“Amazing Views and Pool offset the negatives”

Hilton Sorrento Palace
Ranked #32 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
“Amazing Views and Pool offset the negatives”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fantastic pool area with amazing views!!
Average rooms, but have everything you need.
Good food, which is overpriced but expect this. Great choice at breakfast.
Low point - on arrival (at 11pm) we were "greeted" by Alessandro who was cold and unfriendly and gave us no information about the hotel and its facilities. We had to find everything for ourselves. When checking us in he said "Unfortunately you have a room facing the mountain" - actually we didnt mind this, but he put a negative slant on it as soon as we had arrived. As others have said, there is no privacy on the balconies, but as no-one seems to use them it wasnt a problem.
High point- gentleman on the bar named Guiseppe was friendly and attentive. The cleaning staff were also friendly.
Its a 10-15minute walk into the centre (uphill on the return) which got alittle tiring as the week went on, but this is the price you pay for the amazing views. We have previously stayed at the exquisite, centrally located, Grand Hotel La Favorita which has impeccable, personable service, but nomatter how amazing the service/decor is, it just cannot compete with the views here at the Hilton.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent 4 days in Sorrento at this hotel. I was a little hesitant to stay at a large chain hotel in Italy (I assumed it would lack some of the charm and personal touches we look for when traveling in Europe). But we loved every part of our stay. I thought the staff was very helpful even when corresponding through email before we took the trip.

We DID shell out the extra money for an executive room and our room was beautiful. Beds were comfortable and air conditioning worked GREAT. I know these rooms are much pricier but we booked them during an internet sale. Considering that you can eat/drink for free pretty much all day long in the Settimo club, I think the extra price is worth it. However, I did prefer the "regular" pool to the rooftop pool. The rooftop pool was small and barely waste deep. The other pool was huge and still had great views and a great atmosphere and plenty of chairs for the guests.

The biggest downside is the location. It is about a 15 minute walk to the main part of town (and the walk back is largely up hill). With luggage, that would be a bear but we chose to take a taxi from the train station. The other days, we considered it an opportunity to work off the extra food and drink.

We loved our stay at this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristen950
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have just arrived back from 10 days in Sorrento, which was wonderful, our first time in Italy, & we will definitely return & stay again at the Hilton! The staff, cleanliness & ameneties were great, you couldn't fault it, (brilliant pool,) the only thing I would say is although we were staying B&B status, we had lunch a couple of times around the pool area, & found the prices rather expensive, but I suppose it is a Hilton!
The walk into Sorrento town, took around 15mins, which is nice as it's all down hill, so be prepared when you come back!

Room Tip: We chose to have a cliff facing room, as a pool side room would have cost another £300, & didn...
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Excellent facilities, great food, and caring staff and a short walk only to the main town. Ideally located with superb views over the bay of Naples and Vesuvius. Lots to do in the surrounding area including Capri & Pompei.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Leslie M
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Location, just outside the centre. Lugging the suitcases through the town centre up the hill was quite exhausting in the afternoon sun, but a taxi from the port costs 20 euros so we decided to hike it.The 1 euro lift to the top of the cliff helped though!

We are a young couple, but with sight seeing all day and dining in the town centre at night, that 15 min walk up the hill to the hotel was still a mission, so older/less fit people beware! Train station 10 min walk or 20 euro taxi from hotel. The hotel is just close enough to do without a shuttle bus but still be a bit of an effort of a walk.

When checking in the staff were very helpful and spoke good English.

Breakfast was good. Extensive buffet selection if a bit luke warm. Egg station and fresh waffles.

We paid extra for a sea view room. We found that we were based on the side of the hotel with a 'token gesture' sea view, but we were over looking Mt Vesuvius, so we weren't too disappointed.

The room was good for our needs. Decent bathroom. We had 2 single beds connected together rather than a double which isn't what you would expect of a Hilton.

Pool area is decent. Although we spent much of our time away from the hotel there was plenty of sunbeds for choice when returning in the afternoon.

Pool service was ok. We had to ask rather than be asked for any food or drink, but they were most receptive when approached. Food was average and overpriced.

Bar prices were very expensive compared to the surrounding area, but I guess this is expected.

Wifi was 7.50 euro for 24hrs or you could get it free in the lobby.

MONEY SAVING TIPS:

Organised tours along Amalfi coast cost with the hotel around 100 euro pp. We caught the Sita bus from the train/bus station for 6.80 pp for all day hop on/ hop off service. Although it's a bit busier and we had to stand for some of the journey, the money saved was worth it.
Pompeii and Vesuvius cost around 80 euro with the hotel. We did it for 37 euro pp all in using the train, and did everything on our terms rather than a timetabled guided tour.

In summary, this is good hotel with decent staff and good facilities. It is not necessarily the best Hilton we have stayed in but served our needs for a memorable trip.

