“Nice hotel but tiny double room”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #73 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The hotel itself is lovely, nice staff, good breakfast. however we were 2 friends (60 years old) who had booked a double/twin room. Our beds were almost beside each other and squished against walls. We had to leave our suitcases (we only had 1 each) in the bathroom as there was just nowhere else. After 2 nights (out of 6) when I couldn't stick it anymore I went to reception to asked for a bigger room (like we had been shown in the brochures). They said that all the room were the same. We found out later that this was a lie and we visited 2 other rooms which were a normal double size and looked like you could walk around them a bit. When we went back to our room after breakfast the housekeeper had been in. she pushed a locker between the beds. Now one bed was blocking the door to the balcony. We had to scramble over it to get out to the balcony with some effort. Our bathroom door didn't shut so we had to wedge a carton in it to have some privacy. The walls are thin you can hear your neighbours flushing the toilet, having a shower etc. On the balcony the view down into the garden is lovely, if you looked up it was derelict building...and not charming old Italian buildings, more like construction work. Sorrento itself was wonderful we also did a tour of Amalfi, Pompeii and the island of Capri. These were brilliant experiences I would recommend them. the people we met were welcoming and kind. We booked with topflight, it wasn't a cheap holiday so was expecting a better sized room.

1  Thank l m

Reviewed 23 September 2013

The Astoria had run out of rooms and sent us to a high-end competitor where we got an amazing upgrade to a junior suite overlooking Sorrento's harbor. The Astoria paid the difference between their price and the more expensive hotel. They made our vacation.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Nibley
Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

Took a week long stay at the Astoria as part of a Topflight package.

The hotel is located in the old town, surrounded by lots of little restaurants and shops and within easy walk of the main square and harbour. Its spotless, well laid out (tiled throughout, newly renovated?) and the staff were mostly very helpful - at least 2 visits to service room everyday.

We had a room with a balcony and found it relaxing and quiet. Air conditioning also worked well when needed. Breakfast choice was good.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel. We'd definitely stay at the astoria if we visit Sorrento again.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Omlette74
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Booked this hotel through Thomson due to central location and could not be more pleased with you have that. It is only 5 minutes from the lift to the port area (currently €1.80 return). And minutes from the Piazza Tasso and the Corsa Italia. The staff have generally been great, attentive without being over bearing. The only issue I have is that you can hear quite a lot from other rooms, possible sound proofing issues.

Also there is no restaurant on site. This is not really a problem though as there are quite a lot in walking distance.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I had a decent stay at the Astoria which ended with a very frustrating experience. On the plus side the hotel is very central, within easy walking distance to the hustle and bustle of Sorrento. Staff are mostly friendly and helpful (specially the afternoon guy at reception who is lovely) and the rooms at the side have a balcony which overlooks a lovely courtyard with lemon trees. My room was small but adequate and clean.

However this was all marred by my check out experience.

I booked my room via Hotels.com, originally this was for a single room with double occupancy. However a friend came to stay with me and I asked Hotel.com to call the hotel (one month in advance) to ask if double occupancy was possible and how much it would cost. The hotel (via somebody called Antonio) replied that it was not a problem and they would not charge us extra for the double occupancy since we weren't paying for breakfasts anyway.

However, when I went to check out, I was charged nearly double what was agreed, since they insisted that two people had to pay more.
This turned into a very long and frustrating experience with the abrupt night receptionist who phoned the management a couple of times and then informed us that we had to pay more.

We called Hotels.com who promptly called the Astoria back since they also had a record of the earlier phone call to the hotel. But it was no avail. I ended up paying a lot more for a hotel room which I WOULD NOT have chosen for that amount of money. I am livid by the Astoria's lack of professionalism in not honouring the agreement of one of their own staff.

Hotel.com agreed to refund the extra amount into my Hotel.com account- but not in cash - and so I can only use it to stay at another hotel. I am currently on holiday and as such had really not budgeted for the extra expenditure. I remain really angry at the Astoria's greedy attitude and feel quite ripped off.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

We spent several days in this hotel. This is very nicely located in the heart of old city. Hotel is
clean and reasonalby good, with a nice gargen, but does not really 4 stars: rooms are small,
walls thin so you hear neighbors, service is moderate.

Room Tip: ask rooms at 4 floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I agree with "holidaymagicpeople" below and "did we stay at the same place..."...??
I think many travellers, especially Americans, do not know how southern Europe hotels are "starred"(you should deduct one star) and they expect soo much. Many hotels are OLD buildings. You are living in ancient places where plumming and electricity systems are OLD. Rooms are small, walls are usually thin. Can't handle that, book yourself into a newly built luxury hotel instead. For me, old is part of the charm when travelling in Italy, and especially in Sorrento and the Amalfi coast.
I stayed at Astoria for 12 nights and do not have one negative thing to say. Staff very friendly and helpful, room was wonderful, really "italian", with colorful tiles. I loved my veranda! Ok, I can agree air condition was a little noisy SOMETIMES, but hey.. No big deal. Fridge too small?? From what I could see, it was standard size for hotelrooms. Maybe they are bigger if you rent an apartment.
Wifi worked perfectly, also in my room.
I sleep late, so didn't try the breakfast.
So, thanks for 11 beautiful days in Sorrento (this was my third time), I will definetely stay in Astoria when I visit Sorrento next time!

Heidi

Room Tip: My room was on the forth floor facing the old town, very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo