“LIFE IN A DUNGEON AT AMBASCIATORI” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Ambasciatori

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
CHESHIRE
“LIFE IN A DUNGEON AT AMBASCIATORI”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

3 NIGHTS IN A DUNGEON

In May last I travelled from Manchester to Sorrento, having chosen
Ambasciatori because it is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, I am 80 years' old and its publicity implied that it would be a comfortable place to stay. The purpose of my visit was to attend the wedding of my grand-daughter.

However, on checking in I was shown to room 308, which was down in the cellar of the building with a tiny window overlooking a ventilation shaft and therefore almost devoid of daylight and fresh air. I was extremely tired that night and so went straight to bed. A double bed had been provided but in fact 2 single beds were requested when the reservation was made.

It would seem that all the dungeon rooms in the cellar are below the standard advertised in the hotel's publicity brochures where no mention is made of such.

The following morning I expressed my disappointment at Reception and the reply, in a very offhand manner, was "It was a group booking - you were given a discount".

The lift down to the accommodation was out of order for several
hours on the second day and I was therefore left to negotiate
the stairs - not easy for an octogenarian!

I discovered later that other guests were paying the same as I
for rooms with balconies and sea views. In fact by prior arrangement I transferred to a room on the 6th floor which indeed had a small balcony and view of the garden. Obviously I am left to believe that in Italy no special attention is given to the comfort of elderly grandmothers at who are attending a family wedding. It was surely apparent when I checked in that I was a senior citizen.

Having travelled extensively throughout the world, often staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, I have to say that the rooms 207, 208, 307 and 308 together with the "take it or leave it" attitude of the management and staff are totally unacceptable in a hotel of so-called 4star category - in fact from what I have heard the accommodation in youth hostels is superior.

In conclusion I must say the breakfasts were very good indeed,
the chef was anxious to please and the omelets were a delight!

Mrs K Jennings, Adlington, Cheshire

• Liked — No further comment - please see my review
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DUNGEON308

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in June 2008. After an entertaining rush hour taxi ride from the airport, we were both grateful and delighted to reach reception in one piece!

Check-in was smooth and our room was great - we had paid a supplement to upgrade to (I think) a partial sea view room and our mini balcony afforded us a great view out over the Bay of Naples (and the hotel next door's swimming pool).

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable with another spectacular view out over the Bay and the marina, but we did not eat dinner in the hotel.

To be honest, we did not spend that much time in the hotel although we did use the very nice bathing platform at the bottom of the cliff to spend half a day bobbing about in the sea and just chilling in the sun. A lift takes you right down to sea level so there is no need to worry about access.

The hotel was located about a 10 minute walk from Sorrento, plenty close enough for daily trips down to the hydrofoils and then a return trip in the evening to find a restaurant. There was also a wonderful spot along the way to stop for breathtaking sunsets, which were also enjoyed from the hotel's terrace.

It was an ideal base for day trips to Capri, Ischia and Positano, all of which we visited by hydrofoil. Ferries are also possible and much cheaper but run far less frequently and never at the times we wanted them to!

There were a couple of weddings during the weekend of our stay, but neither caused any excessive noise or disturbance.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. Our room was larger than I expected and the finish and standard of room service was excellent. The staff on the reception desk spoke excellent English (given our absence of Italian) and were always friendly and helpful, for example when enquiring about timetables.

We would love to return.

• Liked — Friendly reception staff and a large clean room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seetheworld5555
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

We stayed at the Ambasciatori last year for a week. Having booked it directly on the hotel's website and got a competitive rate, we weren't expecting much, but couldn't have been more impressed with this hotel. The position the hotel holds is fantastic - built into the cliff face with wonderful views across the med and its own private bathing area in the sea.

We were bed and breakfast - the dining room has fabulous views and the breakfasts were excellent - sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries, and a huge buffet catering for all tastes.

We stayed in one of the upper floors - our room was the most basic one but was tastefully decorated, fresh and very clean.

Very romantic setting, loved Sorrento, and would definitely recommend this for couples of all ages looking for a romantic get-away.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LGBOC
Denver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

I am a Brit living in Denver, Colorado and traveled to Sorrento for my niece’s wedding at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori. I have travelled and lived in many different countries but never experienced this standard of 4*S accommodation before. We were allocated a dark, dingy room and the window overlooked a tall four walled tower with no view of even the sky. It resembled a cell at Alcatraz. Furthermore the loud noise of the live music and party revelers, screamed up the ‘funnel’ until 1.15am, and only stopped after three ‘phone calls to reception, and a threat to call the police. Needless to say I was an absolute wreck for the wedding the next day. The following words in the brochure and on the internet are certainly a fabrication of the truth: 'All rooms and suites, with a refined furnishing, every kind of comforts and a particular attention for services and details, offer a breathtaking view of the Bay of Naples and mount Vesuvius or of our beautiful garden.' www.manniellohotels.com, www.ambasciatorisorrento.com

After the wedding I had two meetings with the manager (Giovanni Savarese, Hotel Director) who finally upgraded us for two nights, but as my husband was travelling on business he was only able to appreciate one night. I was to stay three more nights, but had decided whilst staying at ‘Alcatraz’, to change my return flight as I did not want to put any more money into this dreadfully overrated establishment. My two meetings with the manager resulted in my keeping the upgraded room (720) for late checkout (normal cost 60 Euros – big deal!) as compensation for the nights spent in room 308,. Final cherry on the cake was when I was put in the WRONG TAXI to the airport!!!

