our Guest's feedback is very precious because it enables us to improve our services day after day. It also helps us recognise and reward a job of high quality.

I have communicated to all the Team your satisfaction for their professionalism and friedliness, which contribute largely to customer recognition.

We will never thank you enough for your constructive comments. We are looking forward to seeing you again at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

The Team and I remain at your disposal for any further support.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

But it is its location that allows such great views of the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius. Make sure to get a sea view room, otherwise you will probably be dissapointed. My issue with the hotel's location is that unlike other Sorrento hotels, it does not offer a shuttle bus to town. Although the hotel itself is only an easy 12-15 minute walk from town, it is far and uphill enough that you will not want to walk back to the hotel until going to sleep. Keep in mind that taxis in Sorrento are ridiculously expensive. Another thing that bothered me was that the air conditioning seemed to shut down literally every 20 seconds, although the room was cold enough.

On the positive side, the hotel is clean, the breakfast is very good and the bathroom (at least in my Executive Room) was enormous. Would probably stay here again if I go back to Sorrento, but only if I can reserve a sea view room.

Room Tip: Sea view room.
2 Thank VipB
Dear VipB,

I would like to thank you for providing feedback regarding your experience at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

I have taken note of your comments regarding a shuttle bus service and thank you very much for your useful comments, which are very helpful to us to identify the areas that can be improved in order to provide the best levels of service to our Guests.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Hilton Sorrento Palace in the near future and remain at your entire disposal should you require any future assistance.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

From every standpoint of measurement, the Hilton Sorrento Palace was fantastic from chech-in to check-out one week later. As a matter of fact, our welcome at check-in by Pina was the best we have ever experienced at ANY hotel anywhere worldwide and the staff kept that welcoming exemplary service attitude throughout our entire stay. Further, the grounds were immaculate, the facility spotless, and the view from our room was to die for. (The later was very special to us since Mrs. Barr could enjoy the panorama of her birthplace across the Bay every day from our room. )

Walking to and from Sorrento, the Circumvesuviana or the port was delighful since we could pick up some fava beans for munchies at a green grocer on the way and there is a wonderful pasticceria just a few meters to the right on Via degli Aranci.

Without a doubt, we look forward to returning. Anyone who does not try this hotel once needs to have their head examined.

Room Tip: Ask for a upper floor Bay room near the elevators
Dear InsiemeSempre,

It is indeed an absolute joy for us to learn that you were pleased with your experience in our Hotel and that your wife was able to enjoy the panorama of her birthplace from your room.

I have conveyed to Pina as well as to all the Team, your appreciation for their service and professionalism, which contribute so much to customer satisfaction.
Thank you again for taking the time to write, our Guests' feedback is invaluable to us, as it helps us continually improve and provide the best levels of service.

I very much look forward to welcoming you all back to the Hilton Sorrento Palace in the near future and remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Kindest regards,

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2011

I'm a Honors Diamond Member (Stay @ Hilton hotels 150+ nights a year) and have stayed here twice, both times I was initially refused an upgrade but once I pointed out that upgraded rooms were available for sale they very reluctantly upgraded to the mid class Exec rooms on the 4th floor but not to the best rooms which are on the 7th floor. Then tried to refuse access to the Exec lounge until I showed them their policy on the web at which point I was told it didn't apply in Sorrento, in the end they reluctantly gave us access, it just shouldn't be so hard!

Good - Views (Sea view rooms only), Exec lounge & Pool great for snacks during the day and breakfast (limited range of food), easy walk into town (10 mins), Clean rooms.

Bad - Check in staff couldn't care less, was initially ignored at the Hilton Honors check in desk then checked in by a mixture of three people who were far more interested in talking on the phone (they answered four phone calls while checking us in) and to their colleagues; Check out staff the same; Rooms (stayed in 429) very bare and lack any soul, sound insulation poor - you can hear everything going on in the corridors and adjacent rooms, doors opening and shutting, kids running up and down etc; Breakfast in the main restaurant very busy and understaffed - 20 mins wait in a queue for a crepe and then the same in another queue for an omelette;Bathrooms very dated with shower over the bath; Taxi into town €15 (a total rip off) there should be a shuttle, Parking hard work unless you're willing to pay €15 a day

I want to love this place but it needs some effort out into the customer, the hotel was at best 50% full when we were there and still it wasn't great.

Just a note about weather at this time of year in Europe - Sun is by no means guaranteed, we stayed 8 days and had 3 days of solid rain, 3 OK'ish days and two sunny days, my recommendation would be book late at this time of the year, check the forecast for the coming week and if it's OK then go the next day, still no guarantee though! the place is not geared up to bad weather!

Would I go again, doubt it!

2 Thank Vistaro
Dear Vistaro,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. Guest comments, whether positive or negative are always welcome and remedial actions are taken whenever possible.

As far as the upgrade is concerned, although I realise the overwhelming impression is far from favourable, I can assure you that such occurrences are extremely unusual when executive rooms are available for the entire stay.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding our Executive Lounge & pool facilities and the cleanliness of our rooms.

I apologise if the check in and check out processes were not up to Hilton standards and please rest assured that we have taken the necessary steps to prevent this from happening again. With regards to the breakfast service, I would just like to explain that the crepes and eggs stations are an additional service that we wish to offer our Guests, as this is very much appreciated and requested year after year, therefore it may happen that queues line up, as they are made on the spot.

With regards to the car park, it is true that very few parking spots are free in the vicinity of the hotel, however ours is secure, guarded 24/7 and costs almost 40% less that public and unsafe parking areas.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate it if you could contact me directly should you wish to come back to Sorrento. This way, I will ensure that mine is not only a philosophy, but gets pragmatically put into place.