“Nice, clean but basic hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Sorrento Palace

Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Nice, clean but basic hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here in June 2014. Good location although at the top of quite a steep hill and at 6 months pregnant did become tiring at times in the heat. The pool area was very nice and the staff friendly. We did feel disappointed with the room however, it wasn't anywhere as nice as the pictures show on their website, very basic and quite dark. It was clean though which is the main thing!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HiltonSorrentoPalace, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 10 October 2014
Dear Kristy F,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts on our property. Your feedback is important to us, as we are always striving to improve and be our absolute best as well as meet every Guests needs and desires.

It was a pleasure to read you and your husband enjoyed the location of our Hotel as well as the pool and all the Team to be friendly and welcoming! We were very glad you came to spend your holiday with us! I was surprised to read that you were disappointed with your room allocation and regret not being contacted while you were staying with us to address these concerns immediately.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in our Hotel and would appreciate it immensely if you would contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that I can assist in your room selection and we can provide you with the exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our Hotel year after year!

The Team and I remain at your complete disposal.

Kind Regards,

Paolo Pedrazzini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hillsdale, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The walk down the steep hill was very disappointing. We love Sorrento & had to walk two times a day up & down the steep hill. We kept seeing shuttles from so many hotel dropping people off right at the beginning of town & then coming back to pick people up. The breakfast is great. The free wi-fi did not work well in the lobby at all. If you wanted it in your room you had to pay for it.
If you plan to stay at a hotel & enjoy their great pool then this place is for you & if you don't mind the steep hill you will be happy here. Next time I would get a hotel closer to the action. I was kind of surprised whe I did not see much information about

Room Tip: Many families stay here & we heard it is noisy if you stay anywhere near the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
Dear Pat T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay at our Hotel. Our Guests’ comments are always welcome and remedial actions are taken whenever possible. We appreciate the opportunity to hear our Guests’ opinion concerning our property and take this as constructive feedback that can help us better our service and facilities. I was happy to read you thought our breakfast and pool were great!

As you can see from the various comments of our property, there are diverging opinions concerning our location, some very favorable and others less favorable. From my personal, daily experience, the walk to the Hotel from the center of town is not a long trek up a steep mountain side, but rather a 10 minute, gradual, slight incline with sidewalks on either side of the street and street lamps in the evening. However, I do understand, this depends on your walking speed and what you consider to be the town center.

Shuttles are offered from hotels residing a much greater distance from the town of Sorrento and ones that rest well above our hotel on the mountain side. Google Maps takes into consideration the slower walkers, and offers what would be a slow walking speed time from 1 point to another. If you look up the distance from our Hotel to Corso Italia in the Center of Old Town Sorrento, it suggests this walk is 700 meters and will take 8 minutes. We are generous in telling guests it will be an extra 2 minutes to make the walk.

Please rest assured that Management takes all comments very seriously and is open to any confrontation and compromise to reasonably accommodate all our Guests and this is why we have so many clients returning to our Hotel year after year. I remain at your disposal for any further clarification or assistance.

Kind Regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Travelled Jul 2014 with family of 5 (2ad, 14, 12 and 6 yr), stayed for 7 nights.
We arrived by a hired car from Rome to Sorrento (stopped 1.5 hrs out of Rome for 2 nights enroute).

Staff at the front desk are very obliging and helpful with their knowledge of the area and organising, recommending tours etc. You know if an activity was booked through the Hilton one would expect the operators they use would be reputable - and they were.

There were a couple of things we approached the Hilton reception staff that we thought they couldn't do but to our surprise call they did it with no problems at all.
All the reception staff were fantastic, but I would like to single out Francesca - she was awesome!

We had 2 interconnecting partial seaview rooms initially than moved down to 'T' level floors (rooms with a Terrace on the almost ground level). The rooms were modern, clean with plenty of space. Bathroom amenities were great equipped with large towels- loved their bathroom toiletries too. Having had experienced 2 different positions of the rooms located in the hotel, our preference would be for the Terrace level rooms as the partial seaview room balcony was a bit daunting for us with our 6 yr old. In fact we found the Terrace rooms were slightly larger and they are less in price too, so happy with that result.

If you have breakfast included, it is located on the 2nd floor - very large room full of round tables, different sizes with a large buffet and spoilt for choice with freshly made waffles, pancakes, omelettes, plus huge selection of pastries, proper Italian coffee, hot chocolates.... you could also choose to have your breakfast on the terrace located outside (which would be my choice). It's sunny but smaller scale compared to the large room where most of the hotel patrons are eating.

