“Unbelievably wonderful”

Hilton Sorrento Palace
Ranked #33 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed twice at this incredible hotel during our tour of Italy this past May. Since then I have often thought about how absolutely perfect these experiences were. I have tried unsuccessfully to find the contact information for the general manager to express our thanks but will use this venue instead. I'm Hilton Diamond and so got the perks that go along with that status but honestly I don't think my opinion would change under any circumstances. The facilities are beautiful, the honors executive room the best ever and the staff everywhere at the hotel were incomparable in their level of quality service, friendliness, hospitality and source of information. Frankly, I wish I was there at this moment. If you go I encourage you to take advantage of the walking paths available from the front door of the hotel up the mountain. You will not be disappointed no matter how you decide to enjoy your stay at this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,491)

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We were looking for a relaxing stop following a tour of Rome and this hotel didnt disappoint, we had booked a sea view room and what a view, the room appeared to have been recently decorated and the old TV was the only thing that stood out, but 2 days into our stay it was changed for a 40 plasma - result. The 5 interconnecting pools were lovely, 4 being 1.5m deep and plenty of beds, although as always the best get taken/reserved early - disappointing the indoor pool not open in the summer.

The breakfast was great, good choice and the fresh orange juice from their gardens is lovely, only issue is the queue for omlette or crepes, but worth the wait.

Some people complained about the walk to the town, well I say, if you booked a hotel on the edge of town expect a walk!!, to us it made a refreshing and well needed exercise

Only gripe is the parking, very limited street parking and £12 a day parking charge if you have a car - far too expensive.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must, 2nd floor upwards
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Just returned from this hotel. Firstly the good points 1. Foyer and bar area lovely. 2. View from restaurant and pool stunning. 3. Pool area really lovely too 4. A lot of choice for breakfast and food great although you haven't got to be shy and if you wait to be asked if you want coffee etc you will wait forever. 5. Staff generally helpful and friendly. Now for the 'but'. I am not picky and don't expect much but I have to say that I was very disappointed with the room. I must have been given the worst room in the hotel as basically it looked onto a road and a wall. I tried to upgrade to a room with a sea view (ours was apparently a 'mountain view room') but was told there were no rooms available! Very disappointing. Room was clean but basic for a Hilton. Tv very old fashioned but they are upgrading them. No tea and coffee making facilities. Safe was extremely basic and small, and not really secure. Nothing in minibar but water although there are vending machines next to lifts where you can buy drinks and snacks. Also it was very noisy on a night. Doors banging really loudly. You could hear every footstep and word people were saying in the hall and I could even hear people walking around in the room above! One last thing, beware of salad bar in the poolside restaurant. We went for something to eat at about 5.30 one evening and I got the salad. When I went to get it there were flies all over the tuna and the eggs. I called over the waitress and pointed this out. They did deal with it swiftly taking the salad away and gave me a free glass of wine (which I didn't ask for and hadn't made a fuss) but this isn't the type of thing you expect from this class of hotel. Having stayed in Hiltons in Florida this hotel is nowhere near their standards so don't book it thinking because it is a Hilton you are getting something special; you are not. What it is though is a good, european standard 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 9 August 2012

There is no doubt that this is an hotel that is "run" by the staff. Depending on who you encounter, you get a completely different result. The number of people I heard complaining at Reception, who were then given "short-shrift" during our week there was ridciulous. I, on the other hand, got a courtesy room on our last day, without a problem, which was incredibly helpful.

I asked (in writing, twice) for a refurbished room above Floor 5. I didn't even get a reply, and I knew when we arrived and he saw my name that we were not going to get one, even if there was one available!

The staff at the pool bar were pleasant and helpful, as they were on the Terrace in the evenings.
Breakfast has been written about beofre, and clearly the management tak eno notice. To have one chef doing fresh eggs is ludicrous, 20 minutes waiting, so I gave up after that. One morning they had the poor woman doing both eggs and waffles and pancakes - Bella - you're the hardest working person there.

Hotel prices for drinks were very high, but I guess you expect that. I wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask (nicely) for a refurbished room above Floor 5!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonPR, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear MJCTraveller,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property and for your positive thoughts on the pool Bar Staff.
As far as your room is concerned, I would like to explain that all rooms on sixth and seventh floor are Executive Rooms and Executive Suite, hence they need to specifically be purchased in advance. I would, however, appreciate if you could let me know to whom you sent your requests to in order to fully investigate the matter.

With regards to the other comments, I carefully read all of your impressions and I will personally discuss them with the relevant Management Team.

I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your stay and even sorrier that you did not try to contact me directly, so that I could have addressed your concerns in person and made your stay more enjoyable and pleasant.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that we can provide you with exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Paolo Pedrazzini
Hilton Sorrento Palace

Reviewed 8 August 2012

We stayed at the property for the second time for 4 nights at the end of June. From the staff to the room, everything met and exceeded our expectations. We booked a king seaview room for our honeymoon and were not disappointed. Please do yourself a favor and book a seaview room. It is well worth the extra few dollars. The view of Mt. Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples will leave you inspired and awestruck. Simply beautiful. The room itself was a good size and very modern with all of your controls for lights and window shades located right next to the bed. We didn't even have to get up to see the sunrise. Just hit a button and the shades were opened right up! Upon arrival we were also upgraded to an executive floor room which allowed us to go into the lounge for cocktails and appetizers each day. It is really a great touch and a change from what we had 4 years ago. Lastly, the pool area was large but you were able to find a private little area no matter how busy...loved it. All in all we will definitely stay here again as it has a very special place in our hearts. Thank you again to all of the staff who made our wedding and honeymoon so special. Hope you still have the pens!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I have only one complaint about this hotel, and that is that the indoor swimming pool was closed during my visit. Other than that the hotel was everything i wanted it to be. It's a 5 minute walk from the local shopping area, which is a good place to get a cheap dinner.
The hotel itself was in good condition and clean. I had a beautiful view of Vesuvius from my large balcony. The beds were too comfortable for my own good. I could have spent my whole holiday sleeping in them. The outdoor pool was wonderful and large. It was just wonderful and i would reccomend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Buy a room with a view. It's worth the extra money and you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The Hilton Sorrento palace in Sorrento italy is a absolutely wonderful hotel. They have 2 executive lounges which i highly recommend the one on the 7th floor has a infinity pool with a great view, one of the best. The one on the second floor was only food and beverage. I recommend a room on the 6th floor great view with fireworks almost every night. It is a good size walk into town no more than a mile or so.
The Hilton has an exercise room a indoor pool and a larger outdoor pool plus tenis and a spa with an area for kids. I highly recommend this hotel however staying in a smaller local hotel is nice too.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 6th floor they are the nicest available if you get the executive lounge.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family