“wonderful views”

Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
Ranked #11 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a week ,our first holiday in 4 yearsand loved every minute. The foyer is stunning as you walk in with marble floors, antique furnitue,chandeliers and a welcoming feel. Reception staff friendly and the porter whisked our bags away where they reappeared at our room at the same time as we did.We had chosen a sea view room which had a small balcony [with rather rusty railings]overlooking the bay of Naples, Capri to the left and Vesuvius to the right - definitely worth paying the extra.Always plenty of activity to see, cruise ships moor nearby and the ferries to Capri etc are always coming and going.Our room was attractive with antique style furniture and a huge plasma TV. Large bathroom en suite[taps rather shabby with chrome mostly worn off] but all very clean.We had the half board option and found eating in the lovely panoramic dining room a pleasure. Breakfast buffet good with varied choice. Dinner had excellent choices for all courses and was waiter service except one night when there was a gala buffet.The staff were pleasant and efficient. Lovely garden with lemon trees and many mature shrubs and plants.Plenty of sitting places to relax and enjoy the views. Small pool with adjacent snack bar. Internal lift takes you down to the sea side bathing area where there are plenty of loungers,parasols and tables. Beware the cost of drinks down here, we were charged 13 euro for 2 orange juices!
Short level walk into town or there are local buses that pass the hotel door.Take the train to visit Pompei and Herculanum,a cheap and easy option and the station is only 10 minute walk from the hotel. EU citizens over 65 get into these attractions free on production of passport - we photocopied ours, a safer option!
We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for a relaxing stay in a suberb position in Sorrento.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (1,607)

Reviewed 17 May 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one week in May 2008. Beautiful old style hotel with lovely traditional interiors and very helpful English speaking staff. The location was perfect with views across the Bay of Naples over to Vesuvius and Sorrento's marinas. The hotel has wonderful gardens with all kinds of quiet corners for you to sit in if you don't want to be around the pool. Our room was very clean and well maintained (bed was very hard). Hotel Ambasciatori was just the right distance from Sorrento's town centre for us - far enough away from the crowds but made for a really nice stroll into town.

So why not a five? Quite simply the dining room lets this hotel down. The staff worked extremely hard but clearly had too much to do with the hotel trying to cater for not only holidaying guests but there were two weddings and one christening for them to cope with over three days and the same staff seemed to be there for breakfast lunch and dinner. The service was therefore inconsistent and the food was at times extremely poor. Such a shame when everything else was so good.

We would recommend the hotel but that you eat out!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2008

Although we only stayed overnight, we really enjoyed this hotel. The staff was friendly; the lobby was nice, with big windows, and whole place was spotless.

We had dinner in the hotel's very nice restaurant and it was great - a piece of baked fish with a heavenly lemon flavored bread crumb topping. Our room was nice and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the sea.

One little thing that still confuses me: I had asked about a taxi and the front desk clerk said it would be difficult on a Sunday morning; she didn't push, but it seemed she prefered to call a private car company for transportation; well, we ended up walking down to the harbor. If I can do it, you can do it - I'm overweight and out of shape- and we just took our time and it wasn't too bad- there was a lot of steps in one particular area that we had to go down, and I told my husband, okay, I'll do it, but you better find a taxi or something- I'm not going to go up them on the way back! Well, there was a small public transportation bus for the trip back up from the harbor; and there was the cutest small train (on wheels not on a track!) that takes you through the town (a must for 6 euro) and even has audio in different languages and the driver's dog follows the train for most of the trip, sometimes barking and biting at the tires! Tourist everywhere couldn't get over the dog- they would point at the dog before they'd point at the little train. Traffic would stop for the dog, even- he was a show stopper that's for sure.

I just can't understand why the desk clerk wouldn't have mentioned the small public bus nor the siteseeing train - at the train's ticket stand it stated: tickets can be purchased at hotels. Oh well.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2008

This review is a bit over due. My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori during July 07 for my 40th birthday. As it was a special occasion we booked the best room they had. This came with a big balcony/terrace with breathtaking views out to Vesuvius. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast was very nice but we found the staff not to be very attentive. The hotel is very nice and clean. The lady on reception was very friendly and helpful and the chambermaid always had a nice big smile for us. There is a swimming pool but we never used that, instead going down to the decking area by the sea which was absolutley lovely. Salvatore ran the show down there and was good fun. He arranged a private boat for us on my 40th birtthday, skippered by Tony. We went to Capri which was great. remember to use the lift to get to the top, it was 35 degrees and we walked all the way to the top, big mistake. Tony then took us to a lovely restaurant for lunch. Another must do trip is to Pompei and Vesuvius. I would recommend you make your won way to Pompei rather than one of the fixed trips. The town is great and very safe. You have to be careful with restaurants though, some are great and some are just tourist rip offs.

Back to the hotel itself and my only complaint was about the "special" dinner for my 40th birthday. My lovely wife met with the restaurant Manager and asked for an outside table as the sun set. He said this would be no problem and recommened the exact time etc. Unfortunatley at that time that had decided to give that table to another guest who had just turned up. The table was not ready and we missed the sunset. The restaurant Manager didn't seem too botherered. We then complained to the Mangagement who offered a bottle of wine as compensation but to be honest the magic moment had gone and what had been a wonderful day was ruined. The only other small gripe was about the walk to town, it was only ten minutes so not a major issue.

All in all we had a great holiday, the weather was wonderful and we would love to return to Sorrento, though next time we will probably stay at the sister hotel the Royal.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 20 April 2008

We have just returned from a week staying at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori and we didn't want to leave. The hotel is in a wonderful location, about 10 minutes walk from central Sorrento - it is in a quiet residential area, and the walk in to town is very pleasant. It is situatied high on the clifftops and has magnificent views of the bay and of Mt. Vesuvius - it was wonderful sitting eating breakfast each day taking in the scenery. The hotel also has a small pool and absolutely lovely grounds with plenty of places to sit and relax. Our room was lovely with 2 balconies, nice and clean, traditionally decorated and very comfortable. Breakfast is buffet style with a good choice. We had dinner there one night, the food was very nice but pretty expensive.
Overall we absolutely loved everything about this hotel and would definitely go back, I can imagine it being absolutely packed in summer so would recommend April/May time.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 March 2008

My husband and I just loved this hotel. It was so grand, the views were breathtaking and the rooms lovely. We were on one of the upper levels with a small bird's nest balcony but we felt so privileged to be there and gaze out at the most beautiful views I have ever seen. The staff were always obliging especially in the restaurant. It took us only 10 minutes to walk into central Sorrento so it was very convenient. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any of my friends. A seafacing room is so worth it. Just check out my photos to see for yourself.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My husband and I had been travelling throughout Germany and Italy. We stayed in The Ambasciatori and just loved it! Our middle grade room was great with a view of partial sea and courtyard where you could hear the live Italian music from below at night. The reception area was full of high quality wood inlay and the internet was great. The walks into town (10 minutes) helped to walk off all of the great Italian food we had been eating. One day we stayed at the hotel all day as the setting is just too beautiful to not enjoy it, plus we needed the day to chill. We swam at the beach, had lunch poolside under a beautiful arbor, and then swam in the pool. It was a great way to chill from all of our travelling. The food was good, we did have a chef make breakfast in the main dining room as you watched and lunch was super as well. Dinner was good, nothing to write home about, but the view of Mt. Vesuvius and the sunset was just spectacular. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2007