“Basic but clean”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #73 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked this hotel through a travel agent and agreed not to look up any reviews before we left.
When we got there I found the hotel basic, small but clean. It did the job!

The staff were very friendly and could speak good English so this was a good start. We were given our room and my first impression was that I did not like it. But as the week went on it grew on me. The bathroom and bedroom were quite small but we were only in it for sleeping.

The location was excellent!! So so central and close to everything.

No pool though- we had to walk to the ascot hotel but we were always lucky to get chairs.

The doors in the hotel did not close properly- they locked but it let in light and was quite noisy!! And the fridge was too small!!

Overall, it was perfect for our needs.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doonbelfast

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Have just returned from Sorento ,staying at the Astoria.Can not believe some of the reviews and i must have stayed at a different place.The hotel was a little noisy on our last night as there was a party of American girls in,say no more but most of the time it was just people going to their rooms and then nothing.The position was ideal right in the old town with all its charm.The staff were totally help full from day one and when our rep forgot to tell us our departure time they rang her late at night and took us to our coach meeting point at 5-50 am no complaints.Breakfast was perfect with all that you needed and all fresh.Would certainly stay again.Wifi worked great in the lobby and we were able to facetime our girls a number of times.On the first night the housekeeper knocked our door to ask if our room was up to the standard that we expected.What more do you need.

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HOLIDAYMAGICCOUPLE
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I wouldn't even give this place one star! I'd like to give it zero! How this place ever got 4 stars is absolutely baffling!

Here are my complaints:

Their website says there are three options for parking and the first one is that the hotel can park your car for you. THEY LIED! When we arrived they said they have no parking! I told her the website said they would park our car for us and she said it was full. It does not mention that anywhere on the website!
At that time we were parked in a plaza that you weren't allowed to park in. The reception said she would send someone to help us bring in our baggage.
The "staff" came to the lobby and proceeded to fight with the front desk receptionist in front of me and he did not want to help with the baggage. This went on for about 4 minutes! I was looking at my watch! He stormed out of the lobby and she yelled to him. Nope, gone!
I told her that I didn't want him helping me after that and she asked why. I didn't want someone handling my baggage when they are pissed off. How do I know he will take care of my baggage? She told me it was not my problem and it was his job so I shouldn't worry.
YEAH RIGHT!!!

NO WIFI!!! They say they have it and the wireless bars pop up but there is no connectivity in the room. We (hubby and I) went to the lobby to get it to work and nothing there either! Asked front desk and he (different person that evening) said "Oh. Wifi no work for mac or apple. So sorry!"
WTF?!?!

Room is TINY! Linens were horrible! Scratchy and not soft!

There is a vent above the bed and it would go off and on throughout the night. VERY LOUD! And no, it's not the ac or the fridge. Have no idea what it was but it woke me up every time!

Door doesn't shut all the way but it does lock. Since it doesn't shut there is light coming in from hallway not from bottom of the door but the entire side of door. Basically it looks like I have the door cracked open, when in reality I didn't!

Needless to say, we only stayed one of the three nights and instead we upgraded to the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori. Now that hotel is a 5 star hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joeythegirlhawaii
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is our second time at this lovely hotel. Our tour company we booked with took our bags in for us but because the street is only for pedestrians in this historic district we got dropped off at the nearby Piazza, not to worry very close by. For me it just added to the quaintness of approaching Hotel Astoria. We received the same room we had the last time with exceptional service. We had A/C, a fridge and safe. The bathroom has a shower only but lovely ceramic tiles, it looks just like the pictures reflect. There is a blow dryer, shampoo, soap. I love having the balcony over the entrance door to watch the pedestrians go by on Via S. Maria delle Grazie. There are rooms overlooking a beautiful garden and rooms overlooking a busy piazza. Not sure how much those are. There is a church right on this street that is worth looking at(just to the right), it is lovely. The front desk was very helpful in advising about a ferry to Ischia and Capri. The location is central and on cobble stone streets. This hotel is located very close to St. Francis Cloister and lift to Marina piccola, just walk straight out the front door, use the lift or the the ramp down which is free. The lift is not free. Turn right to go the the small piazza San Antonino and then head to the right to Piazza Tasso where all the action is. I have to admit that I speak enough Italian that makes staying in this beautiful area and in this wonderful hotel all that much easier. The hotel does have a lift which is helpful, a bar and something new was added but not being used yet during our stay, was a bar out in the gardens. The above ground pool does not look like it was being put up like our last stay. Use the inground pool at Hotel Ascot it's great on hot days and there is no charge to do so. The terrace is great for sunning or they have beautiful furniture for sitting and chatting with a bottle of wine. We used the beach on 2 occasions at Marina Grande and paid 10 euros for 2 loungers and an umbrella for each day. If you eat at the restaurant at the end you can lounge on Tony's beach for free. That's a pretty good deal. We walked from the hotel, a good 10 min. walk passed Hotel Tramontano. Right after the post you start stepping down some steps and can go straight or make a sharp turn. Make a sharp turn to the right and this will lead you to the Marina. Breakfast here at this hotel is quite good compared to other hotels. Not just pastries and coffee, we had fresh fruit, yoghurt, cold cuts, great bread, cereal. More than enough to start your day. Valentina who works during the breakfast hours is wonderful. Just remember to greet everyone and smile and this will make your experience that much better. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. We stayed for 7 nights and made the experience that much better, last trip was only 4 nights.

Room Tip: 1st floor convenient, the higher up the better views, corner units overlooking the piazza have large...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Good location, 15 minutes from train station, good breakfasts, staff is helpfull. Garden is ever so lovely and quiet, nice place to read or have breakfast. Room is very pretty and colorfull, very clean, ROOM #132 is over the kitchen so its noisy afternoons, we were usually out at this time so it was not a problem. WiFI is free, unfortunately it was out of order during our stay. We would recommend this hotel. No air conditionning until the first of June. All Hotels in Italy follow the same air conditionning rule

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This hotel is located in the pedestrian area of Old Sorrento. You have to park just outside the city center and walk in, but it's worth the effort. The hotel is perfectly situated near all the best shops, restaurants and the church. Rooms are loaded with Amalfi coast charm - painted tiles and typical Sorrento decor. The charming courtyard is filled with lemon trees and is a lovely, relaxing spot to hang out. Staff members are polite, accommodating and professional. A great choice!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne G
Reviewed 14 June 2013

just back from a 9 night stay at this lovely hotel, after reading some of the reviews before we went I was a bit apprehensive about it but we were pleasently surprised, it's location is perfect in the heart of the old side of Sorrento but just a short walk from bus/train station. The rooms (although quite small) are spotless with cleaning service in every day to change towels and sheets every other day. Breakfast was very good quality and there was plenty to choose from , the staff here were very nice and always willing to help. The only fault I would have about the hotel is the walls in the bedrooms are very thin (we could hear the people next door snoring all night !!) and the tiles on the floor in the corridor made a lot of noise at night when people passed with high heels or pulling suitcases. Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend it and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple