“Overpriced and unfriendly”

Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We stayed here for four nights and paid quite a lot extra to upgrade to a 'top floor executive room' - it wasn't worth it. We did have a large room with a luxurious bathroom and a private balcony with great views of the Bay of Naples, we also had access to the executive lounge with free breakfast, drinks and snacks and a quiet sun deck with plunge pool.
This lounge however was directly above our room as they put us in a 6th floor room and insisted it was the 'top floor' - we were wakened at 6am every day by chairs and tables being dragged around upstairs, presumably by staff mopping the floor. This hotel has no soundproofing whatsoever so you hear everything.
On our arrival we'd been given a wifi code and assumed it was included in our 'executive' package, but when we asked for the code the following day the receptionist loudly accused us of being cheap and trying to get something for free, apparently they charge 17 euros per day. They also charged us for 2 days parking at 15 euros a day, for leaving a car in their car park for 1 night.
They failed to replenish the single small bottle of complimentary water in our room and the executive lounge closes at 11pm so getting in late one night we had to use the expensive mini bar.
Why would a hotel be so miserly to guests who have spent over a thousand euros on their stay? This penny pinching and the general rudeness of the staff left us feeling really disappointed and we won't be staying here again or recommending this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for an executive room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TopperTiger
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Dear TopperTiger,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. Guest comments, whether positive or negative are always welcome and remedial actions are taken whenever possible.

Thank you very much for your positive comments, it is always a pleasure for us to know when our Guests appreciate the services we provide.

I’m sorry to hear you were disturbed early in the morning and I apologise if you were ill advised at check in, about the exact location of your room, however, kindly note that our Executive Top Floor rooms are located on the 6th and 7th floors.

As far as our parking area is concerned, I would just like to inform you that this service is not charged by the hour, but by day. There are very few parking spots are free in the vicinity of the hotel, however ours is secure, guarded 24/7 and costs almost 40% less that public and unsafe parking areas.

With regards to your other comments, thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us and more importantly that you did not try to contact me directly, so that I could have addressed your concerns in person and made your stay more enjoyable and pleasant.

I thank you very much for all your feedback and would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 12 June 2011

I received a sea view room, not bad. The room was OK, not a four star quality but very dorm-like, not warm and cozy. A least it was clean. I couldn't wait to leave the room! The breakfast was below average, the buffet food was cold. Coolest thing was the orange juicer - at least I had fresh squeezed juice with my cold food! Waited about 10 minutes for an omelette, too long. The outside bar was lovely, we received bar nibbles with my drinks. There was no shuttle to town, so the taxi was around 15 euros, and you have to pay more if it past 10 pm. The front desk quoted the Internet charges were 16 euro per day, but I was able to logon free (there was a large conference going on, and maybe they gave them free Internet, and I got lucky!) I won't be returning any time soon and won't recommend to anyone.. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Request sea view room, or you may be miserable.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank BasketballMama
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2011

Dear BasketballMama,

As far as breakfast is concerned, I apologise if the overall experience did not meet your expectations. With regards to the omelettes, I would just like to explain that the crepes and eggs stations are an additional service that we wish to offer our Guests, as this is very much appreciated and requested year after year, therefore it may happen that queues line up, as they are made on the spot.

With regards to other comments thank you very much for reporting these. We believe travel websites to be a powerful tool, as it is useful for us to grow and better understand how to continually improve our level of service. In that respect, Trip Advisor led the way and is always very attentive to properties it somehow represents. This is why, with 83% of satisfied customers, the comments left are generally extremely positive, raving about staff, accommodation and cleanliness. Distance to the city centre has never been an issue as it is a mere 10-minute walk. In addition, kinldy note that there is a local bus that goes to and from the hotel to town and to the station. This runs about every 45 minutes.

