“fab hotel”

Ranked #34 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
north yorkshire
“fab hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon about two weeks ago, its was thoroughly enjoyable. We had access to the executive lounge which was definately worth it. The rooms were basic for hilton, although very clean. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The only negative comment is the freezing pool on the executive floor, it was a VERY quick dip. We are definately going to go back, Sorrento its self most very impressive, meals out were expensive but with the euro its not surprising. The walk into town was not far at all and not that steep which some people have commented. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 6 July 2009

There is nothing bad to say about this hotel. From the moment you walk in you are taken care off and you truly feel like a guest, somehting that became unusual in many other hotels I have stayed at.
I loved the personal aspect, your name is mentioned more then once and we were even recognized when we went for a drink one hour later at the bar.
We stayed at executive rooms, which have an amazing view over the bay and the Naples. The rooms are huge and feature all amenities you need and then some.
With the executive floor come the executive lounge. However, this is not just a lounge, it is an entire floor with drinks, hors d'oeuvres, a huge terrase and even a pool. All on the top floor with views that cannot be beaten. The staff is overly friendly whereever you go.
Great job Hilton Sorrento Palace! We had a fabulous stay!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I just returned on July 1, 2009 from a 5 day vacation at the Sorrento Hilton. As a person who travels extensively around the world for my job, I have stayed in many hotels, and have even visited many Hilton properties around the world and within Italy.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give this a 5, primarily because of the rooms. I have stayed in the Hilton Rome, Hilton Molino Stuckey in Venice, and the Hilton in Milan....they all have much better rooms.

Here are some other comments I have about the hotel, I hope it is helpful:

1. The rooms are bare bones minimalist with a decor reminicent of 1979 (brown, organge, etc). No Italian renaissance warmth and comfort here. I was in an upgraded executive floor room (601), and my friend was in a regular room. My view was great overlooking the sea. My friend was looking at the side of a mountain rock. While the executive room was big....it felt empty. There was a king size bed, one leather chair, a rolling aluminum cart with a tv ,and a desk. that is it. The regular room looked like a motel....an exposed closet with no doors and the aluminum tv cart just felt and looked cheap. If you really don't plan to spend any time in the room, I guess you can get over it....but I was disappointed.

One positive is that the place was very clean.

2. Executive floor lounge was not as fabulous as others have written in my opinion. The food was a bit scarce for the amount of people that were up there. If you didn't happen to time your visit to the lounge just right when the food was being placed out..you may not get any. The breakfast buffet was ok..

3. Executive floor "pool" is a tiny lap pool (maybe not even) with a few chairs scattered around it. If you want to be isolated for sun bathing and don't want to swim but rather just want to dip yourself in water and get out immediately...I suppose this will do. I spent my pool time in the regular pool area, which I thought was actually lovely and the best part of the entire hotel. There were five or so separated "pools"...and a separate section for kids where there were hotel attendants playing with them. I really appreicated this separation and it helped to manage the crowds in the pool.

4. The location of the hotel is fine and the 15 minute walk into town is really ok. I was worried that the hill everyone is writing about on the walk back from town was a steep incline, but it really isn't ...after the scary staircase you need to climb to get to and from the marina to catch the ferry to go to Capri, this little incline is nothing! After a long day of sightseeing I can see how you might feel it a bit in the legs, but in my opinion it is not so bad if you are in average shape. If you want to be in a hotel right in town....it will cost you. So the Hilton is a more economic choice in my opinion. I priced the Vittoria Excelsior which is a fancy luxury property right in the heart of the action and it was more than I wanted to spend....so I accepted this walk as part of the cost of a cheaper hotel room.

5. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the hotel responded to my e-mail a few days before my arrival to book my private car pickup at the Naples airport for 99 euros each way. It is about a 45 minute - 1 hr drive, and I was pleased with the car they used (new mercedes sedan) and the service (very punctual, young male drivers but quite cautious and safe).

Overall, I would say that this hotel was clean and acceptable, but I personally don't think I will go back.

I know the Hilton chain can do better than this....I have seen it.