The swimming pool was a huge success with our kids - 8 pools (different sizes, all 1.5M depth - 6 yr old had not problem) cascading from one to the other. They were sliding down the cascades and pulling each other up from the pool below. Plus there was a shallower pool for the littlies and near there was the kids club. They were not obtrusive or forced the kids to join in - I think because of that, the kids did join in on some pool games and some crafty activities under cover by the pool.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel - the menu was too restrictive for the kids and on the pricey side for children. We decided to walk to town - 10 mins away and try the many restaurants in Sorrento. We tended to ask the hotel for recommendations as a guide to ourselves.
We tended to have lunch in the casual restaurant by the pool. The lunch menu was more extensive in choice with a Sorrento view in the distance kept us by the pool for most of our visit.

We were given a tip by a friend who'd stayed there a few weeks before to go on a private boat trip along the coast. We hired through Hilton Reception staff, a boat which can take upto 7 people. We decided to aim for Positano instead of Capri (my husband and I had been there before 18yrs ago). The operator picks you up from the hotel and takes you to a little port 15 mins outside of Sorrento. Leave between 9-10am and they bring you back to the hotel by 6pm.
It was the best thing we could have done - one of the highlights of our family trip!

We went to Pompeii with the kids by train - about 30 mins. Walked to Sorrento train station - a good 10 min walk going down the hill. The hotel can supply you with the train timetable.
We had seats from Sorrento to Pompeii however it did get cramped on our way thru as there were multiple stops along the route - the train essentially keeps going to Naples, it was standing room only. Nevertheless, we were fine - all part of the cultural experience.
We organised a guide for ourselves and another family we were meeting up with through Hilton Reception staff - the guide meet us at the train station by the exit / ticket counter at Pompeii and spoke very good English with great enthusiasm and knowledge on Pompeii.

It was the train experience from Sorrento to Pompeii which led us to book a private transfer at the end of our stay from the Hilton to Naples Train Station.
In case your wondering and are up for it - It's a 1.5 hr train trip from Sorrento to Naples.

The only disappointing factor about the Hilton was WIFI was only free in the lobby area. Not sure why this day and age.... prior to our Sorrento stop, we stayed in a family run 3* hotel in Rome and WIFI was free in the room, anywhere in the hotel.
Luckily for us we took with us a mobile WIFI modem and bought a sim data only card the moment we landed in Italy, so it wasn't a real problem.

Hilton Sorrento ticked all our boxes and so with that couldn't recommend it enough.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Avidtraveller069
HiltonSorrentoPalace, General Manager at Hilton Sorrento Palace, responded to this review, 7 October 2014
Dear Avidtraveller069,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about our staff in the Front Desk, especially noting Francesca! I have conveyed to her and all Our Team your appreciation for their service and professionalism. Further, thank you for your marvelous comments regarding our rooms, view, breakfast, pools and kids club! We appreciate every word!

Our Guest's feedback is very precious because it enables us to improve our services day after day. It also helps us recognize and reward a job of high quality.

The Team and I remain at your disposal for any further support.
I thank you once again, and look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Hilton Sorrento Palace!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here, and was within walking distance to the main town. The rooms were very basic, but fairly spacious. Pool was nice, but the restaurant pricey. Also happy hour had very limited cocktails included so was a bit misleading.
Balconies very dangerous for anyone with small children, be aware of this when booking!! Some very steep drops in places.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Jag287,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your holiday and I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, especially noting our pool, spacious rooms, and the location of our property!

Regarding the balcony, I can assure you that it reflects all National Safety Regulations with a minimum height of 1.2mt. Of course every balcony, despite its location in the building, requires extra attention for the children, which is the same attention all parents must pay even at home.

We would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in our Hotel and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that we can provide you with exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Service has deteriorated significantly since our last stay 2 years ago. Worst of all is the lack of response to a query after leaving - despite a promise to do so. That said rooms are great, superb views over Bay of Naples and onto Vesuvius. Nice and central to Sorrento.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Neil M
Dear Mr. Neil M,

We apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve. This is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customers’ experience.

Moreover, I shared with our concierge your concerns for the lack of response to your query;
It seems that an email was sent to you on the 14th August, shortly after your departure over the weekend, with the required information.

Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. We thank you again for your feedback.

I would value the opportunity to restore your confidence in our Hotel and would appreciate if you could contact me directly may you wish to come back to Sorrento, so that we can provide you with exemplary service that keeps so many Guests returning to our hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Paolo Pedrazinni

Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Have stayed at many, many Hiltons around the World and have always booked an executive room. So I booked a executive king plus deluxe room. They are two lounges in this hotel, make sure its the top floor one with private pool. I like to have this type of selected freedom you get with the executive lounge and if you can afford it then why not have it. I do like the freedom of having space to oneself and the feeling of having a really good holiday. Plus with the executive lounge you have the on-going snacks, food and drink, although you do have to pay for the privilege of it all. Many Hiltons with regard to the executive area's say they are all the same and follow each other with opening times along with the sort of food and drink they say they supply and are allowed to put out. However its clear they are not all the same (see my Hilton Barcelona review) and in my view the Sorrento Hilton is clearly not. With regard to the room itself, it was a large room with large glass sliding doors to a great little balcony with a view of the Bay of Naples, a large bathroom with a bath and a separate shower with jets to massage your tired body after a day sightseeing in the blazing sun (good start to the holiday). However what a surprise I had in the executive lounge, staff were friendly, for the moaners if your friendly to staff then they are friendly back. Best of all, it has a fantastic large outside sitting area overlooking the city of Sorrento, the bay of Naples. What a lovely time relaxing and having breakfast at your leisure with a great view away from the maddening crowds downstairs. It also has a bathing area with sun loungers and a lovely little pool if you wish to cool down. Again the view from the 7th floor lounge is really magical or it can be romantic if the mood takes you, and it did especially after downing a couple of bottles of champagne. One thing I have noticed is that many Hiltons are now serving executive customers with only wine and beer and have stopped putting out spirits (sign of the times I expect in many of these countries with financial problems). However at this lounge although we did have the usual wine and the beer and soft drinks, but instead of spirits we got wait for it: champagne. Nice touch and well done Mr Manager for this. Just like to state that if you like working out in hotel gyms in contrast, the Sorrento Hilton gym is small with a few machines where the Malta Hilton I have been to many times has a great fitness gym. However best to workout at home and have a relaxing, laid back holiday, well, all I can say its the best Hilton for this along with a great town to explore and a visit to Capri is good and also the other many attractions around. For me its the best Hilton I have stayed at and I have booked again for next June (really can't wait to go back, so keep that champagne chilled guys).

Room Tip: King plus Executive floor with access to the top floor lounge and pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
7 Thank scotty528
Cheers to You Scotty528!

On behalf the entire Hilton Sorrento Palace Team, I want to extend a Huge Thank You! You are a treasured Guest and we are honoured to have you choose to stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on our property and your time spent here.

It was a true pleasure to read your review! I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here over many other hotel experiences you have encountered! Your glowing comments regarding the Executive Rooms, private Settimo Club Lounge, the spectacular (and sometimes romantic) views, and our friendly Staff, are all extremely appreciated!

I can assure you we will have Champagne chilled and waiting for your return in the exclusive Settimo Club Lounge! The Team and I look forward to your next visit in June and remain at your disposal should you need any further assistance.

Until June, Warmest Wishes,

Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This is a fabulous hotel in an amazing setting.
Downside. Coming back up the hill at night.
Upside. Lovely downhill walk into town!

The rooms were stunning and cleaned daily to a high standard with wash clothes being provided as well as toiletries and towels. We couldn't believe this was only rated 4 star as we have stayed in 5 star that was less luxurious and friendly. When we were asked we were told it was mainly because of the standard of the 5 stars in the town which are of an exceptionally high standard.

The staff were brilliant and got to know us and offered tips on food and wine and helped us with our Italian! The area was beautiful and we did many trips although we did space them every other day so we could just enjoy the beautiful hotel, great food and fantastic pool set up. ( you can slide from pool to pool and via waterfalls rather than kids slides)

The local bus and train station are a short walk and easy to use as well as reasonably cheap. Pompeii was a couple of stops on the train as was Herculaneum. We got a coach to Vesuvius but again you get the bus to the drop off and it is really easy to work out. Hotel reception will help you with this. Be careful if getting the train into the centre of Naples, it is not the lovely bit those who go on the cruise ships get to see. There were beggars and very persistent street sellers who almost had my bag and this is the only time I have ever been scared on a holiday.

The bus along the Amalfi drive was worth every penny and it was a very cheap day out! Positano is lovely but very narrow for busses so lots of walking.

There is a great wine bar just outside the town who do a fabulous wine tasting evening- I did get slightly drunk!

The Lemons are mahooooosive, you'll have to go to get what I mean and the local amaretto is worth smuggling home in the case. I recommend the peach variety. Limoncello is also a local speciality. Yum, yum.

The town is a short walk away and comes to life at night- there are some amazing shops, the wood carving is exceptional so remember to take plenty of Euro's.

We got Ferry's to Ischia and Capri and the hotel packed us a lunch on days we wanted to stay out for dinner, which saved money. (The lunch lasted e days and was stored in the mini bar)
The Piano bar staff were amazing and I wish we could have brought our waiter home as we got so attached to him.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol1907
Darling Carol1907,

We are sincerely thankful to you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Sorrento Palace with us! Thank you as well for taking the time to write your brilliant review of your vacation! I am so glad you had such a fantastic holiday!!

It was a true pleasure to read of your enjoyment especially regarding your room and amenities offered, the food, our cascading pool layout, and most important, our charming and helpful Team! Your tips for future Guests are wonderful, sharing information on the local transportation, many day trips and excursions, and the short and easy walk down into town! I wish I knew which waiter in the Sorrento Lounge you were referring too, however I have relayed your kind remarks to the entire Food & Beverage Staff!

I absolutely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you on a return trip to the Hilton Sorrento Palace! The Team and I shall remain at your disposal should you wish to make any future travel arrangements!

Warmest Regards!