“Sorrento”

Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Farnham, United Kingdom
“Sorrento”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

a lovely location 3km from the town high up and perfect for families provided teenagers don't need night life within walking distance. Great pool. Nice spa.

The views from this hotel are beyond stunning morning, noon or night. Loved it.

Room Tip: decide carefully whether you wish to be in the town or above it
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank thomaspower

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Czech first
Norwich
Reviewed 25 August 2012

A lovely, relaxing hotel where the staff really go the extra mile for you. As other reviewers have stated, stunning views, very clean, good food, a courtesy bus, plenty of sunbeds and loads of seating areas with varying degrees of sun/shade, sit/lay, indoors/outdoors - I can't fault the hotel or the service it offers. However, what we Brits really want to know is: is there a kettle? Yes there is, and teabags, coffee and milk are replenished every day, but if you're a big tea drinker, take a few extra. Beach towels were also provided so unless you particularly like your own or like to have more than one, there's a bit of space and weight saved in your suitcase! Oh, and by the way, it was my birthday while I was over there and they surprised me with a delicious cake. It was too big to eat at once so I kept it in the fridge and no, I wasn't charged a cent for using their fridge for my own purpose.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the sea get the sun in the morning
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Staff are really friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble. hotel lovely and clean, food excellent.
The views are stunning , pay extra for sea views it is well worth it, we did.
The taxis are a bit exspensive so make use of the free hotel bus, they drop off and collect 8 times throughout the day .

• Stayed August 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Excellent hotel in a fabulous location. Friendly staff especially Luigi and his team in the restaurant! Top class service all round! Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Sorrento!! First class food!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Cumbria, UK
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week. It was fantastic and I can not fault a thing. The hotel view and location is AMAZING! We stayed in room 112 and paid for a sea view which to me was worth it - we never got tired of the view, absolutely beautiful!! We wanted a relaxing holiday and knew we'd spend time by the pool which is why we opted for this hotel rather than a more central one - the terraces and pool areas of those being much smaller. I loved the view whilst looking at this hotel in the brochure/online and it lived up to its expectation! The pool area is lovely, plenty of sun loungers & seats, then there is even more room for lazing around up on the rooftop terrace bar. Yes people were out there at 9am putting their towels out - but that's not the hotels fault that's us silly Brits! The shuttle bus was handy as we did not fancy the walk into Sorrento down the big hill! It runs approx 6 times a day, with a gap in the afternoon between 12.30 and 4 but obviously this is siesta time. Breakfast and dinner had lots of choice, make sure you are hungry as the portions are big in the evening. Wine was very reasonably priced at approx 15 euros +, this then doubled when we went to eat and drink in Sorrento itself.The staff were friendly and helpful. We even got a complimentary bottle of Prosecco with it being our honeymoon. I never can understand people that moan or complain about the littlest of things... no complaints here! I only hope one day we can go again!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 17 August 2012

The views over the Bay of Naples are spectacular. The staff were friendly, the breakfast service was good. I didn’t have dinner there.
The upsides are repeated in the other reviews – I will just the downsides as I see them.

The pool shut at 18 30 hours strictly. As it seemed the pool attendant had worked his long shift. I thought that this was too quick for some families who were enjoying the pool and it surrounds – well before twilight.
The pool was great, but a bit small for the number of guests there and became a bit crowded. The hotel supplied balls and the guests threw them in games around the pool. This was a bit of a pest, because of the constraint of space. Now that the kids are grown up I don’t look for this anymore.
The hotel will change your bathroom towels every day, but the towel for the pool is to last your stay! They do say that they will change it should you specifically request it.
The hotel guests were almost all from the UK – from tours; to me it’s nice to get away from being surrounded by your own nationals. Hearing “On me ed son” shouted about the pool. IN a big pool area everyone can have their own space, here it was a bit confined. The views from the pool were beautiful.
25 Euros taxi fare to the square in Sorrento – one way. The bars in town were great, had a few pints and then on for some good food.
Now for £250-00 a night for a double I thought that it was worth it – really enjoyed the stay and the views, but I have stayed at better hotels elsewhere for that kind of money.

Room Tip: Sea view would be essential
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt0804
Annan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We first stayed in this hotel when it was Thomsons Gold, now upgraded to Platinum but I think it was better before. One of features of Platinum is that it offers first or second drop-off. We were dropped off last and rep said it was because Sorrento was busy. This is obviously the case during summer and Thomsons should make this clear in their blurb. On our first visit there were yoga and Pilates classes Italian lessons, lunchtime quizzes , pool games and entertainment every evening. This time there was a pianist and singer on 2 evenings , who were average and on Thursday a very good Italian tenor and guitarist. Also on first visit it was couples only, now children are allowed. Last time, there was a reception on the roof terrace ,which all the staff attended , followed by a gala buffet , when all the women were given a rose. This time, just the buffet.
When we arrived we were shown to room 103 which was a double level room. It was very narrow with 2 single beds in the upstairs sleeping area. We asked for another room and were given room 434 which was very nice. We did not pay for sea view this time as there are so many areas in hotel from which to admire the stunning views of the Bay of Naples. We spent most of our time on the roof terrace which was very quiet all week. Most guests were at the pool which was busy. Something needs to be done about pool towels on lounges. We saw people queue up at 9am when the pool,opened to laynoutntheirmtowels , then disappear for most of the day.
Staff are excellent . Most ofmthe staff were the same as 2 years ago and remembered us, which was nice. Luigi, the Maitri d' makes everyone feel special and was keen to help me improve my Italian. Giuseppe on the roof terrace is a real character, every time you get a drink, he brings a picnic as he says " I have to feed my little chickens!". Carmine's freshly squeezed orange juice came with practically the whole fruit bowl on skewers. Delicious! We walked into Sorrento most days , down the path from the hotel which takes about 30 minutes to Piazza Tasso. We got the shuttle bus back up as it is a steep climb . Food was good and dinner on the balcony overlooking the bay was special every night.
My advice is if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday , out of the hustle and bustle of Sorrento with amazing views and truly exceptional service , book this hotel. If however, you like to be entertained in the evenings in your hotel , look elsewhere. We were happy to sit on the roof terrace and enjoy the peace and quiet with a cocktail but this hotel could be improved as a destination with more entertainment. The hotel staff make it a lovely place to be, but Thomsons need to inject a little more sparkle and reintroduce some of the activities and entertainment it enjoyed as a Gold hotel.

Stayed August 2012