If they renovate this property to the caliber of the Hilton in Venice...I will come back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank LadyCapri
cheshire
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We used Trip Advisor to select this hotel and we were not disappointed. We were looking for a clean well run, high star rating hotel with good food quality, and thats what we got. Our sea view room had a spectacular view of the Bay.
The pool was clean and well run with plenty of sun beds etc. Staff during our week were polite and provided a very good quality of service. Restaurant was well run and the food quality in the evening was particularly good in our view. Breakfast did however have a few problems with small items not being available but nothing to get upset about.
The Standard Room we had was of a good quality however it did not match the high standard of the rest of the Hotel.
The location may present a problem to some as it is slightly out of the centre but a bus service runs from the hotel to the centre of Sorrento up till 9:30pm, the walk back on a hot day is not recommended if you are not reasonable fit. The hotel is very impressive but the walk from the town back to the hotel lets it down slightly, this is not a fault of the hotel just the location.
The hotel did a very impressive evening event where dinner was served beside the hotel indoor pool which if you look at the hotel pictures is themed to reflect the area, it was extremely well done and it was clear to see, most of the guests had cameras to catch the event and the moment as we did.
It was a special occassion for us and we were prepared to pay to get what we wanted, the hotel delivered in the main but it comes at a price, a glass of red wine with dinner will set you back 7 Euros (£7), but it was worth it to us.
Thanks Hilton for a good stay and First Choice for making it possible.

Oz In Rome
Reviewed 2 July 2009

This is the 2nd time we (2 adults and 2 children) stayed in the hotel. Although you no longet get a Bacci chocolate on your pillow each night, everything else is as good as it used to. The breakfast was excellent. The swimming pool, garden and tennis court well manitained. The town is about 5-10 minutes walk away. We had a great time and would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank J_in_Rome
Denver
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My wife, 2 kids, and myself stayed 2 nights at this hotel while exploring Sorrento and Capri.

The public areas like the pool and bar area are nice and have GREAT views of the town and of Mount Vesuvius. It is located reasonably centrally with only about a 5 minute walk down the hill to Sorrento. However, some people might find the walk back up the hill after shopping/exploring Sorrento to be a bit taxing.

We had a "family room" which is one of the few rooms available for 4 people. The room overlooked the pool and had a great view. It was a huge but impersonal room. The room was decorated with orange paint and orange curtains. I felt like I had stepped into a timewarp and went back to 1978. The flooring appeared to be some sort of outdoor carpet attached directly to the conctete floor underneath - very hard. The final issue is our room was near the center of the hotel and you could hear the restaurant staff cleaning up after close - it was very loud. At about 1 in the morning we had enough and complained. The staff quickly took care of the issue by calling on the phone to the offending restaurant. Apparently we weren't the first people to notice this noise. Too bad they did take more permenent measures to address the problem.

The staff was very good and extremely helpful. Except for breakfast we didn't eat at the hotel - Sorrento has far too many great places to eat!

Considering both the pluses and minuses I would probably stay somewhere else when we return to Sorrento.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Swansea, Wales
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Stayed for a week at the Sorrento Palace two weeks ago. Husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our time at the hotel and in and around Sorrento.
Not sure how the hotel compares to others in the chain but we found it comfortable and spotless. We had an executive room which had a fantastic view of Vesuvious. Only drawback was the terrace outside was pretty much communal despite having a small partition between ours and the rooms either side so laying on the bed and enjoying the view could have been a problem. As it was nobody seemed to go beyond their 'space'.
Dining was very pleasant with quite attentive waiters although the speed at which the four courses came did vary each night. The setting if you wanted to eat outside was fantastic with the views across the town and towards the volcanoe. The quality of the food was very good with about four choices to each course. There was a small buffet selection of salads and deserts.
Breakfast was buffet style with lots of choice. Never tried the executive lounge breakfast .
As other people have said, the exec. lounge is worth it, great for snacking and drinks and quiet time. Nice not to have to 'pay' for wine and spirits. The prices in the town were crazy. The bars at the hotel and the piano lounge were deserted most evenings.
The pool on the roof is small but adequate, great for having a dip to cool off and at the same time marvel at the view. It was never crowded, always a lounger available and so peaceful. The main pool area could get busy at times.
Tha Amalfi coast is stunning and Capri is very pretty. Pompei is fasinating but gets very hot as was stumbling up the track to the top of Vesuvious. Be warned the path is very rough with rocks, stones and dust. You can borrow a stick to go up but a small donation is asked for when you return it. I found coming down worse as it was easty to slip on the loose stones.
Sorrento is charming and it's worth finding the narrow back streets to explore. The main roads can get very busy and noisy. Being set up on the hill away from the noise was just what we wanted and that's what you get from this hotel. The walk down is easy takes five minutes and when you've walked up once that's not difficult either.
The service from the staff was very good apart from the first ten minutes on arrival when despite having booked a weeks half board in an exec. room we were told no we hadn't in a very abrubt manner by one of the reception staff who insisted we were there in a standard room for six nights room only! Thank goodness we'd brought the invoice and after an anxious few minutes for us and a couple of phone calls by the staff member things were put right. No apology from him though.
I would recommend this hotel and would definately go back.