“Huge sterile hotel in the wrong location”

Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Chose this hotel because thought it had a fun element for the kids. Unfortunately it was hideous for the adults! Too many people crowded round the 6 rather small pools. Too far away from Sorrento to walk, particularly back as all up hill. Rooms comfortable. Breakfast great if you get there early otherwise queue for pancakes etc ridiculous. Executive floor quite nice and great for free lunch and evening drinks.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MozandCaz
There are newer reviews for Hilton Sorrento Palace

Reviewed 12 August 2011

Just returned back from a fantastic week at the Hilton Sorrento Palace. After reading a few of the recent reviews, we were a bit apprehensive about what we would find. However, we had booked an Executive room as it gave exclusive access to the Settimo Club (7th floor) which was very good value for money for the following reasons:
1. Each morning breakfast could be enjoyed, without fuss or pressure, outside overlooking Sorrento. The breakfast included full continental and a choice of hot food.
2. Non-alcoholic drinks and wine were available all day together with a selection of lovely snacks which were sufficient for lunch.
3. The infinity pool and terrace area was quiet and relaxing.
4. Spirits (well known brands), wine and beer were available free between 6.00pm and 8.30pm every evening.
5. Our bedroom was recently refurbished, was light and spacious and had a great view (on the 3rd floor).
The hotel staff were really helpful, the location was perfect with a pleasant 15 minute stroll into the centre of town.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TofferJesty
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stayed here in July/August, for our honeymoon! It is a really gorgeous hotel on first glance and the welcome from the fluent english staff was welcomed after a dodgy taxi journey to the hotel :)
Our room was perfect! I couldn't fault it for anything! The view was amazing!
The food at the hotel was top class, as was the pool and gym!
The downside to the hotel and much of Sorrento is that it is so expensive. It is not a hotel for you if you are on any kind of budget!
It does not have wifi and the hotel charges unbelievable prices for it, and it doesn't even work properly! So only advice is stay away from that, there are gorgeous sorrento wifi bars down the road!
Its location was absolutely perfect also. I wish I could go back, I just couldn't afford it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila P
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Sorrento for 10 nights from 24th July to 3rd August 2011. We are a family of 4 (two children aged 5 and 3).

Parking - as reported elsewhere, the parking costs EUR15 a night. This includes valet parking from reception. There are a few free parking spaces outside, but these were rarely free (we did manage to nab one for the last couple of days).

Check in - we had booked a triple room for 4 of us, as the quadruple room was not available. The guy at check-in was quite grumpy about why we didn't book a larger room, and said that there were no spare beds available (in a large hotel - can you believe it!). In the end our children shared the single bed in the triple room, which worked fine for us.

At check-in they also didn't mention that you need to sign up to get a key for the in-room safe (and agree to pay EUR130 if you lose the key!). I then had to trudge down to reception to sign the paperwork. Can't see why they don't use electronic safes.

The walk into town - people complaining about the walk are either elderly or very unfit. My 3 year old managed the walk back on numerous occasions, which is around 10 minutes at a mild climb. Don't let this put you off unless you have an aversion to walking (the walk is welcome to work off all the seafood and pasta!)

The swimming pools - there is one large outdoor pool made up of a number of connected levels. Towels are provided. It's actually a lot of fun to slide between each of the pools (and lots of people/kids were doing this). There are two small children's pools next to the kids club (see below), connected to the main pool. The pool was very cold for the first few days of our holiday (the kids turned blue after playing for 30 mins or so). In the second week (very end of July/beginning of August) the pool had warmed up considerably. Note that the indoor pool (which looks lovely) is closed in the summer (so you can only use the outdoor pools).

The kids club - The kids club consists of a small gazebo next to the swimming pool staffed by 3-4 (very friendly) ladies. You cannot leave younger children unattended (unlike, for example, Le Meridien's Pengun Club). The club runs from 10:30-12:30 and 1:30-5:30. There is a snack for the children (interchangably, chips, ice-cream, cake) at 4pm which was a real bonus as it helped the kids last until dinner time. Our kids dipped in and out of the club, and were overall a little disappointed (they were expecting more toys and activities like they have experienced elsewhere), but did enjoy some painting and craft activities put on. They spent most of their time in and around the pool playing with the (large number of) kids staying at the hotel.

