“Great hotel-would go back”

Grand Hotel President
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 10 August 2011

This hotel is owned by Thomsons so all the guests seemed to be from the UK.
We had read reviews so were aware of any potential negatives. We were therefore not surprised by the price of drinks but bearing in mind that you were served a lovely chilled glass of white wine sitting on the fantastic roof top terrace overlooking the whole bay of Naples, served by very charming Italian waiters & accompanied by very generous bar snacks-well worth the 5 Euros (slightly less during Happy Hour!)
As we had 2 rooms for our family of 4, we decided not to choose the sea-view rooms as we would have paid £600 extra. Both of our rooms were on the 1st floor & both had plesant balconies edged with tubs of flowers.We were really happy with this & saw plenty of the sea view from all other parts of the hotel.Admittedly, some of the rooms on the lower levels did face the brick wall but we were lucky with our 2 rooms.
We really enjoyed the food-expertly served & prepared.
The Thomson staff were great-helpful without being over-bearing.
The excursions are expensive so we went to Pompeii on the local train & saved ourselves a packet!
The pool area is lovely with plenty of umbrellas & loungers.
All in all a very pleasant stay in a lovely hotel.
Musn't forget to mention our local Italian expert Desiree who gave real added value to the Sorrento experience.

2  Thank Jan52

Reviewed 10 August 2011

There are a few good things about this hotel: the staff are keen to help and the views are great.

The views are great because it's very high up in the hills - which is nice, except when you need to get away - which is all the time.

There's nowhere nearby which sells essentials such as water (town is a £25 taxi ride away), so the hotel take full advantage of that by charging £3.50 for a bottle of water.

The food in the restaurant is reasonably good. During the daytime though, only the pool bar sells food - and it's atrocious, as well as being incredibly overpriced.

The worst thing about this hotel is the noise. The walls are paper thin. On one side of us we had a couple of shady-looking heavies who the hotel staff seemed to be afraid to speak to. They'd get in every night between 1 and 2am and spend all night talking at the top of their voices, with their mobiles going off all night, then settle down around 7am. They claimed not to understand us when I spoke to them - and the hotel staff said there was nothing they could do about it.

he day times were just as bad for different reasons. The hotel is pretty much dominated by Thomson, whose reps are very nice and helpful - but whose "entertainment" staff dominate the (small, congested) pool all day long. There's only one pool, so it's not really appropriate to claim to have a pool when it's not available for use for so much of the day because there are brain-dead "entertainment" types screeching and demanding attention in there. The atmosphere they seemed to be aiming for was somewhere between an 18 - 30 holiday and an activities day at an old people's home. It was excruciating. And since they're using the pool for their activities for so much of the day, it's out of bounds to everyone else.

By the end of the week we were totally exhausted.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank si909
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We booked a superior sea view room and paid extra to have this. When we arrived it was nearly midnight and I was so disappointed that when I opened the patio doors on to the balconey, instead of the wonderful view of Sorrento I was expecting, there was a Brick wall, covered in Ivy, with four big steel pipes that hummed constantly. I rang reception straight away and informed them there had been a mistake and I was told there was noting they could do the hotel was full and I would have to speak to the Rep the next day. We spoke to the Rep the next day and was told that another couple were not happy with their room as they had a split level room, and they would see if they wanted to swap with us. They never got back to us. Then the hotel reception rang our room to inform us they would move us to a sea view room on the monday morning. But we had pre booked the Pompeii trip for that day so would only be able to move rooms on the monday afternoon, and we were told then it would not be possible as other guests would then be in the room. By this time I was happy with the room we were in, it was clean, tidy, and we had unpacked and were very comfortable, I had also resigned myself to the fact that the best views of sorrento were from the hotels terrece bar anyway, but when you have looked forward to your holiday and your expecting something special it was a little disappointing. I had looked at reviews for the hotel before going and had seen reviews about the hotel food, I was looking forward to trying the breakfast omellettes andthey were very good, breakfast on a whole was great. I felt that the evening meal was limited to choice as it was waiter services and you had to pock from the menu what you would like. Alhtough there were two buffett evening while we were there and that was much better, as you had more choice. Although you do get an evening meal, make sure that if you go, you go into Sorrento in the evening and have dinner at least once. Sorrento was completing different in the evening with part of the main road becoming closed off and street entertainers came out. It was magical, very relaxed and pleasent.
Although the hotel is very clean, tidy, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the hotel is remote and the bus they put on to and from the centre of town did not run at times conveinent for holiday makers, if you wanted lunch in town you were stuck in town until 16.15hrs or you had to go back to the hotel for luch. They bus times need to be more frequet, as we were informed the taxi were very expensive and cost 30euros back up to hill in the day time and were even more expensive in the evening. I felt that the hotel just wanted to keep you in the hotel to spend money there, that was why the bus did not run at regular times, as if you cant leave the hotel you have to buy drinks/food there in the day time. I also felt the the 55euros to book the late check out was excessive. Although we paid it as the hotel wanted us to check out by 10am, and we were not leaving until 17.25 hours. If I pay for an extra day to keep the room, then surely there should be some kind of house keeping for that day, but on the last day we did not see anyone and my partner had to go and ask for clean towels, and was made to feel uncomfortable as he had to hand back two towels before the cleaner would give him two towels. I felt for the extra money we shouldnt have had to go and find clean towels. There is also a mini bar in the room, but there were no prices for the items inside. I had looked at reviews for this hotel prior to going and people had said that if the hotel find that you have put your own items in the fridge then they charge you 5euros aday. Other holiday makers informed me this was true and they had had extra charges on their bill due to this. So we ensured we did not go near the fridge.
Although the entertainment staff were very friendly and keen, it was a bit unusual to have someone sing to you while your sunbathing, or calling you "my darling" in every sentence. The only show we caught was on the last night, and they did a good job of singing show tunes and then an outside act came on and they were great. Also be careful of your bar and food bill, its easy just to put it on the room, but it soon all adds up, we paid ours every other day ahnd I hate to think what it would have been at the end of the week if we hadnt done that. In all it was a good holiday, the pool area is clean, the hotel room was clean, but there are a lot of "extras" that you have to pay for. Just be aware before you go.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fi1000
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We have just returned from this hotel. Wow! It was absolutely fantastic. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff very welcoming, helpful and friendly. - everyone from the cleaners, the waiters and the reception staff. The food was first class with an excellent buffet breakfast and waiter service dinner.

