“The wonderful Hotel President”

Grand Hotel President
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I have visited the this wonderful hotel several times and have never been disappointed. The views, the food and wine, a wide choice of cocktails and drinks from the bar, the spotlessly clean rooms, the pool, all the facilities are outstanding, but the most important part of this hotel are the wonderful staff who cannot do enough for all their guests. Some people comment on the fact there are not sufficient courtesy bus journeys, but there is an enjoyable 15-20 minute walk down to the town (which I often do in preference to the bus journey) which has lovely views on the way (the uphill walk can be a bit tricky in hot weather), and there are local buses available a short walk from the hotel to the main road - tickets can be purchased at Reception. There was entertainment on in the hotel on some evenings and it was very enjoyable. I did not use the spa facilities on this visit but have done so in the past. The outstanding welcome and the fantastic views are what bring people back time and again, and I am looking forward to my next visit already.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 July 2012

We had a great stay at the Grand Hotel President. You can't beat the view, and the hotel is reasonably priced.
We chose this hotel because we wanted more of a resort style hotel rather than the big city hotels that you find in other parts of Italy. We loved the fact that the hotel had amazing views; a room with an Ocean View is worth the upgrade!!
Be sure to plan the travel time up/down the hill to get to/from town. When we first arrived in Sorrento via public transportation, we made the mistake of getting off the city bus too early when going up the hill. This forced us to make a 20 minute walk up the cobblestone hill with suitcases in humidity.
Same case when traveling into town throughout the day; the hotel shuttle bus is great but you must plan your travel time around the set shuttle departure time.
We thought the hotel was very reasonably priced for what you get.
Giovanni the bartender is the BEST! We were able to try his Limonciello and many other great drinks. He is friendly, helpful, and one of the sweetest Italian men you will ever meet!!
Thanks for the great stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stumbled upon the Grand President while looking for another hotel and decided to take our chances and see if they had a vacancy. Lucky for us they did, with a bayview room as well for a small amount extra. We booked for two nights but after seeing our room and view I wanted to stay forever. A view alone is not enough however. It was after we met the amazing staff and ate the excellent food we extended our stay another night. I broke a tooth while I was there and the front desk made an appointment for me at the dentist and arranged for the hotel shuttle bus to drop me nearby.
Sorrento is a great base to explore the Amalfi region, Capri, Pompeii and even Naples. We had a hire car but most places are easily accessible by train.
I never tired of looking at the view across the bay to Vesuvius or Sorrento with its many shades of light over the day and night. Our pristine room was decorated in clean white and the crisp colours of the citrus growing in the garden. Can't say enough about the staff. We hope to return!

Room Tip: Pay the small amount extra for a sea view room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We've just arrived home after a very pleasant stay at the President. Firstly, credit must be given to the superb staff all of whom made the stay an absolute delight. We up-graded to a superior sea view room with balcony and it was worth every penny, both day and night the views were outstanding.

We were half board which is not our usual choice however as the hotel is out of town this was a good choice given the cost of taxis and the very steep walk back up to the hotel, the food was good. A tip is to wait until at least 8.40pm to go into dinner to get one of the outside tables (of only 16) as there is always a run for them earlier on, again the evening view is amazing.

Our room was spacious and comfortable the bathroom was adequate but a little tired and although there are toiletries they were not replenished and very minimal... so take your own. The best rooms are to be found on levels 1 and 2 (the hotel is upside down so these are the upper floors).

One gripe was breakfast which given the standard of the hotel was poor. All hot beverages were self service from a vending machine, we were looking forward to freshly made coffee, as one would in Italy, and had to make do with machine made instant coffee. Having looked forward to wonderful fresh fruit we were amazed to find tinned fruit being served (as in the old fashioned fruit cocktail) - yuk, surely this went out in the 70s! In the end we avoided breakfast and went into town via the curtesy bus and had our breakfast there.

Apart from breakfast it's hard to pick fault with the hotel especially after we had a very good holiday.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelcritic30
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This hotel has many things going for it. I was in a seaside room with a small, but very nice, private patio. It was pretty awesome waking up to the view of Mt. Vesuvius each morning. Also, the breakfasts (included in my rate) were very, very good. The place is clean and quiet, and everything in my room worked as expected.

On the other hand, there were a few small things that bugged me. First, they charge €5 fee to use the minibar for your own personal items. Seriously? I've been in countless hotels throughout Europe and have never seen this. It seems so cheap. Second, the internet (incl. in the room rate), requires a time-based login username and password. I really hate these systems. If you have more than one device (as I did), you need to get two usernames and passwords, then go ask for new ones when they expire (mine expired after three days). This is not 2002. Internet is no longer a precious commodity. I don't have to go ask to have access to TV in my room, or electricity, or water, so why internet? Just use a standard WPA SSID/password system and make life easier for everyone.

Also, be aware that the hotel is a bit out of the main town, and up a very big hill (30 min walk). You will rely on the shuttle which the hotel provides. The schedule is quite awkward however:

Leaves the hotel: 0830, 0930, 1100, 1215, 1600, 1730, 2100, 2130
Picks up in town to return to the hotel: 0845, 0945, 1115, 1230, 1615, 1745, 2115, 2300

Taxis in Sorrento are a total scam (€25 from town to hotel). The hill can make walking (at least to the hotel) a formidable adventure.

Anyway, if you plan on coming and going from the hotel more than once a day, I would highly recommend factoring this in.

The restaurant looks nice, but super expensive (in fairness, I didn't eat there, but looked at the menu, and even though it didn't have prices, I could tell it would be pricey).

Overall, I did like the place. My room was fantastic, and I loved the patio and view. Also, it was quiet. However, given all of the above, I might consider sacrificing these and staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Definitely book the room with a view of the sea. I got a great rate on Expedia.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Alveus
Reviewed 22 June 2012

The food and staff were outstanding! The hotel was very clean and bright. I highly recommend this hotel! Vincento behind the desk was truly amazing wanting ti make sure everything was just perfect for us. I could go on and on about the place so rather than do that just book it and you will see!

Room Tip: Room with the sea view!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 517howdy
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at the Grand President at the beginning of June. First time in Sorrento and wasn't sure whether to pay the extra to upgrade to a sea-view room, but we are so glad we did. The view of the Bay of Naples was great, and we loved sitting out on the balcony looking out over the pool and the well kept gardens. However, as other reviewers have mentioned there is a great area on the rooftop with comfy chairs / loungers where you can have a drink and take in the wonderful view. Enjoyed our G&T's up there but beware the staff will provide you with so many nibbles and treats you won't eat your evening meal! The hotel was great with no problems experienced. Our room was spacious and very clean. The staff are a delight, very polite and helpful from Reception, Housekeeping, Bar staff, pool and the restaurant (not forgotting the bus driver!). Nothing was too much trouble. Didn't use the spa itself (except as a courtsey room / shower room on the last day - so didn't have to pay extra for a late check out) however we did request a hairdressing appointment and this was arranged without issue for the day we requested. Our rep (Chiaro?) was very helpful and we did attend the meet and greet and also the free walkabout tour of Sorrento that was offered. Food at the hotel was lovely, plenty on offer at breakfast and the evening meal gave at least 4 options for the main course. The whole area is one of the prettiest places I've been to (Amalfi coast drive was great - we used Sorrento First Choice private guides - can highly recommend!) and Sorrento itself was lovely however I'm glad we chose to stay up in the hills at the President as just far enough away from the hustle & bustle but easy and quick to get to if you want some shopping, time out from lazing in the sun. Overall a great hotel - clean, stylish and very relaxing. Would love to go back!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view room for a great view over Sorrento and the Bay of Naples - may not hav...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family