Food/drink - breakfast is included in the room price and is great. The crepe/omelette stands got quite busy at 9am, but the food and coffee were of a high standard. Food by the pool was expensive (EUR8 for a kids pizza, EUR7 for fish fingers and chips, EUR2.5 for a large bottle of water, EUR12 for a pizza, EUR5 for a beer). You can drink tap water in Italy so just buy one bottle and refill it. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel (the buffet dinner is EUR35 per person), there are lots of very good restaurants in town that are a lot cheaper with great food.

The room - we were on the fifth floor (569), in a triple room facing the cliff edge. Yes, there is no view (but it is not as bad as some make out). The room was perfectly adequate, with lots of room for the 4 of us. There wasn't a shaving socket (for our electric toothbrush) but we were able to borrow an adaptor from reception for the duration of our stay. As mentioned on other reviews, they have removed the minibar items on the 5th floor, and have put in a vending machine near the lifts. This worked fine for us (and we could use the fridge for the Limoncello!)

Gym - went once and it was adequate. Lots of machines, but no free weights. There are towels in the gym.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank overridejg
Reviewed 7 August 2011

There is no transportation from the hotel to downtown or the ports. There is a city bus but it never comes. The taxi ride to downtown is 25 euro. Be prepared to pay this a few times a day. The walk is 25 min to downtown and 35 hilly minutes to the port. The hotel has decided not to run a shuttle. There are many nice options in town that are 100 euro cheaper and just as nice. We are diamond members and it is nice to have a lounge but it is not worth it. The lower level lounge offer an omelet and waffle station, the higher level lounge offered a continental breakfast. Due to the lack of transportation downtown and high rates, Pass on the Hilton. Maybe use points but it is 60,000 a night with points. Management needs to wake up....I hear the Plaza is nice and 100 euro a night..

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank JMS2000
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

Dear JMS2000,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding the services we supply at our property.

As you can see from the various comments regarding our property, there are diverging opinions concerning its location, some favourable and others less favourable. What I can say is that the walk to the centre of Sorrento does not take 25 minutes on foot but maximum 10 minutes, however, this depends on your walking speed and what you consider to be the town centre, the port definitely is not.

If you also check on any map site on the web you can see that closest point of the central Corso Italia is only mt 860 which means about 10 minutes walk as confirmed also by overridejg and salm0n1 who recently posted their comments on Trip Advisor.

Please see the following link:
http://www.tuttocitta.it/tcol/percorsi/sorrento-sorrento?cb=0&cx1=14.37102&cy1=40.62142&dv1=Sorrento (NA), Italia&ind1=Via Sant'Antonio, 13&cx2=14.37005&cy2=40.62478&dv2=Sorrento (NA), Italia&ind2=Corso Italia, 41&tp=p&ccd1=81610&ccd2=81610&op=rs&poi=0000&mtp=1&me=0&ae=0&te=

The distance to the port is about 20 minutes on foot and there is a public bus line that takes you there from piazza Tasso and back at the cost of € 1.00 each way if you do not wish to walk.

I am afraid there isn’t much we can do about the taxi fares and I am sorry you did not like our Executive Lounge, as together with our public areas and citrus garden, they are our most appreciated features.

Please rest assured that management takes all comments very seriously and is open to any confrontation or compromise to reasonably accommodate our Guests and this is why we have so many clients returning to the Hilton Sorrento Palace year after year.

I remain at your disposal for any further clarification.