If you want a two minute walk home at night then don't stay here. If you would like lovely hotel surroundings with a bit of a walk then give this place a go.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank EP1982
La Grange, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Wow where do I begin! I used close to 300,000 points ...yes that's right for a 3 night stay with my family. When we arrived they showed us to the basement...I am not kidding! I have included pictures! Yes this is how they reward their prized guests who frequent Hiltons all the time, yep this is the payoff at 300,000 points, the basement. The view was of the garage below. Huge safety factor involved here too, If your kids were little and climbed onto the short wall that surrounded our balcony (yes a balcony that is below level) they would fall approx 50 feet to a sure death. I went upstairs to complain to the manager, I thought this can't be right. but yes it was and he was happy to show me another room, this one viewed the back rock wall behind the hilton. I have never been to the Amalfi Coast, and I am pretty sure we all come for the view, but in my case I guess not! I even added one extra night due to a flight being canceled and paid the full rate and yep they kept all of us in the basement. The manager told me he would follow up with me and you guessed it....he never did! The sad part is this hotel has amazing views and the only was we saw this was at breakfast and then if we wanted a $20 drink on the terrace. Another thing to note is the free Wi-Fi. Only free in the lobby. We were in Italy for 2 weeks and stayed at beautiful hotels and Wi-Fi was free in our rooms every hotel we stayed in. Come on Hilton get your act together! We paid $400 for the one night and then 300,000 points and we can't have free Wi-Fi? The I tried to hire a car from Naples to Sorrento through the Hilton and I asked 4 times if we could get something more reasonable then 198 euro, he wrote me back and told me to take the train! I hired my own car for my family at 100 euro through Aequalimo and Stefano. He was wonderful! There are better places! Choose wisely!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank birthdaymagic
HiltonSorrentoPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear La Grange,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your experience at our property.

We are strong believers that platforms like Tripadvisor are excellent tools as they are useful for us to grow and better understand how to continually improve our levels of service.
In our hotel, we have different accommodation with different rates for a wide range of room type and view options.
As we have already explained in our previous correspondence, your reservation was made for 3 people in a room with no view, only at check-in we were able to see that you are a family of 2 adults and 2 children, hence needing a quadruple accommodation. Our Front Desk Team Member offered you a comfortable room (room number 43) and once you expressed your dissatisfaction for the view of this room, even if the hotel was almost sold out being June one of the months of peak season, they offered you another room at a higher floor, the fifth floor, which you denied. Unfortunately, no other rooms were available during your stay also due to a limited supply of rooms which can accommodate 4 people.
Please rest reassured that it is our primary goal to recognize our most loyal guests as it shows also in the our guest satisfaction surveys where we score over 75% in delivery for HHonors benefit and over 80% in room upgrade, which is granted every time there is availability. Of course allocation priority is granted to our Diamond and Gold members first. Unfortunately in high season it is not always possible to satisfy every upgrade request.
Regarding the balcony, I can assure you that it reflects all International safety regulations with a minimum height of mt. 1.2. Of course every balcony, despite its location in the building, requires extra attention for the children, which is the same attention we all parents must pay even at home. In this case we can say, the better the view (usually higher floors have better views), the more dangerous the balcony becomes.
The cost for a transfer with private car from the hotel to Naples is € 99,00, per way, which is cheaper than a taxi ride which usually costs around € 120,00. I am happy to hear you were able to rent your own car at a more reasonable cost.
We would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Hilton Sorrento Palace and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that we can provide you with exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Tina Vespoli
PA to GM & DBD
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The rooms are just ok and not deserving of the palace name. We had a "view room on the mountain side". This meant that we could see something other than the air conditioning system. No matter since we would not have spent time on the balcony in any event. The balconies lack any type of privacy from the neighboring rooms. There is very little to absorb the noise since the carpeting is plastic and the doors are set to make a loud noise when they are closed. Even if you try you can't be considerate of your neighbors. The a/c is set by the hotel rather than the guest. Our room must have been vacant for a few days before we arrived so the initial temperature was 26. We called the desk to report that the unit would not turn on and they advised that they turn it on about 30 minutes after you check in. Even when the system was on we had no control and the room got colder every day. After 3 days it was colder than we wanted but we could not move the temperature up. The safe is the least secure I have ever encountered. It is in the minibar and not tied down in any way. When you are loading or unloading the safe the frig door is open. You have to get a key from the front desk to use it. The walk to town is ok if you are not walking around all day and wearing comfortable shoes but they should open the conference doors so guests don't have to circle the hotel to get in.

On the positive side, the executive lounge view is fabulous. It is a very nice place to relax and enjoy before dinner. The food offerings are a bit on the light side and generally not very healthy. The prosecco is out from 7 am to 10 pm which is very generous and it is nice to be able to stop in for a tea/coffee or water without charge. We were surprised that people were able to smoke in the lounge since we were told the hotel was non-smoking.

We had dinner at the hotel one night and it was ok but overpriced as you would expect at a hotel.

To sum it up I would not stay at the hotel again if I was in the area unless I was able to utilize points and even then I am not so sure.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a view since the balconies are not worth sitting on. If you have lounge acces...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonSorrentoPalace, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Detraveler_7,

Thank you very much for your comments further to your stay at the Hilton Sorrento Palace.
Guests comments, whether positive or negative are always welcome and remedial actions are taken whenever possible. We appreciate the opportunity to hear our Guests’ opinion concerning our property and take this as constructive feedback that can help us better our service.
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the spectacular view over the Gulf of Naples and the Mount Vesuvius and experienced the service and the benefits of our Lounge.

I would be delighted if you chose to return to our property and would appreciate if you contacted me should you wish to arrange your next holiday in Sorrento.

With kind regards,