The whole room allocation was a total lottery because other guests paid the same as us for sea and garden views, as I found out from a fellow passenger on my flight to the UK. Consideration should be given to room allocations for the guests of the bride and groom, especially for family including an 80 year old grandmother, when they are giving the hotel so much business. The dining room staff left a lot to be desired and were uncapable of recognising peoples needs.

This hotel is not deserving of its star rating especially as NO acceptable conclusion was reached with the very ‘charming, smarmy, Giovanni’ and his accomplices, and future guests will continue to be allocated these disgusting dungeon rooms – 207, 208, 307 and 308 – youth hostel accommodation is more superior.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The rooms were not in keeping with the star rating of the hotel, neither were the staff - grossly overrated.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank globalbrit
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

This is the 6th time we have stayed at the Ambasciatori and it continues to delight. We are obviously not the only ones who think this either as there were many familiar faces amongst the guests again this year. We were given room 609 this year which was a lovely, spacious, cool room with a large balcony. The staff in the hotel are always very helpful and were very good in arranging for a doctor to visit my Mother-in-Law when she became in on our 10 day stay.

Housekeeping is always to high standard - the rooms are spotlessly clean and tidy.

Breakfast is always plentiful with all the usual suspects and there is also a chef on hand to make eggs, omelettes and crepes if you so desire. The view over the Bay of Naples to Vesuvius adds to the experience too.

We do not tend to eat dinner in the hotel but rather stroll up to the town to one of the many good eateries available. Lanterna Due is always a good bet - lovely food in a typical family-run restaurant.

We had fabulous weather during our stay and made good use of the bathing platform, swimming several times a day. Salvatore, the attendent at the beach platform is always extremely helpful, providing towels, loungers, snacks and drinks. It is all delivered with a smile and a little bit of good humour and cheek!

I'm sure that this will not be our last visit - we love it here!

• Liked — The beach platform
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

Although it is a bit of a splurge, we found this hotel a great base for exploring Sorrento. A short, five minute walk from the main part of town, the hotel, perched on the Sorrento cliffs hanging over the Bay of Naples, is quiet and spacious. The room was especially large, though we upgraded, especially for Italy. The staff was especially helpful, and we called upon them often because we showed up without our luggage. The hotel seems to attract a lot of British, which meant it was both casual and open. The breakfast was a varied and plentiful buffet. All in all, it provided a terrific setting for the start to our Italian vacation.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — limited parking
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2008

Although I haven't stayed at the Ambasciatori for a few years (very sadly!) I felt it was about time I added my views, as this hotel should be #1 in Sorrento without a doubt, and I very much doubt anything has changed for the worst!

The first time we stayed here, I was 13 years old, and the final time 15. These two holidays have given me the happiest memories of my childhood.

Firstly, the staff at the Ambasciatori were extremely attentive and efficient. Nothing was two much trouble, and they seemed to appear just when you wanted something, especially around the pool. The reception staff attended to requests immediately with no fuss and were an accurate source of information, and the waiters in the restaurant were truly concerened that you were enjoying the food (on our first trip, I ordered something that was not to my taste and a replacement was immediately offered without us saying anything.)

Secondly, the decor and atmosphere of the hotel is elegantly classy and laid back - typically mediterranean. Our rooms were gorgeous with blue textiles and cool stone flooring, with lots of dark wood. The restaurant is breathtaking.

The location of this hotel cannot be beaten. A few minutes walk from the centre of town, but seemingly miles away from any rowdiness. Perched right on the edge of a clifftop, the views over the sea are amazing, and mount vesuvuis atands magificently in vision. The hotel's garden and terrace are immaculate and decorated with beautiful flowers. I lived by the pool - everything was at hand and the views were perfect.

For myself, my mum and my grandma, our holidays were made by the food. In the main restaurant, every night we were served with 3 courses of delicious, mediterranean cuisine, perfectly cooked and presented. The nights of the weekly buffet were spectacular, a huge array of food on offer and sophisticated entertainment. Breakfast gave us a massive selection, and we were able to help ourselves with as much as we wanted form a huge fresh fruit (grown in their grounds) tower to take away. The pool bar also offered delicious snacks which we ate every day, even though this wasn't included in our package.

Overall, I cannot find a single fault with this hotel and (as you can tell!) am full of praise for the staff. I hope to be able to return as soon as possible and expect to find everything exactly the same, if not better!

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed August 2004, travelled with family