“Wonderful experience in early April '14” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sorrento Palace

Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Atlanta
“Wonderful experience in early April '14”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Our stay at this hotel was a wonderful experience and was an added bonus to our enjoyment of Sorrento! Every member of the staff treated us like we were the only guests at the hotel and they met every need. Although not a requirement for us to be satisfied, the entire staff was proficient in English. The actual room was not furnished luxuriously but our top floor executive room was exceptionally clean and quiet and had a 180 degree-plus view of Sorrento, the bay of Naples and Mt Vesuvius. The entry inside our room, the closet area and bathroom were huge and the bathroom had a large tub and seperate shower. I must note that the top floor executive rooms are nearly twice the size of the standard rooms and the extra money required to secure a sea view is a must since the rooms on the opposite side of the hotel face a cliff and are on the driveway. Ask for a room as high as possible since the hotel is only seven stories high and the higher rooms offer superior views. We slept with the sliding door wide open every night and there were no bugs to worry about. The cleaning staff was exceptional and our hardwood floor was cleaned every day and the room always smelled new and fresh. The room also had mini-fridge and small safe and the wireless internet service was fast. We were the only people who used the workout room each day and there is an adequate variety of aerobic machines. The pool area is extensive and the lobby, bar and dance area were appointed in beautiful white marble. The executive lounge offered a full-function coffee, espresso, cappucchino machine and breakfast, snacks, happy hour treats, white and red wine and Prosecco from 7am until 11am. The view from the expansive executive deck and pool area was the finest I have ever experienced and I have many exotic trips to compare. Thank you! We will definately recommend your hotel to friends and anyone who reads this review.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

4 Thank Property1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel as part of a conference plus a couple of extra days and enjoyed it, primarily due to the great service. It is located about 10 minutes walk from the central piazza and has good facilities but the friendly and helpful staff really made it for us. The best service I can recall in a major hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Andrew T
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

As we visited Sorrento in March I chose this hotel for its indoor pool. I was glad I did partly due to wet weather and the fact the pool was large, quiet and very clean. The outdoor pool was looking lovely for those of yup travelling this summer. The hotel was large, clean and slightly impersonal which we like. The buffet breakfast was of good quality but no variety from be day to another.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Debs593
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

While I can't say it's an awful hotel, there isn't much charm to be had here. It is very geared toward the businessman on holiday with family and for the money I'd really suggest trying other places.
Small rooms all packed tightly together and no ambience t be had - you could be in any town in the world and it has the character of a short, fast city break than a relaxing time in Italy. I think one word would describe it - sterile.
Serves a purpose and the kids facilities are admittedly very good, but for a decent and enjoyable trip, this place isn't for me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FatCrow
HiltonSorrentoPalace, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear FatCrow,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. We believe travel websites to be a powerful tool, as it is useful for us to grow and better understand how to continually improve our levels of service.

I am sorry you did not appreciate the hotel atmosphere. We accept the fact that Sorrento offers different Hotels for different experiences.

I would really welcome the opportunity to discuss your comment more in depth. Should you wish to do so you may contact me at rrohi_gm@hilton.com.

With kind regards,

Paolo Pedrazzini
Novato, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

The property is located up above the city of Sorrento, with gorgeous views of the Bay of Naples, the city of Sorrento and Mt. Vesuvius off in the distance. While not facing west the sunset views are beautiful. Large, modern rooms with huge bathrooms and beds. Simple wonderful!

Although I didn't use the pools or gym based on the hotel amenities I would expect them to be 5 stars as well. Dinner was fantastic even with having to deal with the bottle of wine the "turned". Service, from front desk to check out and all in between was top notch. Awesome buffet for breakfast too.

This hotel is a great place to stay if you want to visit Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi and Paestum (largest intact Greek ruins outside of Greece!). Don't be too afraid...rent a car and get the "super Insurance" just in case you have any car damage (I hit a small stone parking pillar :-)..my bad). Regardless, if you want a fantastic hotel, stay here.

I used accrued Hilton points from business travel to cover the room which is exactly why I save them up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, not facing the mountain.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank xraystokes
HiltonSorrentoPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Xraystokes,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your experience at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.

We are so glad to read that our services & facilities met your expectations and look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion.

