“AMAZING HOLIDAY & WEDDING DAY AT THE AMBASCIATORI”

Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Poynton
“AMAZING HOLIDAY & WEDDING DAY AT THE AMBASCIATORI”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2008

My new husband and I have stayed at the Grand hotel Ambasciatori numerous times over the last 2-3 years and each time the experience just gets better. Never before have we met more friendly and courteous staff and more importantly the hotel Director Giovanni and Reservations Manager Massimo could not have done enough for us. Throughout the last 18 months Giovanni has helped us considerably to organise our special wedding day which took place in May and ensured that everything ran smoothly. The majority of our guests even complimented the hotel and staff and made a point of telling us it was the best wedding that they had ever been to which is thanks again to the wonderful staff there. The location of the hotel is fantastic with stunning views, beautiful Italian gardens with lemon trees plus the hotel offers a private beach area and a lovely pool where there is a bar in which you can get a drink or snack. The hotel is also just a short pleasant stroll from the Piazza Tasso.

As it was our wedding we decided to treat ourselves and book a sea view room, when we arrived we had the most amazing large balcony overlooking Mount Vesuvius. During my stay, I did visit some of the standard rooms which our friends were staying in, the rooms are large and although there are some references to them being like dungeons in other reports, yes they have got internal balconies however this is clearly stated on their website and you are given the choice to book a different room for a slightly higher price.

As soon as we can we will be booking our 1st wedding anniversary there and we can honestly say that we have never had or do not have a bad word to say about the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori.

Carl & Sara Toft

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!!
  • Disliked — HAVING TO LEAVE AND COME HOME TO THE UK!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank Toft0107

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

I attended a wedding in May 2008 at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori and had an amazing time. I stayed in room 207 and no it didn't have an amazing view but if I'm going anywhere on holiday, the last thing I'm going to do is let that get in the way of my enjoyment. I was only in my room to sleep at night so I'm not going to get a great view then when my eyes are closed!

I have read a comment where the rooms resemble a prison cell! Well if you can call one of the most spacious hotel rooms I've seen (and I used to be a hotel contractor) a prison cell then give me a life sentence there!!

All the staff at the hotel were friendly and attentive. Giovanni, the hotel manager was especially helpful and an absolute joy to deal with.
The hotel pool and grounds were well tended and the views were to die for.

At the evening drinks reception, the bar tender went the extra mile by coming out to us on the terrace so we could order our drinks there. This enabled us to continue to enjoy the views and spend time with the happy couple, that is what we were all there for after all!

If you go to this hotel with the sole purpose of looking for something bad to write home about, then with ALL things you are sure to find it.
If you go to this hotel to relax, enjoy the beautiful views, friendly, happy staff and have a good time, then this is the place for you.

Thankyou Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, can't wait to return.

• Liked — The views and the staff!
  • Disliked — That it's not next door to where I live!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue E
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

The Grand Hotel Ambasciatori was the perfect place to relax and explore a wonderful area of Italy. Just outside the town of Sorrento, a 5-10 minute walk depending on how many times you stop to admire the view.

I visited this hotel with my partner in May this year and have been here several times now. Each time seems to get better. The Staff are very courteous and discrete, and would go out of their way to ensure we had a fantastic stay.

During our stay we be-friended several guests attending an English couple's wedding. Virtually everyone enjoyed the experience we were told and were so impressed by the attention to detail that were considering returning at some point. There was however a couple of rotten eggs that had just whinged about things – but to be honest I think they were on a different planet as unless you are strung as a highly strung violin, this hotel is perfect for all types of guests.

Having travelled to most destination around the globe (without trying to sound pretentious), I can honestly say this hotel is Top Quality.

One thing not to overlook is the “Beach”. Reached via an internal lift, you travel down approx. 150 feet though the cliff face to reach the waters edge. Down here, is more than adequate seating and sunbathing facilities with a bar and Café that serves good simple food, whilst a dip in the sea keeps you cool.

Pool facilities in the hotel grounds are good, and there is an outside bar and restaurant that also has shaded seating. The food at this bar is still relatively simple, but gorgeous and quite reasonably priced.

The hotel is situated at one side of its grounds, with the pool and bar in the middle. On the other side of the pool are wonderful Italian gardens. Pictures do not do the surroundings any justice.

There are several Terraces, all of which overlook the Gulfo Di Napoli and the Dormant Vesuvius. Each one has its own magical view.

Accommodation in the rooms we had booked was excellent. Rooms are spacious – especially for European standards.

We did book into a sea view room with balcony, given the option, this is a must. There are some rooms with internal Balconies, these are lower in the price bracket due to lack of views but still offer the same excellent standard of space, facilities and cleanliness.
With the grounds and lovely places of interest, these lower priced rooms would be more than adequate for those travellers making good use of their time outside of bed whilst enjoying the area on a budget.
Having found during our travelling, whatever hotel you stay at, you get what you pay for.

Myself and my partner will without doubt be returning as soon as we can and would recommend a stay at this fine establishment to anyone. So Many thanks to the hotel Director – Signori Giovanni Savarese and his staff, see you soon.