The only down side is the distance from the hotel to the town of Sorrento. The hotel courtesy bus is OK but times are quite limited - especially the last one at night. We went on the open top bus trip and were taken back to Sorrento and unfortunately had to wait about 2 and half hours for the courtesy bus - so we walked back and it took us about an hour!!

Ensure you book a sea view as several other guests were very disappointed to be looking at a brick wall when they opened their windows!! It would have been nice to have had tea and coffee making facilities in the room but at least there is fridge in the room and a free security safe!

The views are fantastic and the roof terrace is a calm, serene area to relax and enjoy the peace.

We would definitely recommend this child free hotel to our friends. We were told that it will be a Thomson Platinum from 2012 and it certainly should be.

Room Tip: Ensure you book a sea view - it is a MUST
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WAYLEAF
Reviewed 30 July 2011

What can I say, this was our second visit to this hotel. It was so good to be back and see all the staff from last year, who looked after us so well. Nothing is to much trouble for them from waiting staff to maid's. The hotel is spotless as is the pool area and gardens. The food is good and varied with an excellent Gala evening on Sunday when you are spoilt for choice.The views from the terrace are the best in Sorrento where you can sit and enjoy all of this until late into the evening. The Thomsons staff are always available for any information that you might need and are very helpful. Their entertainment team work very hard, there is always something going on in the day if you wish to take part. In the evening they put on different shows, they work very hard to make sure you that have a good time.
The position of this Hotel means that quite a few of the rooms are on the side and look onto a brick wall but they have made it as nice as they can with flowers and ceramic tiles built in to the wall and you do have the lovely terrace to sit out on.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

2  Thank cat61
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel for ten days and we had a blast. All members of the staff were incredible and really made our holiday special; from the waiters and the bar staff right through the reps Marcia and Lee. I can't understand the previous comments with regards to the entertainment team we thought they were brilliant. All four of them we so friendly, one night they performed a Les Miserables cabaret and I was reduced to tears it made my holiday. All four of them are wasted at this resort and I have no doubt that I shall see them in the West End soon!

Thank you Thomson Gold for a wonderful holiday shame you'll be platinum next year as your shows here were brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I cannot disagree more with this review. The (local) staff in this hotel could not have done more for us during our stay, they were courteous and always went out of their way to be helpful.

Anybody expecting gourmet food in an hotel serving the package holiday trade and paying this price I am afraid are a little deluded! The food was plentiful, varied and enjoyable, with waiter service with the exception of a couple of nights when a buffet was provided. We did not have a sea view room, we use a room merely for sleeping on holiday but found it perfectly clean/fantastically powerful shower.

The Thomsons entertainments teams talent (girls in particular) perhaps fell a little short of their enthusiasm and the reps knowledge of the local area seemed a little patchy. In my opinion the Gold entertainment service would be better replaced with a talented local entertainer. Although there were additional charges for certain room facilities we were not charged for use of the safe.

With current exchange rate against Euro costs locally (particularly drinks) are inevitably steep against prices in the UK. However our son lives in Geneva which is the most expensive city I have ever visited (particularly hotels) hence I am surprised at the comments of your reviewer from Zurich!

This was an excellent holiday and if we were to return to the area we would have no hesitation in using the Grand President.

5  Thank jackoDerbyshire