Personally, I can only regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, even more sorry that you did not try to contact me directly, so that I could have addressed your concerns in person and made your stay more enjoyable and pleasant.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that we can provide you with exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our hotel.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

Great location albeit outside of city centre. Views are incredible!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank ollib02
Reviewed 31 May 2011

At first, this hotel seemed far away. That is because; we were not used to walking. After a day, it was very convenient. The front desk staff was incredible. They suggested wonderful non-tourist activities. We went to a local football game and had a blast. The orange trees smelled so wonderful when you opened the door to your balcony. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ARtraveler01
Reviewed 27 May 2011

We arrived in Sorrento in a rain in early evening with a reservation at another hotel. But weather, darkness, exhaustion and unfamiliarity with the hills and winding streets made it impossible to find. After aimlessly driving about, we saw a sign pointing toward the Hilton, and I told my husband to just follow the signs. We drove up the hill, found what looked like a university research lab exterior and a Hilton sign, with one room available at a rate of 279Euros plus 45 Euros add ons. Beggars can't be choosers, so we took it. Well we spent the night there protected from rain and a cold fall night for a lot of money and few services. The only friendly person in the building was the barman. We went there to find if the hotel had a place to eat, and we bought pizza and wine, and he added olives and other little bar nibblys as we waited. Our room was contructed and decorated like a reinforced concrete college dorm room - three cheap dormstyle twin beds, metal desk and book shelves, cheap TV and alarm clock. The bathroom was dormlike functional. Our room faced a barren stone wall. The other side of the hotel does face over the city, but since we had the "only" room available on a "very busy night" they would not change our room - none available - but they offered to tie two of the twin beds together! We told them to forget that. However when out and about in the hotel we saw only a couple of other guests in the quite large building. The gift shop was empty with only a rude clerk present. The desk was empty other than two rude clerks. The lobby was impressively large and well-marbeled, but cold and inhospitable and empty. What seemed to be a large dining room was empty with no staff present. The bar was open, and pleasantly staffed, but we were the only customers. Where were all those others
This hotel is really a spooky place, as well as unfriendly and ugly! I would never recommend it to anyone. But it was only one bad night on an otherwise wonderful trip.

Room Tip: No idea!
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AFL2011
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Dear AFL2011,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. I am a true supporter of a tireless attention to detail and attitude that always places Guests first and understands that it takes a team of committed staff to provide the service that meets and exceeds Guests' expectations.

With regards to the signage, I am sorry if you found it challenging to find our hotel, however I would just like to inform you that we have the maximum number of signs allowed by Law, throughout the street.

Personally, I can only regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I am even more sorry that you did not try to contact me directly, so that I could have addressed your concerns in person and made your stay more enjoyable and pleasant.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Sorrento Palace, so that we will have the chance to provide you with the exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, should you wish to return to Sorrento.

Reviewed 26 May 2011

This hotel is located within a 15 minute walk from the center of town, but has great views overlooking Sorrento and Mount Vesuvius. The staff was great, the pool was very big and the walk down to town was nothing to complain about. Would definitely stay here again considering you get a great value here with great service.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Salandtal
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We booked a junior suite for around 160 Euros a night including breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids. We were upgraded on arrival to two interconnecting bedrooms with plenty of room and a view over the Town and the sea with Vesuvius in the distance. The rooms are fine - not luxurious but perfectly adequate.
The hotel itself serves both business and leisure holidaymakers and has a conference centre built in.
The outdoor pools were just getting going in mid April but were cold. The indoor pool (curiously open to one of the main dining halls) nestles up against the rock face and is good for splashing about but not for serious exercise.
The breakfast was great - massive variety and unlimited freshly squeezed orange juice.
Other meals looked expensive so we went into town to eat at half the price!

Room Tip: Ask for the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BigMikeBath
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Dear BigMikeBath,

Thank you for your valauble comments concerning your visit at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

I am pleased to know that you are satisfied with your stay in our Hotel, as we do our best to make sure every Guest's visit is as unforgettable as possible.

We are very grateful to you for this consideration, our Guest's feedback is very precious because it enables us to improve our services day after day. It also helps us recognise and reward a job of high quality.

I have communicated to all the Team your satisfaction for their professionalism and friedliness, which contribute largely to customer recognition.

We will never thank you enough for your constructive comments. We are looking forward to seeing you again at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

The Team and I remain at your disposal for any further support.