Global-Travel-Monkey

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay any longer
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Global-Travel-Monkey
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2008

We attended a wedding at the Hotel Ambasciatori and wanted to say that this was one of the best hotels I have stayed at, with amazing views, the most attentive staff and overal fantastic service. The wedding party were so well looked after and the General Manager made sure that the day of the wedding couple was so special and they were treated like royalty. I can say that was also the case of the rest of the wedding party and for other guests at the hotel that we had spoken to. The rooms were very spacious and I do not understand what the previous reviewer was talking about with the prison-like cells. We were staying in room 207 at the time and the comments raised were in no way true from my point of view. There was no loud music and the rooms were light and airy. Maybe some people had forgotten to lift the blinds or open their eyes, who knows??

I had never considered Sorrento before this trip and although we only stayed for 2 nights we have decided to return to Sorrento again and stay at this hotel as it was such an amazing experience. Please ignore any comments saying how bad this hotel is - you only have to look at all the positive comments to realise that this is four star hotel but deserves a five star rating based on the service we received!!! I would heartily reccommend the Ambasciatori time and time again!!!!

• Liked — Great service and amazing location
  • Disliked — Nothing negative to say
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Matthew T
CHESHIRE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

3 NIGHTS IN A DUNGEON

In May last I travelled from Manchester to Sorrento, having chosen
Ambasciatori because it is supposed to be a 4 star hotel, I am 80 years' old and its publicity implied that it would be a comfortable place to stay. The purpose of my visit was to attend the wedding of my grand-daughter.

However, on checking in I was shown to room 308, which was down in the cellar of the building with a tiny window overlooking a ventilation shaft and therefore almost devoid of daylight and fresh air. I was extremely tired that night and so went straight to bed. A double bed had been provided but in fact 2 single beds were requested when the reservation was made.

It would seem that all the dungeon rooms in the cellar are below the standard advertised in the hotel's publicity brochures where no mention is made of such.

The following morning I expressed my disappointment at Reception and the reply, in a very offhand manner, was "It was a group booking - you were given a discount".

The lift down to the accommodation was out of order for several
hours on the second day and I was therefore left to negotiate
the stairs - not easy for an octogenarian!

I discovered later that other guests were paying the same as I
for rooms with balconies and sea views. In fact by prior arrangement I transferred to a room on the 6th floor which indeed had a small balcony and view of the garden. Obviously I am left to believe that in Italy no special attention is given to the comfort of elderly grandmothers at who are attending a family wedding. It was surely apparent when I checked in that I was a senior citizen.

Having travelled extensively throughout the world, often staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, I have to say that the rooms 207, 208, 307 and 308 together with the "take it or leave it" attitude of the management and staff are totally unacceptable in a hotel of so-called 4star category - in fact from what I have heard the accommodation in youth hostels is superior.

In conclusion I must say the breakfasts were very good indeed,
the chef was anxious to please and the omelets were a delight!

Mrs K Jennings, Adlington, Cheshire

• Liked — No further comment - please see my review
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank DUNGEON308
London, Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in June 2008. After an entertaining rush hour taxi ride from the airport, we were both grateful and delighted to reach reception in one piece!

Check-in was smooth and our room was great - we had paid a supplement to upgrade to (I think) a partial sea view room and our mini balcony afforded us a great view out over the Bay of Naples (and the hotel next door's swimming pool).

Breakfast was perfectly acceptable with another spectacular view out over the Bay and the marina, but we did not eat dinner in the hotel.

To be honest, we did not spend that much time in the hotel although we did use the very nice bathing platform at the bottom of the cliff to spend half a day bobbing about in the sea and just chilling in the sun. A lift takes you right down to sea level so there is no need to worry about access.

The hotel was located about a 10 minute walk from Sorrento, plenty close enough for daily trips down to the hydrofoils and then a return trip in the evening to find a restaurant. There was also a wonderful spot along the way to stop for breathtaking sunsets, which were also enjoyed from the hotel's terrace.

It was an ideal base for day trips to Capri, Ischia and Positano, all of which we visited by hydrofoil. Ferries are also possible and much cheaper but run far less frequently and never at the times we wanted them to!

There were a couple of weddings during the weekend of our stay, but neither caused any excessive noise or disturbance.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. Our room was larger than I expected and the finish and standard of room service was excellent. The staff on the reception desk spoke excellent English (given our absence of Italian) and were always friendly and helpful, for example when enquiring about timetables.

We would love to return.

• Liked — Friendly reception staff and a large clean room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank seetheworld5555
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

We stayed at the Ambasciatori last year for a week. Having booked it directly on the hotel's website and got a competitive rate, we weren't expecting much, but couldn't have been more impressed with this hotel. The position the hotel holds is fantastic - built into the cliff face with wonderful views across the med and its own private bathing area in the sea.

We were bed and breakfast - the dining room has fabulous views and the breakfasts were excellent - sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries, and a huge buffet catering for all tastes.

We stayed in one of the upper floors - our room was the most basic one but was tastefully decorated, fresh and very clean.

Very romantic setting, loved Sorrento, and would definitely recommend this for couples of all ages looking for a romantic get-away.

• Liked — The setting
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple