We booked this hotel with high expectations and at lived up to them on all levels. We booked deluxe rooms (610, 611) which are on a high floor, with balconies overlooking the perfectly-maintained gardens and pool, and a tremendous sea view looking out to Marina Piccolo and the distant island of Capri. The rooms were spacious, well appointed and spotless, and service throughout the hotel by all staff was exceptional.
I contacted the hotel in advance, and managed to negotiate a slight reduction off the best Internet rate, and the Manager also threw in free parking for our hire car, which turned out to be a real bonus. If you are driving, make sure you pull up in front of the hotel and get them to unlock the gate, otherwise you will pass it and have to go around the one way system. You need your wits about you at all times when driving as cars and motorbikes will readily cut you up from all directions (be sure to pay extra for full insurance cover if you are renting a hire car in Sorrento and the Amalfi coastline).
We were travelling independently and glad we had the car, but Sorrento is very well connected with bus, boat and train systems. Positano and Capri were highlights, but for a jaw-dropping view be sure to pay a visit to the iconic Villa Rufolo gardens, in beautiful Ravello. A car is handy as Ravello is tucked away in the hills near Amalfi.
The only slight disappointment was the breakfast experience. There was a reasonable choice, but we just expected a bit more from a top hotel. The scrambled eggs on the buffet were regularly undercooked for our liking, but having said that, a chef was always on hand in the outside area cooking crepes, omelettes and eggs to order.
Overall, this is a fabulous hotel in a quiet location, perfectly positioned to explore Sorrento and the surrounding areas. We would not hesitate to stay here again.
A few restaurant recommendations:
1) Pizzeria Da Franco (the best in town, rustic and traditional, great for lunch).
2) Bagni Delfino in Marina Grande (great fish, fabulous setting on a pier)
3) Re Foods (new chic restaurant, lovely food, great service)
4) O Murzill (family run, tasty food, small but atmospheric, great house wine)
5) Da Gigino (popular and reliable, always busy)
6) Inn Bufalito (modern, great menu and specials board)
7) Davide Gelato (the best ice cream in Sorrento)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by the uniqueness of its position close to the city centre, the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, is a prestigious 5 star rating Hotel, immersed in the green of a luxuriant secular park, on a cliff overlooking the sea, with a breathtaking view of the Gulf of Naples and Vesuvius. Quiet location, exclusive private beach, Wellness center and parking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp and ACCOR so you can book your Grand Hotel Ambasciatori reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sorrento