With kind regards,

Paolo Pedrazzini

Reviewed 7 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family and friends. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the city center but as Sorrento is pretty chaotic, I consider this an advantage. The hotel rooms are very spacious, the breakfast buffet is delicious and the staff was very helpful. They even sent us a birthday cake when upon our arrival they saw that it was my husband's birthday. If I want to find something negative: one night we reserved a table but we had to wait more than 30 minutes to get it.The hotel is surrounded by a garden with orange and lemon trees. The tennis court isn't in really good conditions but both the indoor and outdoor pool make up for this. A good place for families!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Domi0411
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed here for a week in mid-July 2011. The location is not that far from the train/bus station. Families and elderly will want to take a cab instead of hoofing it though. The walk is not bad; it is uphill, but manageable. Views from the Oceanside of the hotel are spectacular; if you get stuck mountainside though, awful views of rock ledges. Oceanside you can see Vesuvius and Bay of Naples, most of the town falls at the feet of the hotel. Sunsets were very nice from balconies, pool, etc.

My biggest gripe with this hotel was the conveyance of amenities. I have been a Diamond member for many years now and this was the first time I felt that Diamond status did not grant me the ‘full-access’ benefits I am used to at Hiltons. Yes, that sounds stuck-up, but when you travel as much as I do and remain loyal to a brand you get used to the royal treatment. I was expecting access to the Settimo level and lounges, as that would be the equivalent at other hotels for a Diamond member. Our consolation prize was free internet – whoopee, something I DON’T need or want while on vacation! We were granted access to the lounge on the second floor which did have some snacks and drinks, but not the spread or private pool/terraces I saw upstairs at Settimo (snuck a peek in a bout of frustration). I don’t mind if the rooms on the Settimo level are all spoken for, but at least give us access to the lounge. I raised this query to the front desk, along with our 2 room repairs (see below), on two occasions with no resolution or accommodation.

Upon check-in, we were given a standard ocean view room. The concierge explained it was on the executive floor (it was not). The room was in decent condition, but the balcony sliding door would not latch every time and the doorjamb was loose (I used the metal suitcase stand placed in the sliding track as a secondary security measure, as it was not fixed during out stay). Tub was also finicky, sometimes would drain and sometimes would pool water even with the drain valve opened all the way. The fourth floor hallway always seemed to be under repair, not a bad thing, but there was wet paint or repairmen roaming the hallway at all daylight hours. I appreciate the attentiveness, but some signs to warn of wet paint would be nice! Room service and maid service were on par with what I expected.

Pool was nice though the number of kids here does not make for a couples or romantic atmosphere. Sidebar, parents here were not controlling their kids – we got sprayed with water guns and hit by beach balls or blow-up animals constantly, and the screaming/yelling… you get the picture. We didn’t hang out by the pool much, but why would you, Sorrento town is way better – Sorrento was beautiful, walk-able, safe, good food – all the things we expected, but I did feel let down by Hilton in this instance.

Room Tip: Not sure, have Diamond status and even I could not get the best rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
HiltonPR, Direttore generale at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Dear originalXfactor,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property.

I would just like to point out that the Settimo Club is a separate outlet within the hotel featuring a private pool amongst other services and as with all other outlets, it is subject to an additional charge.
Our Executive Lounge is in fact called Pompei which is designed according to the Hilton standards of service and design, to which access you were granted as a loyal Hilton Diamond Member.

I have taken note of your comments regarding your guestroom and I would like to assure you that if you were told that the room allocated was an Executive room, it means that it was indeed an Executive room. We have Executive rooms on the 3rd, 4th, 6th and 7th floors.

I have passed on your comment about warning for wet paint to our Maintenance staff, again I appreciate your valuable feedback.

Thank you very much for your positive comments concerning our outdoor pool, however, with regards to children, kindly note that the Hilton Sorrento Palace is mainly a family hotel during the summer months and it is in view of this that we offer a Kids Club to entertain children during their stay, of course, as I am sure you can appreciate, we cannot prevent the children from using the outdoor pool facility.

Even though I realise that your overall impression of our property is less than encouraging, I would value the opportunity to change your recent experience and have you stay with us again to witness the service and facilities that keep so many Guests returning to our hotel.

With kind regards,