Kind regards
Tina Vespoli
PA to GM & DBD
Laredo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

First this review is about 8 months late. We stayed is the middle of July. I stayed in a quadruple garden view with my husband, daughter and son. The room was a good size for all four of us. As a diamond member we had access to the executive lounge. The food and service in the executive lounge was ok, but the view was beautiful. You can order off a menu if you would like to have lunch or dinner there. We tried a few items off their lunch menu which were pretty good but, the dinner menu was limited and didn't work for us since I have sea food allergies and no children's menu for my son. They have a different lounge on the 7th floor but, you need to be on that floor to us it. :(

The pool area and the gardens are beautiful. The pool service is pretty good with waiters/waitresses going around taking orders for drinks. The water was a little on the cold side for me.

The service ranged from ok to good, no complaints. The hotel is on a hill thus requires a 10 to 15 minutes walk into town, not a problem if your in decent shape. You can find some nice shops and restaurants in town so worth the effort and you can always take a taxi back to the hotel.

Would I return to the Sorrento Palace? I'm not sure, with the points devaluation that took place last spring I've turned a wondering eye to other hotels such as the Hyatt and SPG programs.

Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Nin10
Marietta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here in late February 2014, this was the first stop on a 2 week tour of Italy for my husband's 40th birthday and we were at the Hilton for 3 nights.
Check-in was quick and easy and I liked Hans very much. We had had a very bad travel day through Naples and I was a little concerned with the reception we would get due to a few unfortunate emails I had exchanged with the hotel prior to the trip. But Hans was cool and friendly and when he referenced the emails he did so with a sly grin...I thought he was cool. He was also there the next morning and was very helpful again. So not a people problem, I'll get that out of the way. Everyone we encountered was kind and professional. Except the guy at the front desk the day with left. We had to talk to him twice and, both times, he immediately told us no to our requests. After we would question why it was a no when we had read the guest book and it could be done, he'd talk to someone else and then do what we had asked him to do to begin with.
The room was unimpressive. It's a Hilton, there should be something about it that I won't find at other places, something elegant or original. There was nothing. The stuff on the floor, I don't know what that is...not carpet, not tile, not wood...more like textured plastic? It felt like you would hose it off over vaccuuming it. The furniture is modular, pine colored. You get a modular cabinet for a closet. Fabric headboard and standard sheets, pillows...the bedding was barely par. Towels were threadbare. And the previous occupents cigarette butts on the balcony? Gross. They were on a table, not the ground so it's not like they were overlooked. The bathroom was eeh and dirty. I wanted to make sure I was telling the truth in my review so, on the last morning, I scratched the stuff in the shower that I thought was mold on the grout to make sure it just wasn't a stain and it came off. If I can scratch it off with no effort, it can be cleaned easily. There was no air conditioning, we slept with the balcony door open every night.
Best thing about the room? The view, it's gorgeous! You can see down to the rooftops of Sorrento, the entire Bay of Naples, the expanse of Naples around the bay, majestic hills and ridges, and Mt. Vesuvius looming it over it all and reminding you how fragile everything really is. It's amazing!
I think this property needs a major facelift! They were doing renovations while we were there (not a bad thing, it was off season and I expect that kind of stuff) but it didn't look like anything near what I imagine would make it perfect. New furniture, new flooring, new fixtures and tubs in the bathroom...rip it all out and replace it. Policies need to be updated as well. The free internet is wired. What am I goona do with a LAN wire and my smart phone or tablet? But they are equiped for WiFi and for only 8 Euro a night, you can get a user name and password and welcome back to this decade! Make the WiFi free!!! It does not cost you any more money Hilton CEO and it might have made me a little happier with your less than average property!
Seemed like it was well equiped for meetings and conventions though, so let those people keep it and find another hotel in Sorrento.
Oh, I did want to clarify this as well. I read a few reviews on Tripadvisor before we picked this hotel and a few people had me worried about the walk up the hill from town to the hotel. A few people were saying it was a pretty tough climb. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'm not an athletic person and I'm almost 40. It's not a joy at the end of a long day and the entire walk from the Marina to the Hilton is uphill, but if I can do it, most people can do it. Don't let the hill discourage you...let the dirty grout do that!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Risasmom0475
Dear Risasmon0475,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property. Guests comments, whether positive or negative are always welcome and remedial actions are taken whenever possible.

Thank you for your positive comments on Hans, I have immediately conveyed him your appreciation for his service and professionalism, which contribute so much to customer satisfaction.
All your comments about the cleaning and conditions of the hotel have been discussed amongst the Executive Team and wherever possible appropriate actions have been taken.
We appreciate the opportunity to hear our Guests’ opinion concerning our property and take this as constructive feedback that can help us better our service. As you have already been realized during your stay, the hotel is involved in some refurbishing and renovation works.
I would be delighted if you chose to return to our property and would appreciate if you contacted me should you wish to arrange your next holiday in Sorrento.

With kind regards,