“When can I come back a third time??”
Review of Grand Hotel Royal

Grand Hotel Royal
Ranked #21 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This hotel is absolutely superb! The hotel is furnished beautifully, the views across the bay of naples stunning, staff are very pleasant, swimming pool delightful, rooms spotlessly clean, but to top it off the food is simply out of this world!
Breakfast was an experience to behold. Beautifully laid out, more than you needed to choose from; cereals, yoghurts, cheeses, fruits, hams, cold meats, alongside the more traditional "fried" breakfast type foods and eggs that are cooked for you as you would like them, in any way you wanted.
I would absolutely recommend half board for this hotel. Normally I like to visit local restaurants when I'm on holiday but the food in this hotel outshone any of the local restaurant food.
For half board you get a choice of three of four starters, main course, dessert, with beautiful olives and salads and breads. Everything comes served on silver platters and the choice is amazing. The wine list is extensive and caters for all different tastes and price ranges. Obviously this isn't included in the cost, but the whole thing of coming to dinner and choosing which wine from their extensive wine cellar each night made it really special. I absolutely could not fault it.
I very much look forward to returning to this hotel in future, I can't imagine a better one in Sorrento!

Room Tip: Go for a beautiful sea view room, the views over the Bay of Naples are stunning!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Splendid hotel, setting, features but food and service do not live up to standard. Our room outlook was not very pleasant either.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank unclejohnt
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel last July for two weeks and I have only just got round to writing a review. It is a fabulous hotel - wonderful location, lovely rooms (don't worry about the noise from the road side rooms unless you leave your window open), and excellent food. But the main thing that has made us book again is the staff - fantastic - couldn't do enough to ensure you enjoyed your stay - and I have to single out the restaurant staff especially. When I didn't like the risotto, there was major concern! There wasn't anything wrong with the risotto - I just don't like it but thought I would try it on my first time to Italy! Due to the deserved popularity of this hotel, we have only managed to get a week in July, but are so looking forward to returning. Especially looking forward to meeting Antonino, Bruno and of course Franco again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JuliaLawley
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from a vacation on the Amalfi Coast. Our trip started in Sorrento and we stayed at the Grand Hotel Royal. This is a five star Hotel posing as a four star. Everything about the Hotel was outstanding. The rooms were spotlessly clean and our balcony overlooked the Bay and the beautiful grounds. The staff at every level could not be more helpful. This was our first trip to this part of Italy and we had many questions. They were very gracious,and patient, and helped us with all our needs in Sorrento. The food in all the Hotel's restaurants was excellent, but I would be remiss if I did not comment especially about the breakfast. It was simply the best assortment of breakfast treats my wife and I have ever enjoyed. Vacations are supposed to be memorable and a Hotel like the Grand Royal works very hard to achieve that goal. It was an outstanding experience which we hope to enjoy again, and recommend highly to all our friends.
Marlene and Bill Laraia

Room Tip: Be sure to select a room with a balcony that has a view of the bay
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank William L
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This was my fourth holiday to Sorrento but my first at the Royal Hotel and it certainly won't be my last! This is an excellent four star hotel, which deserves to be five star. The location above the Marina is excellent and so close to the town centre. The views from the terrace across to Vesuvius are superb. All the staff are very friendly and helpful and even acknowledge you if they happen to pass you in the street. The food in the restaurant was good and varied, although the hot food at breakfast was not always as hot as one would like. The rooms are a very good size and well furnished. We had a room overlooking the main road, but had no problem at all with noise.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed 19 May 2012

My husband and I have just returned from ten days in glorious Sorrento.
We stayed at the Grand Royal which deserves more than 4 stars. It is a typical, traditional Italian hotel, spotlessly clean and very charming.
What makes this hotel so great are four things: the Location, very close to the centre of town and all the activity (shopping heaven); the uninterrupted Views over the bay of Naples to Vesuvius are breathtaking, glorious at sundown sipping your Campari; the Food is varied and delicious. We were half board and went into town for lunch, which was perfect; and lastly the Staff! From Serena at Reception, to the waiters in the restaurant and at the pool, right down to the lovely chambermaid - every staff member we met was always friendly, helpful and polite - often with a great sense of humour. Lovely people all of them - it must be all that sunshine!
We will definitely go back, but next time ask for a room with seaview. The rooms onto the via correale can be a little bit noisy if you sleep with the windows open. With the windows closed and aircon on no problem.
I would give a holiday in Sorrento at the Grand Royal 10 out of 10. A great base for touring the Amalfi coast.

Room Tip: A top seaview room has fabulous views over the Bay of Naples onto Vesuvius and is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anneke N
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The only good thing about this hotel was the staff and they were always polite and friendly. But the main problem with the hotel is that unless you pay for a sea view, your room will overlook a very, very busy main road....and 'very busy' is probably an understatement as it actually sounded like a race track at night. The sound of mopeds bombing up and down and people shouting most of the night made our stay miserable...due to the severe lack of sleep we were getting. Unfortunately, when you book either through a travel agent or the hotel directly, no one is going to be honest enough to tell you of this major disadvantage. So, unfortunately, we definitely wont be going back to this hotel or Sorrento either.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family