“A fantastic hotel”

Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Pershore, United Kingdom
“A fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We have just returned from yet another wonderful holiday at the Hilton Sorrento Palace. This impressively large, modern hotel has so much going for it. Built into a sheer cliff, looking down over Sorrento, it commands a stunningly beautiful view over the town and across the Bay of Naples towards Mt Vesuvius.
Don't be daunted by the huge reception area which leads into an equally vast lounge bar complete with modern leather seating and a very well stocked bar behind which Gennaro or Pepe will mix you any cocktail you ask for which you can then drink on the wide, spacious terrace. The Sorrento Restaurant, which opens off the lounge, offers superb food and impeccable service - the meal we ate there, served by the highly professional but unobtrusive Franco, was one of the highlights of our stay.
Breakfast and dinner are taken in the San Antonio dining room (although we understand there will be no half board option next year) and are buffet style. Both offer ample choices of food - you may choose a continental or cooked breakfast (or both!) and join the queue for freshly cooked eggs, waffles or pancakes. If you wish, you can eat on the terrace which opens off the San Antonio, a magical experience in the evening.
Our room with a view (all sea view rooms are at the back of the hotel) was light, airy and spacious with plenty of storage, t.v., mini bar and a good sized bathroom. Towelling robes are provided and complimentary toiletries are Crabtree and Evelyn. Bottled water and fruit awaited us on arrival.
There was a small lift near our room, but, as we were with friends, we chose to walk along the corridor to use one of a bank of larger lifts. These would certainly accommodate a pushchair although obviously not if the lift was full. Children are well catered for - there is a kids' breakfast area in the San Antonio dining room and a kids' club by the swimming pool. And what a pool! In fact there are six interlinked pools of varying sizes. Towels and sun loungers are complimentary.
The Pagoda pool bar, providing drinks and snacks all day, is a well shaded area, although you can choose a table in the sun if you prefer. The pizzas are delicious and make a very substantial lunch and there is a "dish of the day" recommendation. There was also a very popular Happy Hour!
Sorrento is a busy town throughout the Summer so it was a relief to return to the quiet cool of the hotel. The town is an easy 10 minute walk, down hill all the way. A bus service runs between the hotel and Sorrento, 'linea E', although it can be unreliable. On one occasion, we spent nearly an hour waiting in town for the bus to arrive. Tickets cost 2 euros 40 and are timed for 45 minutes from the moment you clip them on the bus so presumably they can be used for more than one trip. The hotel sells tickets although they can also be purchased on the bus - for a slightly higher price.
If you are energetic there is a well equipped gym and outdoor tennis court but if you feel like being pampered, there are several beauty treatments available in the hotel garden.
We spent two wonderful weeks at the Hilton Sorrento Palace and were overwhelmed by the warmth and kindness of both the management and staff. Sitting on the terrace cocktail in hand, watching the lights of Sorrento and Naples twinkling below, was just heavenly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cowslip49

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

We had such an amazing time in this place, we staid for 6 nights, we enjoyed every single day.
KIDS ARE WELCOME!!
The staff was very friendly, breakfast time was the best (variety of food, from salmon to delicious omelettes, different kind of cheese, fresh orange juice) they have a buffet table for kids..
The pool was nice, warm and clean, lots of bed to lye down for a nice tan, we brought our 2 kids (2 & 4) who loved it too (my son keeps asking to go back)
We hired a babysitters for one night (she works for the hotel "kids playground") she was amazing, brought balloons, books, we were very relax.
The place is close to downtown, we walked everyday..
The place is clean, great service, great location... you won't go wrong.

Room Tip: A place to go for dinner, "La Fenice Restaurant"
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

The hotel is really great, big, beautiful and clean. Food and Drinks are expensive at the hotel, so I would recommend taking a 10 min walk into the town of Sorrento and dining there.
Other than that they have a great pool area and tennis courts also.

Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

I booked this hotel in December 2010, we stayed on the 3rd of September 2011 for 1 week, 2 adults a 3 yr old and a 3 month old baby. We were attending a family wedding. I was checked in by Alexandro. We had been up from 3.30am this was 3pm. My wife and I both worked for a large British Tour Operator for over 7 years, living overseas for 5 years, dealing with hotel reservations everyday. I felt that Alexandro looked at us as a young couple with kids and thought he could put us in a room that is hard to sell.

I booked a Triple Family Sea View.

I was checked in room 348, we went up to the room, we had the baby in the pram, we had to take her out of the pram because it wouldn't fit into the lift!!!! I went into room 348 and it had a double ( 2 singles pushed together) and 2 single beds and a cot for the baby, unfortunately it only had a window! No balcony!!!

I went back down to reception and was told by Alexandro that I was given the room that I booked. I told him what I had booked and that he had given me a room for 4 and not 3. He checked the computer and took me to look at another room on the other side of the hotel looking onto the gardens. It didn't suit us. I booked the Hilton because it had triple family sea view rooms and also a kids club for the 3 year old. Alexandro, treated me with little or no respect, he blamed me for booking my holiday with the Hilton direct, 'if you had of booked with us you would have got the room you wanted'. There are 3 rooms in this hotel that don't have a balcony or terrace they are 348, 248, 448. You can clearly see them from the pool area. Anyway, back to reception and still no joy from Alexandro, so I decided to raise my voice slightly as more people were checking in, another receptionist got involved and again insisted that it was the only room I was getting. We were here for a family wedding, do you really think I would take a 3 month old baby with reflux on holiday if I didn't have too. We were going to be back in the room early every night to sit on the balcony and enjoy the view etc.

Things only changed when I went to the room and got my booking confirmation clearly showing my triple family sea view, finally I was taken to room 345 3 doors down from 348 to a triple family sea view, it was available all the time only they didn't want to give it to me, because I was young, Alexandro thought he could give me the room nobody wanted...... No explaination was given to us, at this stage I just wantd to get on with my holiday, it took 2 hrs for them to give me what I booked....

For families with children make sure you get a room at the restaurant part of the hotel as otherwise you wll have to dismantle your pram everytime you go to the out of your room, as this is the smallest lift in the world and they have family rooms using this lift, poorly layed out.
The kids club is next to the kids pool with steps and no ramp, more step to get to the lift, the other part of the hotel and pool area has ramps and a large lift for families, its not layed out properly.

OK, here comes the positives, great room, amazing breakfast, good pizzas from the pool bar, Maria in the kids club was great with our 3 year old, good pool staff. Hotel is well maintained, 10 mins to the main street.

Negatives- 7€ for a glass of beer, 5€ for a tin of coke. very expensive to eat or drink around the pool, just drop the prices a little and I would spend more money. Instead I went like most people to the fruit shop down round the corner, it's the first shop you meet going into town. Beers for 1€ instead of 7€!!

On my 2nd last day I was to complain about my problem with check in and the lift etc to be told it's too late now complaining, I given them the opportunity to resolve my complaint before leaving the hotel and they didn't want to know.
My experience working for a large tour operator, tells me to resolve the problem before leaving.

We have written to Hilton direct and received a email telling us that they will investigate and get back to us within 72 hrs, that was 5 days ago......

Great location and hotel but not suitable for families with small children.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Leo204
HiltonPR, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear Leo204,

I trust you have received our response also through Hilton Guest Assistance.

As our Front Desk Manager was absent last week, only now I was able to complete my investigation:

Indeed you booked a triple family sea view room, unfortunately all rooms of this category are located in the same wing of the building, which is served by a smaller elevator and by a service lift where an open pram can easily fit in case of necessity.
From our experience, a triple room is not very comfortable to fit 4 people, especially for seven nights, hence the intention to upgrade you to a quadruple room.
Once you manifested the disappointment with the room originally allocated to you, our Front Desk Manager, Franco Di Maio, showed you various solutions on both sides of the hotel until you selected room 345 prioritizing the access to a balcony and the view rather than the accessibility with a pram.

Also as mentioned by yourself, during your weeks stay, at no time did you express discontent with the room assignment until the day before departure, and at that point there was objectively very little we could have done.

Concerning the access to the pool, we have 2 different ways of access, one with steps as per your pictures, and one only with ramps, as per the pictures attached. Again I am sorry you did not address this inconvenience to any of the staff as it would have been easily resolved during your stay.

Thank you for the nice comments about the breakfast, the pizza and our kid’s club.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento. That way, I will ensure that my email is not only our philosophy, but gets pragmatically put into practice.

With kind regards,

Paolo Pedrazzini
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

The hotel is amazingly modern--everything remote control from the bed! Pool is fantastic. View of Vesuvius is awesome. Food selection on executive level, excellent. The walk to Via del Corso (shopping and restaurants) is easy, although the return is uphill, but not bad. Restaurants in Sorrento generally do not open til 7 for dinner.
We arrived by hydrofoil (fun and beautiful scenery) from Naples and taxied from the harbor to the hotel (too far to walk).
Sorrento is a great base for day trips to Pompeii, Naples, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast. Great public transportation system permits easy and inexpensive access to these surrounding areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

We only stayed one night. Check in and out was speedy and efficient. The room had a seaview and was bright and airy with a large balcony and all amenities worked fine. We had dinner that night and it was very good on a lovely terrace looking out across the bay. It was quite expensive but that's Sorrento. Breakfast was also excellent with a wide range of hot food and eggs and waffles cooked to order. We didn't have time to indulge in the pool area but it looked lovely.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at the Hilton Sorrento Palace at the beginning of this month for 5 nights and had a great stay. We were upgraded to a sea view room on the 4th floor which gave us great views of Mount Vesuvius. The room was clean and bright, the staff very friendly. Breakfast was varied and the highlight was the orange juice-making machine: the freshly squeezed orange juice was delicious!! We did not dine in any of the restaurants, but one of them (the same were you have breakfast) only caters for people on half board for dinner. The Executive Lounge was really nice, with drinks, canapes and light lunches. The pool in the Lounge is small, but it is quieter than the main pool. The main pool is also nice and there are plenty of loungers. The hotel is a 15-minute walk from the town centre and the bus station and you can walk from the bus station to the hotel. We would definitely go back there!

Room Tip: Fourth or fifth floor
1 Thank BSwan_11